User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
EKIN OP
Just Do It

Oddometer: 544
Dazed & Confused - Rocky Mountain High

I have been posting details of my recent trip out West on a local Georgia forum (Blokessportbike) and was asked by a few to share on ADV. I hope you enjoy the report as much as I enjoyed my first trip to the Rockies.

Also my first ADV Ride Report!

Dazed & Confused

10 Days, 14 States, 4,000+ Miles
Old 06-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
EKIN OP
Just Do It

The Trip:
10 Days - We pushed and made it home one day early.
4,485 Miles
14 States Including Georgia

Our General Route:

Goals:
No trailers.
Get above 10,000 Feet on our bikes.
Take in MOAB.
Million Dollar Highway.
Do some dual sporting.
Have fun & be safe.
Getting to ride out West with my Dad & Friends!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
EKIN OP
Just Do It

It is never easy pulling a trip together. Family, work, finances, motorcycle maintenance, time, the list can go on and on. Once you have the time set aside, green light from family, you also have to decide to go at it alone or invite friends. These guys have ridden so many miles with me over the years, and I am happy all of them were able to be part of the ride.

The Cast:

EKIN

I.P. Freely - I call him "Pee Pee"

Stixx - Ray just turned 70!

Jeff

Mike (My Dad)

The pieces fell into place and off we go!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
EKIN OP
Just Do It

Thursday, May 29th - Cumming, GA - Columbia, MO

We departed early from Cumming, GA and made great time to St. Louis. Not many pics from day one other than our arrival in St. Louis "The Gateway to the West". We sweet talked the guard at the Arch to let us park our bikes for some pics. We watched the Mighty Mississippi for a few minutes before fighting rush hour out of the city.

Repost:

We were so freeking close to the base of the arch, it was impossible to get all of it in a picture. The sun also was setting and we were looking directly into the sunset with our cameras which sucked.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
EKIN OP
Just Do It

Friday, May 30th - Columbia, MO - Denver, CO

Day two = Kansas!

It is the dreaded state for motorcyclist, long, flat, endless slab. I found Kansas different. The miles went by quickly, the scenery while not majestic was very cool, huge sky, windmills (massive), and we found a great place for lunch in the middle of nowhere. Pee Pee even found the end of the rainbow.

The sky was amazing!

We stopped in the middle of nowhere for gas and were directed to a local restaurant for lunch.

At this point we were all getting tired and it was only day two. Nothing like a little fresh pie to help sooth the soul....yum.

The windmills were a great site, at least I had not seen these in person before. Hard to see in this pic, but they are on RH side.

As we closed in on Colorado the sky started to turn grey. Time to gear up.

Once in Colorado we stopped for gas, and captured a cool pic.

We ended up having a long day, but were able to reach Denver on day two.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
EKIN OP
Just Do It

Saturday, May 31st - Denver, CO - Grand Junction, CO

We arrived in Denver and woke up to our first views of the Rockies. The hotel allowed us to park our bikes at the front door for the night, very nice.

You can see my first glimpse of the snowcapped Rockies just over the parked cars in our hotel lot.

Today we would break up our group as Jeff’s GS had a slightly bent rim which would be repaired at Woody’s Wheel Works in Denver. Not easy to find a location to true a GS rim. They were expecting Jeff & he would join us in Grand Junction later in the evening.

Stixx, Pee Pee, and I would take I70 to Grand Junction along with a few stops on the way. My Dad had his RT reserved (rented) in Grand Junction. He flew instead of riding the long slab with the rest of the group as he lives in Orlando, FL.

On our ride out we headed to higher ground reaching US6 at Loveland Pass. We stopped at Loveland Basin where temps were around 60 degrees to layer up. We would head over the pass which is one of the highest in Colorado topping 11,990 feet. The ride up took about 15 minutes with temps dropping over 20 degrees to the upper 30’s.

The views were spectacular..

This was one of my favorite pics, three of us at top of Loveland Pass.

Many of the highest elevations received over 300 inches of snow this winter in the Rockies. Check out the wall of snow behind Pee Pee’s bike which was well over 20 feet. Remember this is June.

After we completed Loveland Pass we headed for Grand Junction rejoining I70. This must be one of the most spectacular pieces of super slab in the country. I was keeping up with Pee Pee & Stixx as we negotiated the high speed sweepers through the canyons. I regret not taking more pictures, but I was enjoying the ride to much to stop. They do call this vacation you know.....
Here is a link to all of the key points of interest along I70. Let me tell you it is not to be missed if you head to Colorado.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_70_in_Colorado
Old 06-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
EKIN OP
Just Do It

Saturday, May 31st - Continued
My phone rang about 10 miles outside of Grand Junction while riding & it was my Dad. We had covered 1,800 miles in 2 & ˝ days, my Dad had flown two legs to Grand Junction from Orlando and we arrived within 10 minutes of each other. We met for lunch at a local brew pub & talked about what to do for the evening before heading to MOAB in the morning.

The staff told us to take in Colorado National Monument, which was great advice. Our bellies were full we had checked into our hotel dropping off some of our gear and headed to the National Park. Dad and Stixx flew through the park as they were both getting tired. Pee Pee & I slowed down and enjoyed some more of the views.

Repost...

The views kept getting better & better as we worked through the park.

We explored a couple of old mines which reminded me of all the history in this area.

Looking out over Grand Junction.

Pee Pee finally stopped bitching about the long ride and decided to have some fun.

The ride heading out of the park with the sun getting low in the sky made for some nice color in these pics.

In summary, we had officially arrived and it was more than expected. Snowcapped mountains, cold temps, reaching the edge of the desert with 97 degree heat, great views, twisties, we were all safe, while enjoying a cold beer at the hotel all in one day.

By the way Woody’s ended up breaking Jeff’s rim while trying to bend it back into shape. They made him a good deal on a used rim and he joined us later that same evening in Grand Junction.

Tomorrow....MOAB!
Old 06-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
EKIN OP
Just Do It

Sunday, June 1st - MOAB Arches National Park

We grabbed some rest Saturday evening and woke up early with the time difference. The bikes were cranked around 6:45am and we were headed to what felt like another planet.

Heading out of Colorado & hello Utah...

After a short ride on I70 west we jumped on 128 which ran adjacent to the Colorado River. The river in conjunction with the red canyon walls made for some nice smiles as we headed into MOAB.

We arrived at Arches National Park which is truly one of the most majestic places you can visit. It is also a large park as you can see below. My photography skills do not begin to capture the beauty of this place.

Dad & Stixx were so overwhelmed by the scenery, they needed a power snack.

This image is Delicate Arch. You can see all of the people in the image lining the ledge looking down on the arch. We took the shorter route to the viewing area below the arch as we did not want to hike in our gear. People gather during sunset to capture pictures of the sun when it is centered in the arch.

This is balancing rock...

Next up Canyonlands National Park......
Old 06-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
Rharrod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Old 06-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
EKIN OP
Just Do It

Sunday, June 1st - Continued

We finished exploring Arches National Park, headed to the hotel just after lunch, dropped the side bags lightening up the bikes, and headed to Canyonlands National Park for the afternoon. I was so excited to see the road sign for Shafer Trail on our way into the park. We were eager to get off road, but it’s also a little nerve racking knowing if you drop your bike any small problem could cost you a day or two of vacation or added stress on the 2,000 mile ride home.

Once inside the park we caught our first views of Shafer Trial from above.

Jeff was a little nervous about the drop into the canyon.

I knew this trail was one we wanted to explore. I read so much about MOAB on different forums, but had no idea how beautiful and captivating this place is when you see it for the first time. Shafer Trail has it all for a first timer to the area. Before we tackled the trail our entire group visited some of the views in the rest of the park.

Absolutely amazing views...

Once we visited the main areas of the park Dad & Stixx headed back to the hotel. Pee Pee, Jeff, and I worked our way into the canyon via Shafer Trail.

It is hard to describe how different the elevation change feels as you drop into the canyon. The view upward was so different than standing on the top of the rim.

Once we reached the canyon bottom we noticed a sign for MOAB (32 miles), no hesitation we were heading off road back to town. This road was not technical other than a few soft places, but the scenery again was awesome.

Off we go.....

Now the rock formations are towering above us....

As we continued to cover a few miles we found the Colorado River again.

As we closed back in on MOAB finding pavement we road along this rock wall where many people were showing how brave they were. It was a great way to end the evening as we arrived back into town.

The red sand of MOAB fit the GS well.

I would love to show you all of the party pics from the evening, but they were not happening in our group. After the miles traveled, heat, excitement, and getting some laundry finished we were all out for the night sound asleep.

Tomorrow we head for Durango & the Million $ Highway.....
Old 06-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Great pic’s and report! Wish I was traveling with you, you know how to do it. Looking for more! Enjoy!
Old 06-13-2014, 03:01 AM   #12
ttr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Great! Go on!

Old 06-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #13
a_advmoto66
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Ut 128

128 from Cisco to Moab has got to be one of the most fun and scenic rides that follow the River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKIN View Post
Sunday, June 1st - MOAB Arches National Park

We grabbed some rest Saturday evening and woke up early with the time difference. The bikes were cranked around 6:45am and we were headed to what felt like another planet.

Heading out of Colorado & hello Utah...

After a short ride on I70 west we jumped on 128 which ran adjacent to the Colorado River. The river in conjunction with the red canyon walls made for some nice smiles as we headed into MOAB.

We arrived at Arches National Park which is truly one of the most majestic places you can visit. It is also a large park as you can see below. My photography skills do not begin to capture the beauty of this place.

Dad & Stixx were so overwhelmed by the scenery, they needed a power snack.

This image is Delicate Arch. You can see all of the people in the image lining the ledge looking down on the arch. We took the shorter route to the viewing area below the arch as we did not want to hike in our gear. People gather during sunset to capture pictures of the sun when it is centered in the arch.

This is balancing rock...

Next up Canyonlands National Park......
a_advmoto66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #14
Boricua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKIN View Post
Saturday, May 31st - Denver, CO - Grand Junction, CO

We arrived in Denver and woke up to our first views of the Rockies. The hotel allowed us to park our bikes at the front door for the night, very nice.

You can see my first glimpse of the snowcapped Rockies just over the parked cars in our hotel lot.

Today we would break up our group as Jeff’s GS had a slightly bent rim which would be repaired at Woody’s Wheel Works in Denver. Not easy to find a location to true a GS rim. They were expecting Jeff & he would join us in Grand Junction later in the evening.

Stixx, Pee Pee, and I would take I70 to Grand Junction along with a few stops on the way. My Dad had his RT reserved (rented) in Grand Junction. He flew instead of riding the long slab with the rest of the group as he lives in Orlando, FL.

On our ride out we headed to higher ground reaching US6 at Loveland Pass. We stopped at Loveland Basin where temps were around 60 degrees to layer up. We would head over the pass which is one of the highest in Colorado topping 11,990 feet. The ride up took about 15 minutes with temps dropping over 20 degrees to the upper 30’s.

The views were spectacular..

This was one of my favorite pics, three of us at top of Loveland Pass.

Many of the highest elevations received over 300 inches of snow this winter in the Rockies. Check out the wall of snow behind Pee Pee’s bike which was well over 20 feet. Remember this is June.

After we completed Loveland Pass we headed for Grand Junction rejoining I70. This must be one of the most spectacular pieces of super slab in the country. I was keeping up with Pee Pee & Stixx as we negotiated the high speed sweepers through the canyons. I regret not taking more pictures, but I was enjoying the ride to much to stop. They do call this vacation you know.....
Here is a link to all of the key points of interest along I70. Let me tell you it is not to be missed if you head to Colorado.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_70_in_Colorado
FYI Loveland ski area topped 500" this year. A-basin ski area on the west side of the pass is still open. This was an awesome ski season. I was on the oposite side of canyonlands in the canyon rims area a few days before you got there. That area is amazing.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Boricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:15 AM   #15
EKIN OP
Just Do It

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_advmoto66 View Post
128 from Cisco to Moab has got to be one of the most fun and scenic rides that follow the River.
What a great way to arrive in Moab, especially never had previously visiting the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
FYI Loveland ski area topped 500" this year. A-basin ski area on the west side of the pass is still open. This was an awesome ski season. I was on the oposite side of canyonlands in the canyon rims area a few days before you got there. That area is amazing.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
We saw the skiers hitting the slopes when we were at the top. It was so clear and crisp in that area. I had no idea 500 inches fell this year. That does not seem possible to me after living in the southeast all of the these years.