ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
phillipsrog OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Thumb Rally advice

I realize this is kind of a loaded question, but I am planning trips for next year and trying to decide whether to attend any rallies. I would like to hear from people who have been to a few. I'm interested in meeting other riders and learning some new country. But my idea of a good time riding is not being the 15th bike back on a dusty dirt road, which kind of seems like a strong possibility with a rally.

Or is the riding done getting there and going home and then it's just one big party when you get there?

I'm interested in one in the Northwest and keeping tabs on where they're going to be. Any advice is appreciated, and I really don't want to start any slam fests. I'm just trying to figure out if I want to use a long weekend to attend one, or just take off with a couple buddies and do our own thing.
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrog View Post
I realize this is kind of a loaded question, but I am planning trips for next year and trying to decide whether to attend any rallies. I would like to hear from people who have been to a few. I'm interested in meeting other riders and learning some new country. But my idea of a good time riding is not being the 15th bike back on a dusty dirt road, which kind of seems like a strong possibility with a rally.

Or is the riding done getting there and going home and then it's just one big party when you get there?

I'm interested in one in the Northwest and keeping tabs on where they're going to be. Any advice is appreciated, and I really don't want to start any slam fests. I'm just trying to figure out if I want to use a long weekend to attend one, or just take off with a couple buddies and do our own thing.
Been to a few rally's and they've all been a little bit different. Sometimes I've done the big group rides and other times just run with a rider or two. Some guys do their solo thing as well. You can still meet up with folks at lunches, check-ins etc. The gatherings around the fires, sharing of stories (and "resources" ) and bike camaraderie make up for any bad group ride experiences. Don't know if you don't try.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
ADV rallies tend to be different than the standard MC rallies.

Pay your fee. Show up. Talk to like minded people and if you find someone who is talking about an interesting ride, join in. The most I have ridden with was half a dozen. Some groups get larger, but not all.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
cdriver
KATS JR

Oddometer: 166
Rally

I believe the national BMW rally is in Oregon this year, the rallies they put on always seem to be top notch.
cdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,562
Check out the Hell's Canyon ride. Great scenery, roads and people. Everyone breaks into compatable groups that want to go to the same places. There is a thread in the PNW region.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdriver View Post
I believe the national BMW rally is in Oregon this year, the rallies they put on always seem to be top notch.
Yes, it is in Salem this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
Check out the Hell's Canyon ride. Great scenery, roads and people. Everyone breaks into compatable groups that want to go to the same places. There is a thread in the PNW region.
This is one rally that you can make to be whatever you want it to be. Mostly any type of riding you would want, with many or few companions, at your choosing.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843668

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #7
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,375
If you would like to see pictures from last years Hells Canyon/Wallowa Valley Gathering

The start of this thead has a number of photos from 2011, scroll down to post 8:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734889

Picture thread from 2012
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800731

Come join in on the fun.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
phillipsrog OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Thanks for the intel

You will probably see us at the Hells Canyon ride. It sounds like fun. Thanks for your hard work putting it on.
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrog View Post
You will see us at the Hells Canyon ride. It will be fun. Thanks for your hard work putting it on.

Fixt.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote