Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #751
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
If I get 40% mark up, I make twice as much on the OEM KTM battery for the same effort as the $115 aftermarket battery. And I have the manufacturer's warranty on that part.
That's assuming that you actually have someone buy the OEM battery. some in here have said they walked instead of buying the OEM battery. I did the same 2 months ago when the local BMW Dealer wanted $189 for the OEM battery.

That dealer got 40% of $0 since he had no sale.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #752
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
How on earth do they do valve adjustments on customer bikes? Tear them down and take up shop space for a week waiting on parts?
The Guzzi dealer in St. Louis considers oil filters to be be 'special item parts'
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #753
tommysmothers
Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer: 195
I work part-time as a "parts guy" for a chain saw dealer/rental equip center.

It sucks.

The mechanics want parts now. Your boss has an inventory budget. The mechanics get chewed if stuff takes too long to get fixed. Your boss gets chewed if we spend too much in parts. Everyone blames it on you.

Now, 95% of the parts we order are for our own equipment or customer equipment that is being repaired by one of our mechanics. There's usually a 3-4 day lag on repairing equipment, that's pretty standard I believe. We make parts orders once or twice a week, and everything runs pretty smoothly.

But then a customer comes in with a 20 year old saw, and expects us to have an OEM carburetor or shaped fuel line that is specific to that model. Sorry, 3-4 days. Though we do try to keep all of the basics for every model on hand.
tommysmothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #754
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
That's assuming that you actually have someone buy the OEM battery. some in here have said they walked instead of buying the OEM battery....That dealer got 40% of $0 since he had no sale.
Neatly made the point I was going to.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #755
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Neatly made the point I was going to.

1911fan
Also made on post 751 : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=751

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #756
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,154
Like others, I can pay premium to support a local business if they support me as a customer in return.

By offering a good service, by having the common parts in stock, by helping me in some ways if things goes wrong, etc.

I understand that they have to pay a building, employees, inventory...hence the mark-up.

But if the only thing they can do is ordering every parts I'm trying to buy from them...I'll do it myself and save money.

I mean, if their employees are just middle men with next to no knowledge, if I have to find the exact part I need before ordering it because they have no fucking idea what I'm talking about, if the only thing they do is checking a button on an online ordering form...why should I pay their wages? I can fill an online form myself, thanks.

If their building (parts service wise) sole purpose is to host a computer to order parts, why should I pay for that? I have a computer at home, thanks.

If they support no inventory, why should I pay for that? I'll order online and build my own inventory, thanks.

SgtDuster screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 11:28 AM Reason: typo
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #757
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
40% of zero isn't much. The incentive is to produce sales. Walmart makes big money on a 3% or less mark-up by selling voulme. If you sell a non OEM part for 20% mark-up, but sell 100 of them it beats the hell out of 40% mark-up on 20 sales. As for warranty, the aftermarket also honors warranty through authorized retailers.
No argument from me, I'm in complete agreement with you.

When I worked parts (many, many years ago) for an import dealer, I actually researched old parts books for obsolete parts that were no longer shown on micro fiche but were still available from the mfg. We actually increased our monthly sales numbers quite a bit by supplying customers who were doing restorations. We also sold a large amount of aftermarket parts at prices competitive with mail order and local aftermarket stores.

I thought this was a nice deal since I was paid commission. The dealer principal thought I was making to much with those increased commissions and told me he was going to cut my pay rate. He actually told me that I was being paid to much for a "part's guy" . I gave my notice.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #758
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

That is insane! You are making more money because you increased sales and the profit of the dealership!

Jim
Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #759
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,374
Quote:
.......... He actually told me that I was being paid to much for a "part's guy" . I gave my notice.
Not uncommon, the franchise I worked for was acquired by a big mega dealer, and although highly successful through spending millions on advertising, NOT by customer service.

I hired a young mechanic, HARD worker, worked through lunches and breaks, good diagnostician and very efficient tech, he was flat rate like all the techs were, he only got paid for the work he did.

Well the Moron Service Director called me in one day and said Russ is making too much $$, he is making more than some of the 20 year tech's, even though his pay scale/ FR hour was less. Everyone in the shop was busy, and not running out of work, so he wasn't "hogging or cherry picking jobs. I looked at him and said, So? he is working his a$$ off, and earning every cent. He replied that I needed to give him less work and if that lengthened the back log for appointments hire another tech, because we couldn't have him making those $$.

Dumbfounded, I replied that I would like to find 5 more like him, and why would we want to hire an additional tech, pay his benefits, when he was so productive. He said well then we will have to lower his FR pay scale!!!! Needless to say after that experience, and putting up with the stupidity of the mega dealer for a short time, I left a 20 year service manager career and got an Engineering degree.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #760
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Been dealing

With a local shop here for 5-6 years now. Been with them through several bikes, even when they didnt service / sell them.
There are times when I could have saved 5-10 bucks ordering something online, however, I consider the service I get from the shop to be worth a few extra dollars. The amount of time the service manager spent on the phone with me AND in the shop while looking for hard to find new OEM parts for a restoration, and making nothing on it, tells me I made a good decision in supporting them.

I think , if the dealer as a whole , really puts effort into service and building relationships, then I say support them. If not, screw em.
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #761
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
Not uncommon, the franchise I worked for was acquired by a big mega dealer, and although highly successful through spending millions on advertising, NOT by customer service.

I hired a young mechanic, HARD worker, worked through lunches and breaks, good diagnostician and very efficient tech, he was flat rate like all the techs were, he only got paid for the work he did.

Well the Moron Service Director called me in one day and said Russ is making too much $$, he is making more than some of the 20 year tech's, even though his pay scale/ FR hour was less. Everyone in the shop was busy, and not running out of work, so he wasn't "hogging or cherry picking jobs. I looked at him and said, So? he is working his a$$ off, and earning every cent. He replied that I needed to give him less work and if that lengthened the back log for appointments hire another tech, because we couldn't have him making those $$.

Dumbfounded, I replied that I would like to find 5 more like him, and why would we want to hire an additional tech, pay his benefits, when he was so productive. He said well then we will have to lower his FR pay scale!!!! Needless to say after that experience, and putting up with the stupidity of the mega dealer for a short time, I left a 20 year service manager career and got an Engineering degree.
Quote:
No argument from me, I'm in complete agreement with you.

When I worked parts (many, many years ago) for an import dealer, I actually researched old parts books for obsolete parts that were no longer shown on micro fiche but were still available from the mfg. We actually increased our monthly sales numbers quite a bit by supplying customers who were doing restorations. We also sold a large amount of aftermarket parts at prices competitive with mail order and local aftermarket stores.

I thought this was a nice deal since I was paid commission. The dealer principal thought I was making to much with those increased commissions and told me he was going to cut my pay rate. He actually told me that I was being paid to much for a "part's guy" . I gave my notice.
That is amazing. I fail to understand how people can be that shortsighted or just plain ignorant. If the other employees gripe, the answer is not to cut the wages of the productive guys, but to tell the less productive ones that if they work like the productive ones, they can make that sort of money too. It's there if you want it badly enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
That is insane! You are making more money because you increased sales and the profit of the dealership!

Jim
I agree, insanity. That is a mutually beneficial relationship, the guy on commission earning more as he helps the dealer earn more. How could anybody think it to be a good idea to cut his wages? I'd be looking to hire more folks just like that guy (if any could be found, since fewer people appear willing to actually put forth effort every year).

I wonder if this isn't folks in management positions being worried that their jobs may be in jeopardy of being given to more driven/motivated people, so they try to run such people off.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #762
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post

I agree, insanity. That is a mutually beneficial relationship, the guy on commission earning more as he helps the dealer earn more. How could anybody think it to be a good idea to cut his wages? I'd be looking to hire more folks just like that guy (if any could be found, since fewer people appear willing to actually put forth effort every year).

I wonder if this isn't folks in management positions being worried that their jobs may be in jeopardy of being given to more driven/motivated people, so they try to run such people off.
My experiences with retail, mostly jewelry, has been that the top sales people often make more than the store manager. The smart store manager, which I think I was, was not at all upset about this. The salesman works damn hard on sales, usually harder than the manager. The manager, and the store, benefit from this hard work, especially if there are several tops salesmen!

Jim
Old 07-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #763
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
I read a good one on another forum today, new bike owner questions his sprocket sizes, seems as if the dealer sold and installed a 520 front sprocket with a 525 chain & rear sprocket and told the customer that the 520 front sprocket was "universal"
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #764
*Gmoney*
don't look here

Oddometer: 910
Have seen this a lot of times when I was at the dealer,
it puts the manager in a confusing position.
Because the higher up's see a man that is out working the senior help, questions manager, who knows if the senior help is confronted,
about this man with less experience out producing them and demand the same output from them they may walk out on the job.
The new guys always have more ambition, but managers know that sometimes the senoir employees have expericence that needs to be called on.
Its the same as this site,
we see new guys all excited,
but we still want to fall back on
the experience,
of some of the senior members here.
And we witness the young booted on the site,
and like the dealers we have to admit we prefer the
senior members here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post

*Gmoney* screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 10:09 PM Reason: we have to admit
*Gmoney* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #765
*Gmoney*
don't look here

Oddometer: 910
And then zoning screwed the dealers,
they created what they called,
Auto Malls,
forced all dealers into one area of the city.
We no longer had to load our tools in trucks
and transport them for miles.
We could quit,
open the door and just roll them down the street to
our next temporary job before someone would out perform us and they demand more.
It was off to next place that lost their senior help.
Never work for a place that demands you remove the wheels off of your tool box,
and always keep them well lubed!
*Gmoney* is offline   Reply With Quote