Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #691
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
"We've got a problem in our area with grocery store gas."
I didn't know that grocery stores had their own refineries. NOT.
Gasoline deteriorates with age. It's cheaper the older it gets. If you're going to sell it cheap, you buy it cheap.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #692
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
My favorite hole-in-the-wall motorcycle repair shop ( packed, filthy ) has a corkboard in the office with bounced checks prominently displayed. Some of them are for very small amounts ( 50 bucks ) - I mean, here is THE GUY keeping these old bikes on the road and STILL people screw him around. I guess that is one of the risks dong business in a college area, but man - you DON'T want to be on Alvin's wall with all the riders that go through that place !
Seems he's a pretty nice guy. I have a friend in the business who takes his large bounced checks and gets bench warrants issued for check fraud. Guess what happens when the deadbeat gets pulled over by a cop.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #693
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW View Post
I had a good one in the shop last week. A lady brings in two waverunners in for service. Both ran when parked, but the batteries has been removed for storage and she didn't put the batteries back in.

So we open up one of the skis and find a battery inside and it test good. When we try to start the ski, nothing happens. Dead as a door nail.
So we put the service on hold and give her a call. We can do the service work, or she can pay for a diagnostic to figure out why it won't start. Or we can do nothing and she won't pay anything for that ski.

She goes on a rampage on how there is nothing wrong with that ski and we installed that battery and are trying to swindle her out of money for a diagnostic. Names are called, words are spoken, but I won't go into that.
I guess she just figured we give away batteries now. Of the WalMart brand we don't even sell.

Out of dumb luck, one of the techs jams the start button very hard, to the point of almost breaking it, and it starts and runs fine.

So a call as made back to the crazy lady and she admitted that the start button was hard to push, and that she may have left the battery in that one ski because she could not find it. No apology was made.
A friend of the family owns a fairly large honda dealer here in Cincy. He always said the biggest assholes are the wave runner owners. They will not use the thing for 5 years, wait until a week before they go on vacation to schedule a service appointment, and bitch up a storm when there is a month back log, or even if they get in the shop and there is way more wrong than they expected from letting it sit.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #694
BK
Electron herder

Oddometer: 475
I lost one of the keys to one of my bikes, so I ordered one from the dealer before I lost the other one. Four weeks later, I still hadn't heard anything, so I called. I got a lot of "uh's" and "I don't knows" and "it should be here in a week" when I asked when it would be in. I figure they forgot to order it.

I called again a week later: Nothing.

I got a call 2 weeks later:" It's in". Great, I go give them the $25 happy to have the key.

I get a call a week later. "We accidentally ordered your key twice, would you be interested buying it?"

Sure, I'll give you $10 bucks.

"Hang on a second". (I hear a calculator in action.)

"I can't do $10 on that."

I told them thanks, I'll pass.

The guy said something about having a spare and yada yada yada. He really wanted me to buy it. I paid $25 for the first one, which I thought was a little high, but I'M the one who lost it, so no harm no foul. There was no way I was going to buy 2 at that price though.

I don't think it ever occurred to the guy that getting $10 for something that that they couldn't return and was useful to literally no one else, was better than nothing. He preferred nothing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently, I went to a shop that sells, tires, consumables, riding gear and farkles to see if they had a jacket that would fit the Mrs. I asked the flat-biller (a damn near 100% reliable indicator that your dealing with a moron) if they had any inner-tube patch kits.

"uhh, hu, hu, we don't sell those dude, what-r-u riding. Hu, hu, tubes are only like 10 bucks.

I told him it's easier to patch a tube than to change one.

He looked at me like I was the idiot. "Dude, they're only 10 bucks! Hu, hu.

I said "When you're stuck somewhere and it's hot or cold or raining or whatever, it's faster to patch a tube to get you home than it is to change one."

Again, the moron look. I realized, that he probably hadn't done it before, so I tried to tell him you can leave the wheel on the bike, slip the tube out of the tire and and patch it. That way you don't have to find a way to prop up the bike, pull apart a bunch bits, change the tube, reassemble the mess, align the wheel etc. All while sitting in the mud getting eaten by mosquitoes.

I was stilling getting the idiotic Beavis and Butthead laugh etc. I finally figured out the problem. He didn't have the attention span to get through the sentence: You can patch a tube without removing a wheel.

I gave up and left. I never thought I would be the grouchy old dude, but here I am...
Old 07-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #695
NC-Okie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,831
OK other side of the fence:

I work the parts counter at a Honda/Suzuki Dealer and you will not believe the number of mentally challenged people that own motorcycles.

A couple of days ago a man comes in wanting a front tire for his Yamaha. Ok what size I ask? Blank look from him along with a I don’t know, Ok what Yamaha I ask? Blank look again from him again with another I don’t know. OK is the bike here I ask? No he says he needs a tire looking at me frustrated. I ask is it a cruiser or sport bike, he says big cruiser, OK we are getting somewhere. I ask if it’s the VStar 1100, 1300 or 1800 once again blank stare. Do you have a pic of the bike I ask? Eyes light up yes he does. Turns out his Big Cruiser is an V Star 650 custom with an 19” front wheel, cool I have several 100/90-19 fronts from $80.00 Kenda’s to Michelins from $130.00 but he is adamant he has a Big Bike not an 650 so I tell him he needs to either bring the bike up or registration so I can get him the right tire. The pic he had pictured and showed me was a 650 VStar Custom he is positive he didn’t buy no girls bike, his words not mine.

