User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Lowering a CRF250L Help/Idea

I have an idea of how to lower the crf250L and wanted to see if any of you see a problem with my idea.

As you can see in the picture there is quite a lot of room between the bottom of the shock and the bolt passing through the steel u-shaped bottom of the shock. To lower the bike could I simply drill a hole, say, an inch above the current bolt location and lower the bike? The distance from the bottom of the shock to the current bolt hole looks to be about 1.75". Let me know what you think
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Parigi
Hoinar

Oddometer: 279
First you need to show us more pictures and details of the bike, so we can make a sound judgement
Parigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
Have you already turned down the preload and dropped the forks in the triples? I'd start there.

Drilling a hole and remounting the shock might have interferance issues. You will also limit your suspension travel.

The CFR250L is already one of the lower bikes. I feel that the proper height of a dirt/dual sport bike is to be able to tippie toe it at rest. Flat footing should only be for beginer beginers. Like the first month of trail riding.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Sure you could do that. I would suggest measuring the suspension's motion ratio first to see how much lowering effect it would have. I wouldn't be surprised if a 1 inch difference at the clevice lowers it ~3 inches or so.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A few more picture

Old 08-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The CFR250L is already one of the lower bikes. I feel that the proper height of a dirt/dual sport bike is to be able to tippie toe it at rest. Flat footing should only be for beginer beginers. Like the first month of trail riding.[/QUOTE]

Although I agree fully this is for my lovely wife and I want her to feel like she is in control. With her being a newer rider and having a 29" inseam. If I have to lower the bike to make her feel sure of herself I will.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
Sure you could do that. I would suggest measuring the suspension's motion ratio first to see how much lowering effect it would have. I wouldn't be surprised if a 1 inch difference at the clevice lowers it ~3 inches or so.
That is what I was thinking. I can't see any interference issues but i need to work the suspension with some straps to see if anything could hit. The great part about this idea is it would be easy to raise right back up as she gets comfortable.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,189
Or..........you could wait a bit,,or see if Kouba knows if they have the proper lowering link to fit this new bike,drilling out the shock mount,i don`t know,,i can`t see that being a good thing..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,995
Drilling a new hole would be similar to adjusting the bottom mount of the shock on the WR250R, which many people do. The only problem I can see is the new hole would need to be far enough away from the old hole to leave some "meat." It might drop the bike more than you want.

I can't tell from the picture, but is the lower bracket bolted to the bottom of the shock? If so, you might be able to have a shorter bracket fabricated and just bolt it on. A sheet metal shop should be able to bend one up no problem.
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,861
I'd back off the preload adjuster all the way before trying this idea. It has a threaded collar adjuster, right? Unscrew it all the way and maybe add a strap to keep it from lifting off the spring. She will just be riding in a field to train? I'd not recommend jumping or such with it like that. You may have enough effect by just running the preload to zero on the spring too.

Drilling holes will just weaken it for when you need it taller again. Avoid unless necessary and maybe weld it back up when done?

Navin screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 04:06 PM
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
[QUOTE=Navin;19368746]I'd back off the preload adjuster all the way before trying this idea. QUOTE]

See this^. The preload adjsuter is almost intended for dialing in the height of the bike. Drilling the holes is like cutting and welding a set of crutched to fit instead of using the adjustors.

Also dropping the forks in the triples is pretty easy and important to do. This lowers the bike as well and balances out the weight distribution. If you only lower the rear and lighten up the front yo will have control issues. You typically can only get an inch of lowering but take it. Triming the spring in the fork is another way to lower.

Another option is the cut the seat foam down.

I'd do all of these things before I drill those holes. Though IMO anything you do to lower the bike takes away from the suspension working like it should. Even Kabota lowering links.

That bike sure is shiny. Good for you on getting the bike set up for the Mrs.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
RED1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
There is a genuine honda lowering kit Part No 08R70-KZZ-920, the RRP in Australia is $2,112 !, I don't know what is in it or how low it makes the bike as we only got the info yesterday, it must be comprehensive!
RED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
I would wait just a while to see if they make a lowering link. The WR250R has a very similar one piece link. They make a "Yamalink" that lowers it some and it's about $150, but very nice from what I understand.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:08 AM   #14
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think you are missing the point.

First: Preload is not intended to set the ride height. I is to set sag. so you stay in the correct operating range of the stroke of the shock. Yes this in turn lowers the bike but if my wife was short and 200 lbs it would make the bike ride honorable if I were to lower the bike by using the preload. As it so happens she is 110 lbs so I will be purchasing new springs for her weight.

Second. If I want to buy a lower link I will but I am trying to see what can be done with little labor and $$$.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #15
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,513
Ground clearence will be a lot less.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote