Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #706
BK
Electron herder

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
What's really odd is that I think the flat bill cap blocks neuron impulses or something.
You could be on to something. I once saw a pretty convincing write up that the shape of mini-van seats caused restricted blood-flow to the brain.

BK screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 10:57 AM
BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #707
Dimitrii
nubish

Oddometer: 12
Both sides in one story, quite a while ago:

New Job, new to Atlanta. Knew no-one. Get my first check on a Fri late. Sat, decide to open a local checking acct. Bank right on the way between work/home had banner for Sat banking, so I head there later than I thought. 5-6 cars in the lot. Go up to door and it is locked. Just closed at noon. Go back to the car and only get the solenoid click when I hit the starter. Jump the coil; beat on the starter with my 20” crescent, headlights bright. Get a friendly guy to try to start it when I beat on the starter, no joy. Jump from running car didn’t work either. I have swapped starters before but don’t really want to try in a bank parking lot with few tools.

Look up and see a Sear’s auto center across the street. Walk over. 1 guy standing at counter. Not on phone, no customer or any distraction.
“How much will it be to put a new starter in my ’81 Merc Zephyr? 3.3 straight 6. And about how long will it take?”
“Depends on how much the starter is, and if we have it in stock.”
Wait for him to start looking it up or *anything*
“Well, can you look it up?”
“Yes.” Give him an extra-long moment before he realizes that I was really asking him to actually look it up instead of checking if he was able to do so.
“No we don’t have it.”
30 Seconds of silence. “So how long will it take?”
“We would have to order from the warehouse in Memphis.”
Waited as long as I could. “So low long will it take?”
“Order will go out Monday; get the part in 2-3 days.”
Glad I could get out of the convo. before I had to interrogate a price out of him. Saw a chart for their labor on it, a bit spendy but would have paid it if they had the starter.

Remembered there are 2 gas stations at the main intersection 1/2 block away. Couldn’t remember if either was a Service station but worth a short hike to find out.
2 doors down I walk past another bank that closed at 1 while I was in Sear’s. Think to self, “About right for my day so far.”
First is a quick stop, but across the street I see 3 bays, all with activity.
Desk is hopping. As I wait a tech sticks his head in asking what is next. One guy behind the desk asks the person on the phone to hold for a sec please. Said he had a couple of jobs that can wait, and a couple deciding on what to do. Then nods to me and said “He walked in, he’ll likely be first.” Tech says other guy will have to write it up but he could get started on getting started. I chuckle and say “I know you don’t have a starter for …”
“No, but we will before we can get the old one off. Where’s your car?”
“I was going to push it to save a tow fee.”
“Hey, I’d rather get started and if you were close enough to walk, we have a truck in back, I couldn’t think about charging you for that. “
I asked how tight they were with custs in the shop area. (We were talking and I didn’t want to stop.) “Just look guilty and head for a door if anyone with a suit stares at you.”
He had it loose when the new one arrived via Napa express. But it was trapped in an exhaust/frame/suspension cage. He asked a buddy if he was going to have to remove something else when I chimed in that there was a Haynes in the trunk if he wasn’t too proud.
“Gimme.” :^) Quickly solved with a weird twist.
Can you guess where I bought gas the whole time I was in that part of town?

Dimitrii screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 07:56 AM Reason: Sorry, Color screw up wasn't there in my editor. Checking on it.
Dimitrii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #708
BadTroll
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I didn't mean for free. The point was that if the dealer didn't sell the tire, he didn't make a profit on it, and anything he charged went to overhead, which is usually a non-profit area.
If he didn't sell the bike is he going to refuse to service it? He didn't sell it so he didn't make a profit on it right?

I have no problem with dealers who charge a premium to mount and balance tires they didn't sell.
BadTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #709
gplutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrii View Post
New Job, new to Atlanta. Knew no-one. Get my first check on a Fri late. Sat, decide to open a local checking acct. Bank right on the way between work/home had banner for Sat banking, so I head there later than I thought. 5-6 cars in the lot. Go up to door and it is locked. Just closed at noon. Go back to the car and only get the solenoid click when I hit the starter. Jump the coil; beat on the starter with my 20” crescent, headlights bright. Get a friendly guy to try to start it when I beat on the starter, no joy. Jump from running car didn’t work either. I have swapped starters before but don’t really want to try in a bank parking lot with few tools.

Look up and see a Sear’s auto center across the street. Walk over. 1 guy standing at counter. Not on phone, no customer or any distraction.
“How much will it be to put a new starter in my ’81 Merc Zephyr? 3.3 straight 6. And about how long will it take?”
“Yes.” Give him an extra-long moment before he realizes that I was really asking him to actually look it up instead of checking if he was able to do so.
“No we don’t have it.”
Glad I could get out of the convo. before I had to interrogate a price out of him. Saw a chart for their labor on it, a bit spendy but would have paid it if they had the starter.

Remembered there are 2 gas stations at the main intersection 1/2 block away. Couldn’t remember if either was a Service station but worth a short hike to find out.
2 doors down I walk past another bank that closed at 1 while I was in Sear’s. Think to self, “About right for my day so far.”
Desk is hopping. As I wait a tech sticks his head in asking what is next. One guy behind the desk asks the person on the phone to hold for a sec please. Said he had a couple of jobs that can wait, and a couple deciding on what to do. Then nods to me and said “He walked in, he’ll likely be first.” Tech says other guy will have to write it up but he could get started on getting started. I chuckle and say “I know you don’t have a starter for …”
“Hey, I’d rather get started and if you were close enough to walk, we have a truck in back, I couldn’t think about charging you for that. “
I asked how tight they were with custs in the shop area. (We were talking and I didn’t want to stop.) “Just look guilty and head for a door if anyone with a suit stares at you.”
He had it loose when the new one arrived via Napa express. But it was trapped in an exhaust/frame/suspension cage. He asked a buddy if he was going to have to remove something else when I chimed in that there was a Haynes in the trunk if he wasn’t too proud.
quoted with color change so I can read it
gplutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #710
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplutt View Post
quoted with color change so I can read it
Thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #711
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:

“No we don’t have it.”

Black font on a dark grey background? Nice.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:45 AM   #712
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post

A few months later I ordered another large batch of parts for another project, and the same guy was working the counter. This time, he wore the Chapeau de Moron, and everything was different. Slow, bad attitude, and just shoved a bag of parts at me and walked away. I slowly went through the order right there at the counter and found a couple of odds and ends missing. Sorting that out took dealing with another 35 minutes of surly attitude, defiant stares, etc.
Oh, you shopped at Trans-Am in Lititz, PA.
That mimics the one and only time I ordered parts from the young mouth-breather behind the counter who was nursing a very obvious hangover. I've heard wonderful things about their service department, but I'll never find out myself because the parts doofus infuriated me so much I go 30 minutes in the opposite direction to buy from the next closest dealer. I can only assume these idiots get their jobs because they are the son of the owner or something.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #713
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplutt View Post
quoted with color change so i can read it
thanks

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #714
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
Oh, you shopped at Trans-Am in Lititz, PA.
That mimics the one and only time I ordered parts from the young mouth-breather behind the counter who was nursing a very obvious hangover. I've heard wonderful things about their service department, but I'll never find out myself because the parts doofus infuriated me so much I go 30 minutes in the opposite direction to buy from the next closest dealer. I can only assume these idiots get their jobs because they are the son of the owner or something.
You must believe that motorcycle parts counter guys make $70k a year.

A guy making peanuts for pay having a hangover once in a whie is hardly reason to kick him from a job not many people want, and certainly not worth getting that uptight about. Mid-week a hangover would be questionable, but tolerable - but if you decied to show up on a Saturday or Sunday and yet still get so flustered... Jesus, man, get a grip.

I bet you're a real party to the people around ya.

At a car dealership, where the pay is better, sure - the parts guys are expected to be as professional as the rest of us. But I expect something else from the very large motorcycle dealership's parts department next to my house, and am glad they're at least living life since they aren't getting paid solid wages.

---

I'm slowly learning that some custoemrs just aren't worth a dealership's time and effort. Despite the strong desrie to sell vehicles and parts, it's always nice to see some of the people I work with draw the line and just end what would probably be a terrible business relationship from the get-go.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #715
Dimitrii
nubish

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
New Job, new to Atlanta.
Sorry. Fixed original. My editor didn't have the color screwup. Checking on it.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #716
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
You must believe that motorcycle parts counter guys make $70k a year.

A guy making peanuts for pay having a hangover once in a whie is hardly reason to kick him from a job not many people want, and certainly not worth getting that uptight about. Mid-week a hangover would be questionable, but tolerable - but if you decied to show up on a Saturday or Sunday and yet still get so flustered... Jesus, man, get a grip.

I bet you're a real party to the people around ya.

At a car dealership, where the pay is better, sure - the parts guys are expected to be as professional as the rest of us. But I expect something else from the very large motorcycle dealership's parts department next to my house, and am glad they're at least living life since they aren't getting paid solid wages.

---

I'm slowly learning that some custoemrs just aren't worth a dealership's time and effort. Despite the strong desrie to sell vehicles and parts, it's always nice to see some of the people I work with draw the line and just end what would probably be a terrible business relationship from the get-go.
Calling bullshit here. You don't show up to work hungover if you can't be visibly presentable and useful in front of the customer base. If I were the owner that parts guy would be working in the back that day or he'd be fired if his appearance and demeanor were hurting sales. Regardless of how much someone gets paid there is a level of standard decency that is supposed to be followed, it's called having class.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #717
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,346
When I stopped into the St. Louis Vespa/Guzzi/Aprilia store to look at some bikes, I figured I'd get a couple of oil filters for my wife's Norge. they told me that I was exceedingly lucky that they had one in stock. They don't typically stock oil filters until someone schedules an appointment.

Then, they wanted $24.99 for the oil filter. I walked out without saying a word.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #718
BK
Electron herder

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
Calling bullshit here. You don't show up to work hungover if you can't be visibly presentable and useful in front of the customer base. If I were the owner that parts guy would be working in the back that day or he'd be fired if his appearance and demeanor were hurting sales. Regardless of how much someone gets paid there is a level of standard decency that is supposed to be followed, it's called having class.
Thank you. We're trying to have a civilization here!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #719
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevaldefer View Post
thank you. We're trying to have a civilization here!
here?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #720
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
This guy gets it. ^

The dealership is in business to make money. Retaining an employee who is incompetent, gets visibly irritated at customers for expecting him to do his job correctly/efficiently, being visibly hungover, drunk, stoned, etc, or is generally unhelpful can and does cost the dealer sales. I would surely expect the dealer to take actions to either improve the employee's behavior or let him go/hire someone else.

The wage is irrelevant, if you're agreeing to work the job for a given wage, you should be complying with the rules, which likely include not being a dick to customers.