User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
wesel123 OP
VERY Proud Daddy

Oddometer: 252
Can't get a solid yes/no on Plating in California

Can anyone enlighten me on whether or not you can REALLY get a green sticker plated here in California??

I've done as much searching as I can on this site but cant' get a solid answer?

I know certain years are no-no's and having a 3 or a C in the 8th digit of the Vin is also a no-no. But, for example, if I bought an 02 KTM 520 EXC(Green sticker) put the proper kit on have the local dealer do a light, break check and so on, will the DMV do it.
05 BMW RT
wesel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
No, you cannot.
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
I have a very time honored, traditional and ancient remedy for any of your legality questions.

Why don't YOU look up the codes and laws for yourself, rather than go by the opinions of others.

This will keep you out of any legal trouble you might find yourself in b/c someone else told you you can.

Judges love and hate that as a defense because it's a clear win for them, and you just admitted you don't know anything about the law.

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse"
Old 08-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
wesel123 OP
VERY Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
I have a very time honored, traditional and ancient remedy for any of your legality questions.

Why don't YOU look up the codes and laws for yourself, rather than go by the opinions of others.

This will keep you out of any legal trouble you might find yourself in b/c someone else told you you can.

Judges love and hate that as a defense because it's a clear win for them, and you just admitted you don't know anything about the law.

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse"
Yea that's all fine and dandy but when the people writing the laws don't know what they writing or can legitimately understand what they are reading back to you......well you get the idea....
05 BMW RT
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
I get the feeling someone is a little testy today
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,085
Having spent 10+ years in California, I'm about 99% sure you cannot plate a bike that wasn't designed from the factory to be plated.

HOWEVER... if you step across the border into Arizona (assuming you're in SoCal), you could do it there. You might be able to do it in Nevada, but I'm not sure.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
wesel123 OP
VERY Proud Daddy

Some confusion comes from the fact that they allowed it for many years then stoped from 05 to 08 I think. Then the Govenator repealed the law and it was ok again????
05 BMW RT
Old 08-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,085
It might have something to do with emissions regs. I do seem to recall it is or was allowed up to around 2006 models or something. But the f'ing greenies pushed to get it banned since dirt bikes don't follow the same emissions standards that plated bikes do. But in years past, none of them did... it's only the newer models that are starting to have emissions crap on them.

The best move is to call the DMV and ask them... then please post here. :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesel123 View Post
Some confusion comes from the fact that they allowed it for many years then stoped from 05 to 08 I think. Then the Govenator repealed the law and it was ok again????
Not quite correct. For a while you could plate a dirt bike. Somewhere around 2005, the laws changed and you now cannot plate a dirt bike. The DMV went so far as to even recall some plates that had been issued. (If I recall correctly, any model year 2002 or earlier plated bike is safe.)

Today, you can only get a plate for a bike that is California emissions certified.

You can also import a plated bike from out of state if it has over 7,500 miles. However, a friend of mine had an issue getting a CA plate for an Oregon bike even though it was well over 7,500 miles. The person at the DMV kept insisting that it had to be 50 states emissions compliant. (Which is wrong.)
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
wesel123 OP
VERY Proud Daddy

LOL....they were the first ones I called.......man oh man was that frustrating. The kind DMV employee (I use that term VERy loosely) informed me that the bike will have to have all of the proper road gear, e.g. lights, horn and so on. She said it will have to have the sticker that reads the bike meets all state emissions controls.

So I though great I can do that.....but then I called back to get a second opinion and was told the total opposite..... "If a motor driven cycle does not come from the factory with the proper equipment to make the vehicle street legal then it cannot be converted to be so".

I quoted back to her what he previous employee said and she flat out said "She is wrong and does not know what she is talking about"
05 BMW RT
Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
It starts with a VIN verification, if that checks out, then yes, you can plate it.

I'm pretty sure you can't call the DMV in California and talk to a person.

Good luck.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
I'm sure I'm already on a few "watch lists" so I don't feel any worse saying; I'm truly surprised more people do not go postal down at the DMV. The IRS may even be more "customer" friendly than the DMV. There is no more frustrating organization to deal with than the DMV from any state I've ever lived in. Wisconsin may have had the best that I've had the pleasure of working with.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #13
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Rob is pretty much on the money, at least the info I have gleaned from a friend that has worked at the DMV for many years. She is even the one who gives the MC riding exams.
She says that basically anymore if your VIN does not come up as a plated bike, you can forget it. It used to be a simple process but the great state of CA has put a stop to that.
Once more, this is second hand knowledge but it is good second hand knowledge !!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
76 bronco J
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
The best move is to call the DMV and ask them... then please post here. :)

Rob[/QUOTE]
>>>>> that's the worst move you can do ...... if I went that route I probably wouldn't have my TT350 on the road for the last 2 months.....I armed myself with every bit of info all by myself & even made copies of certain codes/law to show to the desk clerks since most are clueless about every little law/code & the loopholes......I managed to get my off highway only bike a title & road registered after owning it for 10 years without even any bill of sale........ as far as this thread... here's some info in plain english straight off California's DMV/DOT website that took about 5 minutes to find >>>http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/offhighway.htm ......
76 bronco J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
If the bike was not street legal and CARB compliant which is indicated on the VIN you WILL NOT be able to plate the bike. Never buy an out of state bike and think you will get a plate in CA very unlikely. If you assume one model like Husky TE-510 (comes CA street legal) you cam make the TC-510 street legal.... think again.

2003 was the last year of plated bikes, if you don't already have one with a plate you will not get one... UNLESS you have the contact (getting hard to find) or are willing to pay $$$ to someone who does its possible, well that's the rumor.
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote