Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #31
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Eh? Mapsource

Garmin sucks at defining terms. Sometimes "Mapsource" means the 'base' program that everything builds from and sometimes it refers to individual map packeages. They used to include a disc called Trip & Waypoint Manager with their products, if you can find something like that to download it might be a good first step. I think that they 'include' (or used to) "Mapsource" in each map package so if you were to load "City Navigator" into your unit, it would include "Mapsource". I am on day one of high speed I-net so I haven't tried looking around on their site yet. Good luck,

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #32
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,669
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #33
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
Garmin sucks at defining terms. Sometimes "Mapsource" means the 'base' program that everything builds from and sometimes it refers to individual map packeages. They used to include a disc called Trip & Waypoint Manager with their products, if you can find something like that to download it might be a good first step. I think that they 'include' (or used to) "Mapsource" in each map package so if you were to load "City Navigator" into your unit, it would include "Mapsource". I am on day one of high speed I-net so I haven't tried looking around on their site yet. Good luck,

Bruce
MapSource is no longer used as a map brand name in any of the newer Garmin maps. So, if you see the name MapSource before the map name, it is most likely an old (≤ 2008/9) product. The trip planning software MapSource is no longer included with newer Garmin map products; BaseCamp is.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #34
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Mapsource is now 'out of date'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
MapSource is no longer used as a map brand name in any of the newer Garmin maps. So, if you see the name MapSource before the map name, it is most likely an old (≤ 2008/9) product. The trip planning software MapSource is no longer included with newer Garmin map products; BaseCamp is.

Cheers,

That fits exactly with what I have, my newest Garmin maps are "Mapsource BlueChart Americas" and dated 2007. I have heard that you can't get them on CD (DVD?) anymore and need to get a 'chip' instead which would seem to fit with what little I know about BaseCamp.

Would it be a good (or bad?) idea for me to try and integrate "BaseCamp" into my stuff or would it just create problems? For the near future, I don't see getting any new mapping software, perhaps since my 'system' is working I should leave it the heck alone?
Hmmm, it appears that instead of offering help I am now asking for it.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #35
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,096
Bruce, I don't believe BaseCamp supports BlueCharts. You might want to take a look at Garmin HomePort (which is not Free) or just stay with MapSource.

For those map products that are only available on SD Cards or Download, you can always use them in a Card Reader with your Computer or make a "Disc Image" to mount on your computer so you don't have to have your GPS connected with BaseCamp to use the map.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #36
Rapid_Roy OP
finally understands

Oddometer: 25,028
Ha! I came home from Rick's RDV with extra cash, and the Etrex Legend died, so I convinced my wife to let me buy a Garmin GPSMAP 62 stc at half price with all topos loaded. Mr GPS, I mean, Cannonshot, clued me into that deal at REI.

Crap, now I have to figure out how to use it. It's just slightly more advanced than what I had.

Rapid_Roy screwed with this post 05-21-2014 at 08:25 AM
Rapid_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote