Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by therivermonster;19377994[B
DockingPilot:[/B] . Do you plan on writing a RR?
Yes.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
hey rivermonster!
Sorry I'm late - I didn't know you were doing your own RR, too.

That pic I posted in Erik's thread wasn't the best. I found another one, but still not a great one.
Aw, I should have made you guys pose nicely so I could get a good photo

You did a fantastic job with your report - I think we all feel the love you have for the WABDR
It's sad being home, isn't it?

I hope I didn't get you in trouble with Mike
(I was just kidding around! I forgot - what happens on the trail, stays on the trail...)
It's great that you 3 were reunited for the last bit of the ride, Matt and I were happy to hear it.

Too bad you missed the jungle! It's really not a big deal, though.
We got it on video, but it will take a while to get to that part of my RR.
At any rate, now you have an excuse to go back...

kelly
Hey, Kelly! It's good to hear that you and Matt arrived home safely.

You mentioned not having gotten a great pic of Erik and I. You know, one thing that really sunk into me on this trip (and not really till we got home unfortunantly) is that the pictures are so important. I plan on putting a lot more work into my pics in the future, and slowing down and taking the time to make sure that I get the best shots I can. Also, I should have collected more info from you guys, as well as the rest of the riders that we met on the trail if not just to shoot a message saying that the RR is up, but to check in from time to time just to make sure everybody is safe. It really is great meeting people like yourselves on the trail.

As for Mike, don't worry about that guy. We talk about him behind his back all the time, like how he wishes his KLR was a Harley.
Mike's a pretty great guy.

Thank you for your kind words about the report. One thing that I was hoping to do was describe to other potential riders of the WABDR what it is like. I honestly don't feel like I did the best job in that department, but I think that it captures the essence of the trip nonetheless. However, like you said, it is a bit sad when the adventure ends.

No worries about the jungle. I hope to get back to that section soon and hit the jungle on our way back down to the lake. I really want to see how big of boulders Mike can pull in a 3 man heads up compitition this time.

By the way, I was meaning to ask you guys how you like your SPOT emergency unit. Have you guys ever had to use it?

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber
therivermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #18
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
wohooo. only on page 1 and already lots of pics.

been waiting for this, wabdr is on my calendar, not this year though.

subscribed!
Page one and all the pics - the RR is over,man. I glad you liked it.

NSFW, when do you plan to make the ride?

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber
Old 08-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #19
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,702
Great report!
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #20
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by therivermonster View Post
....motoged:Was that your black GS1200 parked in the parking lot of the customs house? If so, thanks for the chat and the pics. If not, why the hell didn't you come out and talk to us? Edit: I just realized looking at the pic that you included with your reply that the building that I formerly called the school house is your customs office. I retract my school house lable and I must say, that is a very nice customs office. Quite possibly the nicest on the 49th to be honest.
I love that area, and am jellous that you get to claim it as your backyard. Have fun playing up by Conconully, and watch out for that guy with the kitten. If you find out what happened with that kitten let me know.
Nope, that wasn't me.....my GS is an 1100 but it is black....the only colour a motorcycle should be

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #21
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Good report , and thanks for reminding me about discovery route . After it cools off a little , i may try a few legs of it on day rides from my location . I ride a WeeStrom and am an older guy . How many sections do you think are pushing it for 500 lb bike and no knobbys ? I just wouldn't be having fun in that kind of heat . Any nice lower leg bruising after all those falls without lower body armor ? Finally got some full mesh last summer , love it . I will be keeping an eye out for your future reports , thanks again .
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
adventurerik
Never stop exploring

Oddometer: 24
Great report and pics Blane . I look forward to some more dirt adventures in the near future......
adventurerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #23
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
I should have collected more info from you guys, as well as the rest of the riders that we met on the trail if not just to shoot a message saying that the RR is up, but to check in from time to time just to make sure everybody is safe. It really is great meeting people like yourselves on the trail.
We rarely see other riders on the trail, but there were tons of people on the WABDR! I was really surprised.
Yeah, it's hard to remember to exchange info. Just getting ADV screen names is tough!
We once met a guy at a campground who carried rider cards (like a business card, but with a pic of him and his bike and his contact info) and I thought that was a great idea.

Feel free to PM us any time!
Quote:
I was meaning to ask you guys how you like your SPOT emergency unit. Have you guys ever had to use it?
Well, originally Matt got a SPOT so I could see where he was when he was riding solo.
Now that we do so much 2up, we use it so family and friends can keep track of us (I rarely call or email on the road).

We've never had to use it in an emergency, and frankly, I don't have much faith that that it would work.
I mean, maybe someone would check on us eventually, which is nice. But I wouldn't expect an immediate rescue or anything.
It is something, though. Especially if you ride alone.
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #24
zoomzu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Nice report !! We;ll be there 9/1 running north to south.
ps, Mike still lookin like he's rather be somewhere else
L

I ate soooooo much I was inundated.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #25
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
From our experience, camping in Wenatchee is not all that great. First we headed up the road to the country camp, but were turned away because they don't take tenters. The gentleman at this camp recommended the fair grounds in Cashmere so we headed up there. The fair grounds camping area was like a gravel parking lot fenced in with chain link fence. It was depressing. It was getting late so we decided to head back to the state park in Wenatchee. At first sight it looked to be OK. Nice green grass and not too busy, but then the mosquitos made their assault. There were mosquitos everywhere -thick as soup, but we were tired and decided to stay.

We set up camp - I set up my tent for the first and last time of the trip only because of the bugs, and we proceeded to the bathrooms to rinse our clothes out and take cold (free) showers. It felt great. It was very warm that night, so no sleeping bag was needed.

Look at all that green grass and they make you set your tent up on a patch of wet sand. :-/

Camping at Skeeter City marks the end of day 2.[/QUOTE]

Wow, lots of nice high country to camp. I would suggest that. Even say, up on Chumstick Mountain- there is a spring on the road a few switchbacks from the top of Chumstick.

I live in Leavenworth, would never recommend camping low when there is so much nice stuff up high! This has occurred to me before when previously I read about camping in the valleys, commercial $$ camps etc. The good stuff is up high, and free!

But I am really enjoying your TR and will start my own WABDR soon.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 06:38 PM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #26
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
From our experience, camping in Wenatchee is not all that great. First we headed up the road to the country camp, but were turned away because they don't take tenters. The gentleman at this camp recommended the fair grounds in Cashmere so we headed up there. The fair grounds camping area was like a gravel parking lot fenced in with chain link fence. It was depressing. It was getting late so we decided to head back to the state park in Wenatchee. At first sight it looked to be OK. Nice green grass and not too busy, but then the mosquitos made their assault. There were mosquitos everywhere -thick as soup, but we were tired and decided to stay.

We set up camp - I set up my tent for the first and last time of the trip only because of the bugs, and we proceeded to the bathrooms to rinse our clothes out and take cold (free) showers. It felt great. It was very warm that night, so no sleeping bag was needed.

Look at all that green grass and they make you set your tent up on a patch of wet sand. :-/

Camping at Skeeter City marks the end of day 2.

Wow, lots of nice high country to camp. I would suggest that. Even say, up on Chumstick Mountain- there is a spring on the road a few switchbacks from the top of Chumstick.

I live in Leavenworth, would never recommend camping low when there is so much nice stuff up high! This has occurred to me before when previously I read about camping in the valleys, commercial $$ camps etc. The good stuff is up high, and free!

But I am really enjoying your TR and will start my own WABDR soon.[/QUOTE]

That's one thing that we never did was camp on the trail up higher. I think that this was probably generally getting into town late leaving just enough time for dinner, gas, and finding a close camp.

Maybe we'll try to plan a bit different next time so that we can grab food a bit sooner, and then head out on the next leg for a few miles to find camp.

Like you said, FREE!!

ADVNCW, I look forward to reading your RR.

My Virgin ADV Trip
Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #27
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp-Z View Post
Good report , and thanks for reminding me about discovery route . After it cools off a little , i may try a few legs of it on day rides from my location . I ride a WeeStrom and am an older guy . How many sections do you think are pushing it for 500 lb bike and no knobbys ? I just wouldn't be having fun in that kind of heat . Any nice lower leg bruising after all those falls without lower body armor ? Finally got some full mesh last summer , love it . I will be keeping an eye out for your future reports , thanks again .
Hey Gramp-Z!

Get out there and ride some of that dirt, man! I think that your Wee should be easy on everything and even doable on section 2 if you're motivated. If you want a riding buddy, let me know.

Surprisingly the only leg injury happened when Erik dumped it in the rut up on ridge in section 2 but it wasn't a big deal. I suppose the lesson to learn here about wearing proper riding gear came when Erik did a good burn job on his leg while wearing shorts. No worries otherwise.

My Virgin ADV Trip
Old 08-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #28
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,457
Thanks for the pics and report, glad you finished as a group!
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #29
Stromius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Great RR!

Past: 1969 Yamaha CT1, CL125, KLR 650 Barbie
Present:
Stromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #30
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
I think I read the ride report the two Canadians on the F800s did for this trip. I remember seeing pictures of the orange boxes. I think they mounted their GoPro on the handle of them.

Nice ride report and pictures!
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote