here?
This planet. (but nice try)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #722
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
Calling bullshit here. You don't show up to work hungover if you can't be visibly presentable and useful in front of the customer base. If I were the owner that parts guy would be working in the back that day or he'd be fired if his appearance and demeanor were hurting sales. Regardless of how much someone gets paid there is a level of standard decency that is supposed to be followed, it's called having class.
Yup.

The "you don't pay me enough to care" approach can get you stuck in low paying jobs for a long time. I don't expect everyone who works in a service industry to be a genius but at minimum be friendly and respectful. The world is just a bit better that way.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #723
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
You must believe that motorcycle parts counter guys make $70k a year.

A guy making peanuts for pay having a hangover once in a whie is hardly reason to kick him from a job not many people want, and certainly not worth getting that uptight about. Mid-week a hangover would be questionable, but tolerable - but if you decied to show up on a Saturday or Sunday and yet still get so flustered... Jesus, man, get a grip.

I bet you're a real party to the people around ya.

Are you trolling or are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
Yup.

The "you don't pay me enough to care" is bullshit and can(should) get you fired. I don't expect everyone who works in a service industry to be a genius but at minimum be friendly, sober and respectful. The world is just a bit better that way.
Fixed it a little.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #724
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
You Puritans do sure get worked up about people indulging in the devils drink, never went to work hungover eh?.

My dealer found the issue with my Shadow this week, I had been trying to find the cause for months, choke stuck on a little on the rear cylinder made the bike run like shit, such a different bike.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #725
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
You Puritans do sure get worked up about people indulging in the devils drink, never went to work hungover eh?.
No, no I haven't.

Anyone with a work ethic(or lack thereof) where they think its OK to come to work hung over to the point they can't, or don't want to, focus on the task at hand should be shown the door.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #726
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
No, no I haven't.

Anyone with a work ethic(or lack thereof) where they think its OK to come to work hung over to the point they can't, or don't want to, focus on the task at hand should be shown the door.
Anyone who has bad hangovers either has a drinking problem or hasn't learned how to drink responsibly.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #727
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Anyone who has bad hangovers either has a drinking problem or hasn't learned how to drink responsibly.
What, you were never young and stupid? Though I have to agree, an employee showing up too hungover to work should be sent home, the first time. Fired the second. I've worked with alcoholics, and the absentee rate is alarming.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #728
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
What, you were never young and stupid? Though I have to agree, an employee showing up too hungover to work should be sent home, the first time. Fired the second. I've worked with alcoholics, and the absentee rate is alarming.

1911fan
Everyone gets one chance to suffer. After that, intelligent people learn to modify their behavior.

The place I worked had a security and medical building, and anyone who came in stinking of the night before was taken there for a breathalyzer exam.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #729
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,918
The college program my wife is in does not allow attendees to show up unshowered, wrinkled, unshaven, drunk, hungover, smelling like pot or alcohol, or inappropriately dressed. You'd think, at some level, people would understand these without having to be sent home at least once.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #730
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

I once asked a business owner friend of mine if he drug tested his employees. He said that at the salary level of most of his people, he'd never be able to find anyone who was drug free, so he put up with the pot smokers.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #731
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
My wife and I own a business, and have had people come in looking for employment. My favorite was a guy who drove up to the front door at 10:00 in the morning, parked crooked, got out holding a half full tall tavern style beer glass and not wearing a shirt. He put the beer down on the roof, reached into the back seat and grabbed a Tshirt and put it on, then walked in the door.

"Uh.yeah.. I'm good at bikes so like are y'all hiring?"

Politely said "no, thanks were all set for staff at this time".

He walked outside, took off the shirt and tossed it through the window, grabbed his glass and took a gulp for the road, then headed on his way.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #732
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
This guy gets it. ^

The dealership is in business to make money. Retaining an employee who is incompetent, gets visibly irritated at customers for expecting him to do his job correctly/efficiently, being visibly hungover, drunk, stoned, etc, or is generally unhelpful can and does cost the dealer sales. I would surely expect the dealer to take actions to either improve the employee's behavior or let him go/hire someone else.

The wage is irrelevant, if you're agreeing to work the job for a given wage, you should be complying with the rules, which likely include not being a dick to customers.
Accepting the above is why, my guess, many businesses fail... I see horrible customer service daily. I am amazed employees bring that, and employers accept it.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #733
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Seatbelt stop kit. You know that little plastic button on your seatbelt that stops the buckle from sliding all the way to the bottom? Dealership wanted $35.00 for a new one when mine gave out.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #734
electroken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
Seatbelt stop kit. You know that little plastic button on your seatbelt that stops the buckle from sliding all the way to the bottom? Dealership wanted $35.00 for a new one when mine gave out.
Around here they would have insisted on selling a new seat belt. Can't f- with safety systems. Good thing those buttons are 2 for $7 at Advance Auto Parts.
electroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #735
mike in idaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Overheard this at the counter at the Petco store one day:"I don't care if you are hungover, self inflicted wounds are no excuse, get it together."
'72 Commando 750
My company car is a Kenworth
mike in idaho is offline   Reply With Quote