Same day I get a call from a man looking for a throttle cable for a 1984 Elite 150. My first thought is I won’t be able to get that from Honda but surprising it is still available and less than $18.00. I tell him I can get it but don’t have it in the store. He gets pissed and tells me I should have it stocked he shouldn’t have to order it. I ask again if he wants to order it he says no he will get it somewhere else. I have retired from the Air Force after 22 years but in 1984 I was still in High School, honestly I am not looking to spend my stock item budget on 29 year old scooters parts.

When I first started working the parts counter I was told the only thing cheap on a Gold Wing is the rider and Dam if that isn’t true 99.95% of the time.
NC-Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #696
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,917
Years ago, working at a Harley/Kawasaki dealer, we had a guy come in, slam a piston (in the box) on the counter, and launch into a pretty nice rant about how we were incompetent, we sold him the wrong part again, he wished there was another dealer so he'd never have to do business with us again, and so on. For several minutes.
When he finally ran down, one of us pointed out that the Yamaha dealer was a couple blocks thataway, and since he had a Yamaha part, perhaps he should go discuss it with them. He left without saying another word.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #697
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Customer called our independent shop the other day...

Customer: Do you have all the Honda parts?
Me: Not all of them, no, but what are you looking for?
Customer: I need the gas lid for a 1300.
Me: Which 1300?
Customer: HONDA!
Me: Which one do you have? Is it an ST1300, VTX1300, CBX1300?
Customer: It's the Honda!!!

After a few more questions and another bump up in her frustration level I determined it was the VTX1300. I look up the part, tell her the price, and tell her I can have it here in a couple of days.

Customer: You don't have it in stock?! How do you ever expect to sell anything when you don't have it in stock?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #698
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-Okie View Post
When I first started working the parts counter I was told the only thing cheap on a Gold Wing is the rider and Dam if that isn’t true 99.95% of the time.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #699
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-Okie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
Same can probably be said for BMW riders as well, haha.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #700
mneblett
Professional Lurker

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by (none) View Post
Same can probably be said for BMW riders as well, haha.
I first heard that said of BMW riders more than 30 years ago (yep, I ride BMWs).
mneblett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #701
bv11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
Customer called our independent shop the other day...

Customer: Do you have all the Honda parts?
Me: Not all of them, no, but what are you looking for?
Customer: I need the gas lid for a 1300.
Me: Which 1300?
Customer: HONDA!
Me: Which one do you have? Is it an ST1300, VTX1300, CBX1300?
Customer: It's the Honda!!!

After a few more questions and another bump up in her frustration level I determined it was the VTX1300. I look up the part, tell her the price, and tell her I can have it here in a couple of days.

Customer: You don't have it in stock?! How do you ever expect to sell anything when you don't have it in stock?

Everything after the first five seconds of that exchange is on you. You should have known she wanted cruiser parts as soon as she didn't know which bike she had.
bv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #702
tommysmothers
Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer: 195
At JT Motorsports in Frederick, MD, buying textile pants, jacket and ordering a helmet:

Me "Do you have a discount for taking the MSF course?"

Dealer "No. But since you had guts to ask, and also because you're a new rider and going to ride ATGATT, I'll give you 10% off."

Win.
tommysmothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #703
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommysmothers View Post
At JT Motorsports in Frederick, MD, buying textile pants, jacket and ordering a helmet:

Me "Do you have a discount for taking the MSF course?"

Dealer "No. But since you had guts to ask, and also because you're a new rider and going to ride ATGATT, I'll give you 10% off."

Win.
Nice.
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #704
Toolpen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevalDeFer View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently, I went to a shop that sells, tires, consumables, riding gear and farkles to see if they had a jacket that would fit the Mrs. I asked the flat-biller (a damn near 100% reliable indicator that your dealing with a moron) if they had any inner-tube patch kits.

I gave up and left. I never thought I would be the grouchy old dude, but here I am...
Toolpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #705
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevalDeFer View Post
I asked the flat-biller (a damn near 100% reliable indicator that your dealing with a moron) if they had any inner-tube patch kits.
I don't really care about fashion but so far I have also found that flat bill cap = moron 100% of the time.

It's too bad it doesn't go the other way. If all the morons wore flat bill hats, we could all avoid a lot of aggravation..

What's really odd is that I think the flat bill cap blocks neuron impulses or something. I ordered crapton of parts for an engine rebuild once from a Suzuki dealer, went in to pick them up, and everything went fine -- the friendly younger bareheaded guy at the counter took the time to go through the whole list to make sure I had everything, and all was well.

A few months later I ordered another large batch of parts for another project, and the same guy was working the counter. This time, he wore the Chapeau de Moron, and everything was different. Slow, bad attitude, and just shoved a bag of parts at me and walked away. I slowly went through the order right there at the counter and found a couple of odds and ends missing. Sorting that out took dealing with another 35 minutes of surly attitude, defiant stares, etc.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote