User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #46
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Great to meet you this past weekend.

I had time to read this at work today (shhhh)
What a great ride report with excellent photography and story telling.
You should do this more often...

I'm not sure if you read mine so here it is if you like,
http://dualsport.smugmug.com/2011Rid...9256&k=72jHLwt

Yours brought back lots of great memories.
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #47
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,752
Someone mentioned just about any bike and tire combo can make the trip...any adventure bike? Or ANY bike? I have a GW but don't want to take it up there but the New NC700 is my latest obsession. It has street tires on it but if I got it and planed on making the trip I would throw some beefier rubber on there if only for the rocks.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #48
fastredbike OP
recovering

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
Someone mentioned just about any bike and tire combo can make the trip...any adventure bike? Or ANY bike? I have a GW but don't want to take it up there but the New NC700 is my latest obsession. It has street tires on it but if I got it and planed on making the trip I would throw some beefier rubber on there if only for the rocks.
I've seen ride reports with pics of people doing it on older wings, gl500s, 70's CB900s, 1150RTs etc. Nick949eldo posted several times to this thread and he did it on a very "experienced" Moto Guzzi Eldorado. Look for one of his posts and follow the link to his RR. It's just a really, really long gravel road. I'd still prefer to do it on an "adventure bike" but not having one wouldn't keep me away.
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #49
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredbike View Post
I've seen ride reports with pics of people doing it on older wings, gl500s, 70's CB900s, 1150RTs etc. Nick949eldo posted several times to this thread and he did it on a very "experienced" Moto Guzzi Eldorado. Look for one of his posts and follow the link to his RR. It's just a really, really long gravel road. I'd still prefer to do it on an "adventure bike" but not having one wouldn't keep me away.
Searched the name and wow. If he made it on that, the NC700 will be no problem. What a great read also!

I now have a new mission. I have wanted to ride that part of north America for as long as I remember. My plan? Sell my XRL, an HD rapido I have had for 20+ years,, get a NC (and maybe paint it...) and ride that road.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #50
fastredbike OP
recovering

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Searched the name and wow. If he made it on that, the NC700 will be no problem. What a great read also!

I now have a new mission. I have wanted to ride that part of north America for as long as I remember. My plan? Sell my XRL, an HD rapido I have had for 20+ years,, get a NC (and maybe paint it...) and ride that road.
I'll be watching for your RR!
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #51
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:

Minor thread drift - apologies.

Heck - take the HD Rapido! Now that would be an adventure - and certainly the most interesting Harley ever to have been in Labrador.

Are you sure that taking a new NC700 is a good idea? A single off could get expensive. I can't believe I'm saying this .....but If I were in your position, i'd probably buy a well sorted, well used KLR for the trip, sell it on my return, then buy the NC700

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #52
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredbike View Post
I'll be watching for your RR!
Sorry to get your hopes up but it is not going to be up anytime soon... It hurts me more then it hurts you!
EDIT-DOH! I read your report! I might even hit Newfoundland on the way back!(? thats not on the way back....)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Minor thread drift - apologies.

Heck - take the HD Rapido! Now that would be an adventure - and certainly the most interesting Harley ever to have been in Labrador.

Are you sure that taking a new NC700 is a good idea? A single off could get expensive. I can't believe I'm saying this .....but If I were in your position, i'd probably buy a well sorted, well used KLR for the trip, sell it on my return, then buy the NC700

Nick
what? I know someone who rode a 40 yo guzzi did NOT just suggest to take a KLR to the great white north....

I have an XRL650 that would make the trip...but not with me on it. It would take me 3 days just to get to the US/Canada border!
I could make it on the Goldwing, but I am not even going to try.

Just to ease your mind, it wont be new when I head out on the trip since I wont have it in time this year so it will be next year in September...if I am lucky.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #53
HellCat650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Nice job on the write up!

Brings back memories...

We went in August and when I asked the locals they told me that they had an extremely dry spring / summer and that the bugs were almost non-existent (compared to normal).

I would say that we lucked out for 2012 with the bugs.

Matt
Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #54
Oil-Burner
Ssssssssmokin

Oddometer: 27
Thumb Great trip report!

Wonderful photography and narrative, thanks for sharing.