Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #451
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
If you doubt me, tell you what, put a big sheet of cardboard over the radiator and go for a drive
No way, it would block the water flow.

OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #452
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
If you doubt me, tell you what, put a big sheet of cardboard over the radiator and go for a drive
Exactly why you see radiator shields on a lot of diesels (pick ups), to restrict the air flow. Allows for the engine to heat more quickly and maintain heat.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #453
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,919
Quote:
Well last I knew oil was a liquid. The early GSXR's were considered liquid cooled, and did so with oil and a large oil cooler, and a huge oil pump. The new Watercooled BMW boxer, mainly cools the head, and relies on air cooling for the cylinders. The oil heads used the same principle, cool the heads with oil, and the Cyl with air.

And technically ALL are air cooled, the water or oil only transfer the heat to a radiator, which an oil cooler is, and air is required to remove that heat. The water does not actually do any cooling, just provides transportation of heat.
Who are trying to impress? If you pulled your head out of your ass you'd realize just what I meant.

My XR has oil in it but is listed as an air cooled bike, as are hundreds of other bikes. Tell ya what, you should go bitch to all the vehicle manufactures in the world that sell vehicles with radiators and set them straight. Then maybe I'll start using that description.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #454
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Ugh...dealers. I've only been riding for a year and have decided I don't like dealers. I tend to do my research (extensively) before I purchase because I like to know what I'm spending my hard earned money on.

so lets see in the last year
massive motorcycle mega mall in so cal:
1) swore that the stock tire for the Magna was great and long lasting (about 6,000 miles). I ended up getting some tires that would do at least 12,000.
2) When looking for gear for my girlfriend they pointed us to their women's section, about 2 or 3 racks (in a mega mall that prided themselves on being big ). Went to a different store that carried a lot more choices for women's gear

Dealer & motorsports store down the street from my house:
1) Told me the cheap winter gloves w/o armor would protect my hands as much and work far better than a pair of winter gloves with armor because armor adds seams that water can get thru. Went else where and got gloves with armor and water has never got in.
2) When my girl and I went to sit on bikes to see what I should get next I asked for an FZ6 (I knew they had it) The sales man pulled out a fully faired sportbike and in my mind Im thinking "what the heck is that?" (I didn't know about the new r model and I don't like fully dressed bikes, even my FZ6 is bordering on too much) I ended up pointing out the correct bike to the sales man who said he didn't even know they had it. Turns out the FZ6R and the older FZ6 is quite different.
3) Went to get a chain. Asked for a 118 link 530 (didn't know I had to buy a 120, a 1st time noob). The sales man goes to get it and when he comes back I confirm that it's a 118 which he replies yes. I get home and cant figure out why the heck its so loose. When I call the shop back I find out that they dont sell chains with 118 links, they come in 120 links. With a bit more digging since they aren't in the mood of giving info I find out they will cut the chain down to size for free. They couldn't have told me this while I was there asking if it was the right length???

End of story: Every time I need parts, to try on gear (or buy it) or tires put on I go to Chaparral. Each time I need something I check the stores closer and end up out there anyways so I just skip the other stores. They have always had parts even once when the yamaha dealer didn't even have the part I needed. They don't care if I work on my bike right there and they are helpful (tho my 1st experience with their customer service sucked, I was completely ignored)

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #455
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Well last I knew oil was a liquid. The early GSXR's were considered liquid cooled, and did so with oil and a large oil cooler, and a huge oil pump. The new Watercooled BMW boxer, mainly cools the head, and relies on air cooling for the cylinders. The oil heads used the same principle, cool the heads with oil, and the Cyl with air.

And technically ALL are air cooled, the water or oil only transfer the heat to a radiator, which an oil cooler is, and air is required to remove that heat. The water does not actually do any cooling, just provides transportation of heat.
Dumbest post of 2013 so far.
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #456
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
For sure.
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #457
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
^^^ + 99K ^^^ Like we really needed a lecture on the physics of heat transfer.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #458
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
NO it is NOT a "gimmick" or a trick... Nor is it "taught" (at least not with me)

I am a rider of motorcycles. I am a seller of new bikes in only two brands BUT I like them ALL. Some more than others to be sure but my interest is genuine... As is the others I work with.

The majority of my income is from the sale of feet forward bikes but I personally do not even own feet forward bikes any longer and only ride them for work.

I have a large and diverse customer base and I can generally find a new home for just about any bike, be it an Ninja 250 or a ZX14... A GSXR 600 to a Gold Wing.

Today I am taking in a Ducati Hypermotard 1100s against a Harley-Davidson because the Wife wants a better Queens Throne. It's all good.

RIDE RIDE RIDE
That is my philosphy also. Like em all and will enjoy riding absolutley anything. I do notice a change in attitude when at HD dealers on something besides their product. I was in complete disagreement with how HD handled Buell so after they parted ways I got rid of the HD and bought another Buell. I now try to stop at every HD dealer I can on it........just because.

Stocks HD in Manitowac WI sells New HD and Victory. Interesting choice. Can also get new Hurqvarna there as well. At least you could recently.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #459
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace1 View Post
Ugh...dealers. I've only been riding for a year and have decided I don't like dealers. I tend to do my research (extensively) before I purchase because I like to know what I'm spending my hard earned money on.

so lets see in the last year
massive motorcycle mega mall in so cal:
1) swore that the stock tire for the Magna was great and long lasting (about 6,000 miles). I ended up getting some tires that would do at least 12,000.
2) When looking for gear for my girlfriend they pointed us to their women's section, about 2 or 3 racks (in a mega mall that prided themselves on being big ). Went to a different store that carried a lot more choices for women's gear

Dealer & motorsports store down the street from my house:
1) Told me the cheap winter gloves w/o armor would protect my hands as much and work far better than a pair of winter gloves with armor because armor adds seams that water can get thru. Went else where and got gloves with armor and water has never got in.
2) When my girl and I went to sit on bikes to see what I should get next I asked for an FZ6 (I knew they had it) The sales man pulled out a fully faired sportbike and in my mind Im thinking "what the heck is that?" (I didn't know about the new r model and I don't like fully dressed bikes, even my FZ6 is bordering on too much) I ended up pointing out the correct bike to the sales man who said he didn't even know they had it. Turns out the FZ6R and the older FZ6 is quite different.
3) Went to get a chain. Asked for a 118 link 530 (didn't know I had to buy a 120, a 1st time noob). The sales man goes to get it and when he comes back I confirm that it's a 118 which he replies yes. I get home and cant figure out why the heck its so loose. When I call the shop back I find out that they dont sell chains with 118 links, they come in 120 links. With a bit more digging since they aren't in the mood of giving info I find out they will cut the chain down to size for free. They couldn't have told me this while I was there asking if it was the right length???

End of story: Every time I need parts, to try on gear (or buy it) or tires put on I go to Chaparral. Each time I need something I check the stores closer and end up out there anyways so I just skip the other stores. They have always had parts even once when the yamaha dealer didn't even have the part I needed. They don't care if I work on my bike right there and they are helpful (tho my 1st experience with their customer service sucked, I was completely ignored)
need less sand in the nether regions

1a- 6,000 miles is a long time for some people. 2x as long as knobby tires on a strom, 3+ years for how most ride.

2a- depending on which source you quote, women make up 10-30 % of motorcyclists. Considering that not all will wear gear, less than 10-30% of the store is reasonable. Glad you found a place with better selection. Here the biggest dealer around might have a rack for dirt and a rack for street. Although it has gotten better than it was a few years ago. Bigger is not necessarily better.

1b- no excuse for this one. I know it can be difficult to find winter gloves with armor due to the bulk. I chalk it up to poor training on gear.

2b- Unless you specifically ask for the used blue fz6 that you saw on cycle trader, don't get upset when they show you the replacement model. Yes they are different, not his fault

3b- also likely a training issue, I would think that most people who are replacing their own chain would also have a chain breaker. I know its wrong to assume, but I bet thats what happened.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #460
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Who are trying to impress? If you pulled your head out of your ass you'd realize just what I meant.

My XR has oil in it but is listed as an air cooled bike, as are hundreds of other bikes. Tell ya what, you should go bitch to all the vehicle manufactures in the world that sell vehicles with radiators and set them straight. Then maybe I'll start using that description.

Somebody poop in your Cheerios this morning??

Just adding to the useless blather, with a little food for thought.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #461
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,919
Quote:
Somebody poop in your Cheerios this morning??

Just adding to the useless blather, with a little food for thought.
Yeah, you did with your inane post!
I'll give it to you though, you did add some useless blather! Was that something a dealer told you?

Unless you use one of these...

or most inmates assume you are/were serious. I'll guarantee if those other inmates hadn't called your post out for what it is your post I am quoting would have been defensive of your stupid post.

Watch out for the brown trout in your cheerios...and that ain't orange juice in your cup!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #462
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post
need less sand in the nether regions

1a- 6,000 miles is a long time for some people. 2x as long as knobby tires on a strom, 3+ years for how most ride.

2a- depending on which source you quote, women make up 10-30 % of motorcyclists. Considering that not all will wear gear, less than 10-30% of the store is reasonable. Glad you found a place with better selection. Here the biggest dealer around might have a rack for dirt and a rack for street. Although it has gotten better than it was a few years ago. Bigger is not necessarily better.

1b- no excuse for this one. I know it can be difficult to find winter gloves with armor due to the bulk. I chalk it up to poor training on gear.

2b- Unless you specifically ask for the used blue fz6 that you saw on cycle trader, don't get upset when they show you the replacement model. Yes they are different, not his fault

3b- also likely a training issue, I would think that most people who are replacing their own chain would also have a chain breaker. I know its wrong to assume, but I bet thats what happened.
ok I understnd 2a and 2b was probably a little my fault and I didn't get upset with that one, but for 1a I had specifically told the guy I commute (and the distance) and need tires that will last long and he told me, "oh yeah these will be great."

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #463
Reduxalicious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I was at the local Harley Shop with my dad, He was buying something from mechanic department.. Anyway, I do slow stroll through the showroom floor, stop to look at a V-Rod, suddenly SALESGUYOUTOFNOWHERE!

Him: Nice bike isn't it?
Me: Yea, Heard it's pretty quick.
Him: It's more then quick, It's probably one of the fastest street legal motorcycles to date.
Me: ..Oh?
Him: Next to the Hayabusa of course.

I kind of just humored him then pretended my Dad was ready to go.
Reduxalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #464
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
I walked in to Leo's south in Minnesota looking to pick up some No Toil filter rim grease. I had purchased No Toil oil and filter cleaner there before so I figured they had it. Found the oil and cleaner, but no filter grease. Normally Leo's is pretty good.

Salesman: Whatcha' lookin for?
Me: Filter Grease.
Salesman: There's no such thing, you need K&N filter oil.
Me: Sorry I meant that I need the No Toil filter rim grease. You know to make sure you get a good seal to the box.
Salesman: What Kind of Bike?
Me: Uhhhh, not sure why that matters but it's a KTM.
Salesman: Of course it matters, what model?
Me: (actually chuckling out loud at the stupidity) Really? it's an SMT.
Salesman: Yeah they don't make it. Just use any good waterproof grease.
Me: That kind of negates using No Toil then doesn't it?
Salesman: Blah Blah blah about grease properties as I walked out the door.

Drive over to Motoprimo right down the street and pick up a tube. Go back to Leo's to show the salesman.

Me: This is what I was trying to get.
Salesman: that must be a new product. Real grease would work better.
Salesman #2: That's not new, we carry that, but I think we're out. Besides the No Toil cleaner wouldn't work on regular grease and negates using a bio friendly product.
Salesman #1: I've heard that the K&N stuff is better.

Both me and salesman#2 roll our eyes and walk off.
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #465
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,996
I was out of filter rim seal grease one time. Figgered F-it and used Bel-Ray waterproof green I had sitting on the bench. BIG mistake! The petroleum base dissolved my foam air filter. Luckily, I caught it rather quickly. Just thought I would share the knowledge. Don't try that at home!
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote