User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
mike cummins OP
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 677
hp2 enduro

So, i have clocked up about 15,000 klms in 2 trips from sydney to SE asia and from sydney to darwin return. The Hp2 is faultless, road or dirt it hammers, a genuine outback bike , not saying a bmw gs could not do it but the hp2 does it easy.
Tires i use the 150 x 18 scout on the rear and the metzler sahara on the front.
The scout is good for 8,000klms which means they can stick the karoo wear the sun dont shine, the sahara is pretty much rooted but still good for 10,000.
the Renazo suede seat gets wet in the rain so im taking that off. I highly recommend the "beringer" brake and clutch assemblies as they smooth the operatio out, i hate the high first gear of the hp2 and would like some suggestions on changing that, also the notchy throttle is a pain in the ass. The unifilter pods i put in dont seem to sit that well so im replacing that with the k&n rectangular foam filter, same shape as the paper one only its cleanable.
The 23litre hpn tank is good for 380kms if u do 110 but around 310 if u sit on 140kph.
So after a long ride from one end of our country to the other via brisbane i can say , bmw missed an opportunity in stopping production of the hp2, if they brought it out with a big tank and screen and better suspension and a soft bag setup with waterproof bags it would have owned the class of true adventure touring . Yes bmw own the adventure bike class, but like a lot of the so called adventure bikes, they rarely leave the road and are too heavy to pickup when the road becomes " a road less travelled" Long live the HP2
mike cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
oldfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
hp2 enduro

The name of the bike tells it all. Not hp2 adventure bike-hp2 enduro. The hp2 is a much more offroad focused machine so I don't expect, or want, it to have creature comforts or any extra junk not needed on a dirt bike that has a license plate on it. That being said most of my 47,000 miles are street miles but when I go offroad it really handles like I expect a dirt bike to handle. I just finished a 4700 mile road ride and there was some wiggling around to be done but I still have that stupid smile on my face that only hp2 riders know about, except for maybe ktm super enduro owners. A dirt bike with a big enough engine to go interstate. Yeah Richard
oldfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,418
Yeah still loving mine - an endlesss love affair. Presently doing a WP front end swap

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
mike cummins OP
OUTBACK RIDER

hp2 enduro

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfool View Post
The name of the bike tells it all. Not hp2 adventure bike-hp2 enduro. The hp2 is a much more offroad focused machine so I don't expect, or want, it to have creature comforts or any extra junk not needed on a dirt bike that has a license plate on it. That being said most of my 47,000 miles are street miles but when I go offroad it really handles like I expect a dirt bike to handle. I just finished a 4700 mile road ride and there was some wiggling around to be done but I still have that stupid smile on my face that only hp2 riders know about, except for maybe ktm super enduro owners. A dirt bike with a big enough engine to go interstate. Yeah Richard
Yep i was only saying that the bike when set up for a trip has so much potential compared to the gs which cannot hope to live up to its marketing.
The rest of my coment was related to basically my setup as i thought hp2 owners might be interested re tires etc.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
mike cummins OP
OUTBACK RIDER

wp suspension/big dom

you can put on a 48 wp with gds motorsport tripple , these can be matched to beringer brake and clutch assemblys , big improvement.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike cummins View Post
you can put on a 48 wp with gds motorsport tripple , these can be matched to beringer brake and clutch assemblys , big improvement.
I have WP 48's that are being converted to right length and foot and custom tripple being machined. Not sure about the beringer options - where did you source them? Are you talkning hand controls/levers when you say "assemblys". I already use two finger custom levers in the OEM setup.

Re tyres = do you not find the centre strip on the Heidi Scout (presuming this is the scout you referring to) wants to spin out? I am using a Mitas E09 rear with success and same in front or Conti TKC80.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
mike cummins OP
OUTBACK RIDER

hp2

big dom if u sms me +61418277128 i will send pics of my setup. Re the tyres, i look for wear time/ klms then grip, as i have had these up some dirt tracks with reasoable success .
Im keen to try a more dirt orientated tyre ie 70/30 and just go for it on a track somewhere but at the moment the heidi scout seems to give me the klms , i will check out what u said on my next ride.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,357
40,000 km on mine now from new and still love it. Never going to sell it.

I bought the Husky to stop beating up the HP2 offroad and it has made the difference. No more worrying about the HP2 whatsoever. It always got me through everything I tossed at it but I prefer retaining its few battle scar without adding anymore.

Just got an S1RR to replace the HP2 on the track. Now I've got it all while keeping the HP2 to long runs and dusty roads. I leave the really rough stuff for the Husky though.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQD8R View Post
40,000 km on mine now from new and still love it. Never going to sell it.

I bought the Husky to stop beating up the HP2 offroad and it has made the difference. No more worrying about the HP2 whatsoever. It always got me through everything I tossed at it but I prefer retaining its few battle scar without adding anymore.

Just got an S1RR to replace the HP2 on the track. Now I've got it all while keeping the HP2 to long runs and dusty roads. I leave the really rough stuff for the Husky though.

Very similar position - bought a Husky TE610E for the more technical and shorter DS rides and also loving it (also after I holed the sump of my HP2 pushing it a bit too hard it made me think again ... never mind turrning 54 on Friday!) Now the RR - that would just be the cherry on top = in the meantime a '76 R100S cafe racer project must suffice for me.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #10
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,972
From what I have heard, K&N filters don`t work all that well, I`d be thinking twice before using one. An engine rebuild on the HP2 won`t be cheap.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #11
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
From what I have heard, K&N filters don`t work all that well, I`d be thinking twice before using one. An engine rebuild on the HP2 won`t be cheap.
Yeah depends on the conditions and servicing - if regularly serviced and well greased on the flange they are fine ... for very dusty (yes Oz type) conditions the Uni foam filter is better and that is why I am now running it. The other advantage is it has a pre-filter condom for the snorkel that catches a lot before the main filter - one just needs to ensure it is not over oiled as can be restrictive. I carry a spare pre-oiled in a ziplok bag.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,972
Have a look at this, good advice here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817824

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote