Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #1
Jonny042 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Strong dollar, cheap gas - good for US Trials?

If the trend continues (or flattens) for any length of time, we should see a pretty big drop in prices of new bikes, gear, etc.

Hopefully the price of gas doesn't stays low too, these are two major factors for a lot of people when it comes to their involvement in the sport.

Thoughts?
Jonny042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,054
The Nationals have been in a downward spiral ever since gas topped 3 bucks. I used to think nothing about a 2 thousand mile trip.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:12 AM   #3
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,539
We're a big country with a lot of huge mungus vehicles. A drive across Texas is like Berlin to Moscow but, our fuel is MUCH cheaper than theirs and our miles are easier to drive than Euro or UK miles by a lot!

I think a bigger problem is small mindedness. That will mean different things to different people, but who we support and how far is what I mean.

It's good to promote trials locally and within a state. Oklahoma is OK locally, but piss poor about state-wide thinking. It shows in stagnation and collapse of some local clubs. We have no state series. No state club. I suppose that is the norm most places?

What we have is a club with too few members who travel well, another club that has shrunk to a few guys and one great property putting on great events, and there is my place and struggle to grow a club in a low population area.

My place got 'tapped on the shouler' to host a premier 2015 event by the biggest club. That surprised and encouraged me about the future prospects of trials in Oklahoma.

The reason given was all the work I had done on my place for a decade. There was also hosting in a very cool and different locale further show off Oklahoma diversity. But the steering committee got cold feet and pulled back to last-year's locale 3 hours closer. Very understandable given it is their premier fundraiser event, but I suspect the late decision may shrink rather than grow Oklahoma trials.

motobene screwed with this post 03-25-2015 at 07:06 AM
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 6,538
Well that sounds better than my state, which is Iowa. We have no clubs and very few active riders. The few events that are held within IA borders are promoted and attended by a club in a neighboring state. They just happen to know someone in IA, who has allowed a trials on their land.

The very first motorcycle event I ever entered at 17, was a local Iowa trials in 1973. When I started to actively focus more on trials in the mid to late 80's there was an active club, who promoted a series of trials at several different venues around the state. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately, that group disbanded around 1990 when some individuals of the club, tried to impose a helmet rule and no drinking while riding rule. Many riders had beer cooleys attached to their bikes. For all practical purposes, Iowa trials has never resumed.

Fortunately I live near IL and WI borders which both have active clubs. So does MN. But I drive almost 1000 miles for work a week and the last thing I want to do is travel more than a couple of hours on the weekend. So I can never see me chasing Nationals, although I may go to NE this year, since it's somewhat close for me.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
Racergirl18
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Well for me.....

When they can set up a National with dates that do not include school, I could make more of them......
Or maybe all of them...
Old 03-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #6
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racergirl18 View Post
When they can set up a National with dates that do not include school, I could make more of them......
Or maybe all of them...
Well, ride the Eastern series as they are all in the summer. Some areas are actually inhabitable in the summer. Trials Training Center should be one of them.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #7
Brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 3,141
Very interesting thread, and some damn fascinating replies as well. I've got some thoughts on this, but they are still smashing about in my Tecate marinated skull right now to extract intact. I will say that I'm enjoying $2 a gallon fuel in my 8mpg camper now rather than the $3.65 fuel that was prevalent when I bought it. Sorta offsets the $5.45 a gallon AvGas that I insist on for the Trials bikes.
Brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #8
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Brewtus , You read this crap ? Unfortunately or maybe fortunately, that group disbanded around 1990 when some individuals of the club, tried to impose a helmet rule and no drinking while riding rule. Many riders had beer cooleys attached to their bikes. For all practical purposes, Iowa trials has never resumed.

Sounds similar to a few things. That`s mainly why our club is such a big camping club. The campfire the night before. Seen more than my share of Nationals like this. Nowadays it`s two beers a loop! No wonder Vintage has become so fun.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:50 AM   #9
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 6,538
Yea I was one of the guys who insisted on wearing helmets. We built a stadium trials and held it in my backyard around 1990. Since it was on my property I insisted on wearing helmets. A number of people didn't show because of it.

I wish I could find some typical competitor photos from back then. No helmet, cigarette dangling from the lips and a beer swinging from the handlebars. Guess I'm just no fun...
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:09 AM   #10
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

We started wearing helmets around 1974. But recently there was much criticism if you ride even ten feet without one. I agree it is a good example to set, but I have been caught miles away from the pits with a naked head. But then again I refuse to wear a bicycle helmet.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #11
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,539
We in Oklahoma are better off than many places, so I ought not complain. I remember the days when I was THE only trials rider in South Carolina, which is just one of several reasons I stayed on a few years.

The Iowa story is fascinating. Motorcycling in general is inhabited by those inclined to be individualists, and imposing things too fast or with the wrong spirit leads to voting with the feet. A tiff, an imposition, then poof! Club be gone.

I think of clubs as social organisms primarily, and a competition venues secondarily. When that gets flipped problems can grow.

Jesus warned his followers to be wary of the yeast of rigid religious types because it will ruin the whole loaf. We need structure... but not too much and not from a fundamentalist's spirit. It's just not worth it to take ourselves too seriously.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #12
Racergirl18
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Since we are being side tracked......

Other dis appointment on a April Trials, is that most of us cant even get on a bike to play, living in the north it is a huge disadvantage, If they were to get clubs to at least set up times for mid summer or fall, we could all at least have time under our belts,
Lucky for me, I get to ride everyday now that I am in Western Colorado.
Spending the Week in Az training every day with the Ropers.
And when I am back at school, I usually book an hour a day....

Here is my back yard , 12 Minutes from school

Racergirl18 screwed with this post 03-25-2015 at 04:31 PM
Racergirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #13
Brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racergirl18 View Post
Spending the Week in Az training every day with the Ropers.

Not a bad way to spend a week!

As far as the fuel cost thing goes, I guess it all depends on how deep your desire is. The bottom fell out of the economy a few years after I got into Trials. It was around that time that I got rid of my slow 29mpg Toyota pickup and bought a quicker, more camp-friendly 10mpg fullsize Dodge van. I made more events with the van than I ever did with the Toyota, worse mileage and Calvin Klein-priced fuel notwithstanding.

The Nats are coming up, and I'm gonna make at least the Texas round, if not the Arizona event as well. Not taking my own camper, but riding along with BetaRambo and some other friends in BR's Dizzle Dodge/Toyhauler combo. BR and I went to the Comache a couple of weeks ago, splitting the cost of diesel out there and back. At first I was sorta shocked what that Dually Dodge ate up pulling what, 18,000lbs down the road, but then realization dawned that my 37-year old 440-powered Dodge Class C would not be any better on fuel. Our desire however, was huge to go ride such a cool event. Money spent, not another thought wasted on it after such a fun weekend.

This does not mean that frugal is ignored here. Miss Bitters and I are taking her Tundra to the NMTA event in Gallup this weekend. I cannot not get my Barbie Fun-Mobile Class C to Gallup for what the total cost for fuel to and from Gallup will be in the Tundra, even with the motel cost thrown in. I do dig camping in it, but with the silly schedule upon us I gotta watch some $$.

As far as the dwindling club membership sidetrack goes, we are damn fortunate here in NM that we don't suffer......much.....from these woes. Sure club membership is down from years past, but I understand NMTA has always had it ebbs and flows. We do have a statewide championship, and we do ride.....some.....parts of the state, some fairly far away from the Albuquerque/Santa Fe "hub" of the club. What we don't have is a club member that owns a Tish or a Palo Duro, so we are constantly looking for places to hold events. So far it's mostly Forrest Circus or BLeM land, which is getting more and more challenging to get access to.

Now then where did I put my flat cap, cigarettes, and beer coolie??

Brewtus screwed with this post 03-25-2015 at 06:39 PM Reason: The LAND is not blemished......
Brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:05 PM   #14
Old Geezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtus View Post

Now then where did I put my flat cap, cigarettes, and beer coolie??
+1

76 TY175
Whitehawk 80
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #15
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, this is about cheap gas prices and head protection. I`m probably one of the few that`s been saved by my flat cap. I remember doing a fine 4th gear wheelie up Embudo canyon. I`d only gone about 300 yards, when wham I fell off the back. Damn if I didn`t land head down on my new vinyl Montesa cap. Good thing as it sure saved my scalp. (Summer of `73 on my famous `71 Cota 247)
Back to cheap gas, hopefully the prices hold out this summer. I need to get more cheap bastards to ride the other MWVTA events in Colorado this year!