Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #586
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Nice story, sorry to hear you paid five hundred quid for a nine year old Honda
500 was fair value from a small motorcycle shop/dealer at the time. I got them shop to put a new rear tyre on it, and do a couple of other things, so it was ready to use without any further work...... so a good dealer story there.

Bought privately it might have been 350 - 400, and could well have needed a bit of work done on it.

The guy who owned it before me, from new, turned up at the pub where I used to live for part of the year. He had kept up the routine maintenance, but had not bothered with the cosmetics, much the same as me with bikes I have owned. He replaced it with a CB500.

I had the CB250RS for about five years. In addition to a couple of trips to Europe I covered much of Great Britain and Ireland on it. A few months after my last trip to Europe, it was stolen. I got a 300 payout from the insurance company.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #587
gatorgrizz27
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus83 View Post
Been reading/following this thread and I think there is some interesting info here. However, I do have to say I completely disagree with the above logic (as a consumer) and I find it to be a total bs. No wonder most people hate "stealerships."

Ducati techs charge $45/hr for labor. Fine. If the work required takes 2hrs to complete, then I would expect to pay $90 (+ tax). Fine. However, you CANNOT expect me to pay you $90 if it took you 1:15! If you, as the owner, do think that this is fair, I would LOVE to work for you and would fully expect you to pay me for the full 8hr day, even though, I only have worked 6hrs (I mean, I got my shit done on time and bs'ed with the reception ladies up front).
As has been pointed out, the times are the averages and typically very accurate, requiring the tech to work pretty efficiently to get the job done in time. It also serves to simplify things for the counter guys, techs, and customers. When someone calls and asks how much for a rear tire change, it could vary from 2-3 times between a rear dirt bike tire and a rear tire on a shaft drive cruiser that has to have the saddle bags and exhaust removed.

Secondly, wouldn't you rather have a guy that is experienced with your model of bike work on it, and has done the same repair several times before, than the guy who just got out of school and might have never touched your unique bike before? It will take the experienced guy 1.5 hours or the newb 3 hours, do you really want to pay by the actual time?

Finally, there are a lot of other tasks that techs have to do that are not paid for. Opening up the shop in the morning, moving bikes out so you have room to work, loading bikes onto the lift, putting tools away, wiping bikes down, test riding them, etc all eat up time where they are not making a dime.

Most good shops want to keep their customers happy for the long term rather than making a few more dollars here and now. Because of this, they will typically adjust book times if they are typically too high, or throw in small additional jobs for free, such as bleeding your rear brake if you come in for fork seals and an oil change.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #588
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post

Most good shops want to keep their customers happy for the long term rather than making a few more dollars here and now. Because of this, they will typically adjust book times if they are typically too high, or throw in small additional jobs for free, such as bleeding your rear brake if you come in for fork seals and an oil change.
Most good shops & successful dealerships, this.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #589
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post
Most good shops & successful dealerships, this.
The place I always get my tires changed adjust the chain, clean and lube it, inspect brake pads and just the smaller maintenance stuff. I like it... granted they did adjust the chain too much the last time, so much so that with sitting on the bike it had probably 1/4" of slack but when I showed them that they confessed they let the new tech adjust the chain and forgot to double check it.

They fixed it right away though which was nice, minus the ~30 minute wait time on top of the hour I was already there when they knew I needed to head out as soon as possible.
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #590
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW View Post
Here is the secret to wholesale tires. The more you buy, the cheaper they get. It does not matter brand or style. For the big shops/mega malls/online stores who buy tires by the semi-load, the discount they get is huge. So much so, that their retail price is less then the wholesale price a small shop would pay.

So it's not that the small shop is overpriced on tires, they just can't get them for the same wholesale price as the big guys.

The same goes for OEM and aftermarket parts, but not to the same extreme.
The trouble with that argument though is when you walk in and ask about a part (tire in this case..), they don't have it in stock but offer to order it for you at a much higher cost than you can order it yourself. If their vendors are raping them that bad why don't they switch vendors?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #591
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR View Post
...snipped.... If their vendors are raping them that bad why don't they switch vendors?
IIRC, Parts Unlimited has the moto market mostly locked down in the US. It's no so much the vendor as the wholesaler.

Maybe someone in the industry can chime in?

Things I've ate/cooked.
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #592
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 371
Or order from the same place you would plus a 10% handling/convenience fee
Old 04-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #593
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Parts Unlimited, Tucker Rocky, and Western Power Sports are the big three.
They are mostly distributors, but some have house brands.

If you want a Perelli tire, you can't order it direct from Perelli. You have to go through a distributor. Perelli does not do retail or wholesale. They only sell in bulk, to distributors.

The same exact thing happens in food service. Meatloaf inc makes a meatloaf, sells it to a distribution company like Cysco, who then sells it to OutBack StakeHouse. The average sit down restaurant has about 400 items in inventory. Even if you had to order from only 20 venders, it would be a daily nightmare without a distribution company handling it.

A 10% markup on the tire would not cover the cost associated with ordering the tire, shipping, inventorying it, and storing it on the shelf. It's loosing money on every tire. A 30% markup is about the minimum needed to cover cost. Some brand tires and items have more of a profit in them then others.

Same goes for food service, only its worse. The drinks are about the only items with a healthy profit in them. Kids meals are often sold at or less then cost in the hope that the parents are ordering something too.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #594
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR View Post
The trouble with that argument though is when you walk in and ask about a part (tire in this case..), they don't have it in stock but offer to order it for you at a much higher cost than you can order it yourself. If their vendors are raping them that bad why don't they switch vendors?
Give up! I've tried this line of reasoning before - Apparently dealers are unable to buy things from the lowest priced source but have to pay through the nose and simply pass the extra cost on to the customer - At least that's my summary of the convoluted explanation given to me.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #595
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Give up! I've tried this line of reasoning before - Apparently dealers are unable to buy things from the lowest priced source but have to pay through the nose and simply pass the extra cost on to the customer - At least that's my summary of the convoluted explanation given to me.
I've had dealers beat internet prices before.
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #596
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,066
Quote:
Parts Unlimited, Tucker Rocky, and Western Power Sports are the big three.
They are mostly distributors, but some have house brands.

A 10% markup on the tire would not cover the cost associated with ordering the tire, shipping, inventorying it, and storing it on the shelf. It's loosing money on every tire. A 30% markup is about the minimum needed to cover cost. Some brand tires and items have more of a profit in them then others.
Wouldn't this be a great reason to mount and balance customer-supplied tires? Seems like win-win.
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #597
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
I've had dealers beat internet prices before.
So have I - but I've also had self-proclaimed dealers or ex-dealers on this forum tell me I didn't know what I was talking about when I suggested that a dealer can buy the same tires as me from the same place (if necessary) for the same price or less.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #598
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
So have I - but I've also had self-proclaimed dealers or ex-dealers on this forum tell me I didn't know what I was talking about when I suggested that a dealer can buy the same tires as me from the same place (if necessary) for the same price or less.
Many places will match online prices, if they can.

You didn't read my post. A dealer makes no profit, in fact looses money, paying retail prices buying tires from Bike Bandit, then reselling them to you at near the same price.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:40 AM   #599
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Many places will match online prices, if they can.

You didn't read my post. A dealer makes no profit, in fact looses money, paying retail prices buying tires from Bike Bandit, then reselling them to you at near the same price.
No, you didn't read my post! People on here have explained the higher price from dealers as being because the dealers basic cost to buy tires is higher - and I, along with many others, have called bullshit on this.

I understand why tires the dealer has held in stock would be quite a bit higher because of the handling, storage and tied up capital they represent, which translates to convenience for me. I also fully understand why, as a customer, I might have to pay a little more for tires I special order from the dealer - but that small ammount of handling and the time on the phone to place the order does not translate to an extra $100 (sometimes more) per tire. Besides, if the dealer is pricing their labour properly, they are also making a profit from fitting tires. If they can't figure out how to make money there either then I guess they are doomed.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:39 AM   #600
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,525
Some dealers are proud. They won't mount someone else's tires. They also think if you got such a good deal online instead of coming to their store, you can piss off and try to find a good online deal mounting the tires. They think next time you won't try to find such a great online price since it's a bitch to find someone to mount them that you'll come to their store and buy tires.

Seems to me there is a huge market for dealers that treat customers well. In this thread it seems customers are saying they'll do repeat business with dealers that go the extra mile and then dealers saying they get burned so often they won't go the extra mile anymore. My opinion is if a dealer doesn't differentiate themselves somehow the customer is going to start buying online (more) and just going to the nearest dealer when they need something. If the dealer isn't willing to put up with a little extra from time to time, there is no reason to go to their dealership than the next guy's. Every time I read a post from a dealer that says they won't do something I have to wonder what they will do that the next dealer won't. You don't get business by providing the same or less than the next guy. You get it by providing something people want that the next guy won't provide.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote