ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 04:25 AM   #766
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
I am with you on this, but I have an issue with them not even stocking simply maintenance parts like valve shims. These things are tiny, take up almost no space, and are cheap..

Any dealer I have called in the area (out to 50 miles from my house) has informed me that they are special order parts and that it will be 3-5 business days to get them. I can get them faster and cheaper to my doorstep, why would I order through them? If you had them in stock I would pay the premium to be able to complete the maintenance on my bike in a single day.

How on earth do they do valve adjustments on customer bikes? Tear them down and take up shop space for a week waiting on parts?
There are dozens of different size valve shims of different diameters for different size engines. They likely do what a lot of folks do and just get the kit from Hot Cams.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Valve-Shim-Kit

3 of each size. When we were riding dirt a lot, it was easy to share the cost of the kit with a riding buddy. If you're good friends with a dealer, you can also trade shims with him if he's agreeable. They don't go bad.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #767
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
The Guzzi dealer in St. Louis considers oil filters to be be 'special item parts'
So do a lot of Yamaha and Kawasaki shops... That's why I've been using auto filters for years. Or at least one of the reasons.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #768
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Like others, I can pay premium to support a local business if they support me as a customer in return.

By offering a good service, by having the common parts in stock, by helping me in some ways if things goes wrong, etc.

I understand that they have to pay a building, employees, inventory...hence the mark-up.

But if the only thing they can do is ordering every parts I'm trying to buy from them...I'll do it myself and save money.

I mean, if their employees are just middle men with next to no knowledge, if I have to find the exact part I need before ordering it because they have no fucking idea what I'm talking about, if the only thing they do is checking a button on an online ordering form...why should I pay their wages? I can fill an online form myself, thanks.

If their building (parts service wise) sole purpose is to host a computer to order parts, why should I pay for that? I have a computer at home, thanks.

If they support no inventory, why should I pay for that? I'll order only and build my own inventory, thanks.
Funny... When I go to get parts, I already have the OEM part number and if it's an aftermarket part, I'll have the Tucker Rocky, Parts Unlimited and/or the WPS numbers as well. I've taken almost all effort out of the equation for them and I HAVE STILL received the wrong parts due to them keying them in wrong...
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #769
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DR Donk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Western Michigan
Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Funny... When I go to get parts, I already have the OEM part number and if it's an aftermarket part, I'll have the Tucker Rocky, Parts Unlimited and/or the WPS numbers as well. I've taken almost all effort out of the equation for them and I HAVE STILL received the wrong parts due to them keying them in wrong...
The same thing happened to me once when giving the dealer a order that I would normally just get online and they blamed me for giving them the wrong info. I checked and saw they had made the mistake when ordering. Then I had to wait three weeks in the middle of summer because it was backordered. Says the raven "nevermore"
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #770
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navy Chief's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Waynesboro, PA
Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
There are dozens of different size valve shims of different diameters for different size engines. They likely do what a lot of folks do and just get the kit from Hot Cams.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Valve-Shim-Kit

3 of each size. When we were riding dirt a lot, it was easy to share the cost of the kit with a riding buddy. If you're good friends with a dealer, you can also trade shims with him if he's agreeable. They don't go bad.
Due to lack of interest in good customer service at any of the dealers in my area I have put together a pretty decent supply of common use parts and consumables in my garage for my bikes so I don't have to rely on them for anything. This was not my first choice, I would really prefer to support a local business, but when they show no interest in supporting me as a customer I go elsewhere...
Navy Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #771
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
There are dozens of different size valve shims of different diameters for different size engines. They likely do what a lot of folks do and just get the kit from Hot Cams.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Valve-Shim-Kit

3 of each size. When we were riding dirt a lot, it was easy to share the cost of the kit with a riding buddy. If you're good friends with a dealer, you can also trade shims with him if he's agreeable. They don't go bad.
He rides a KLR, they have made them as is for over 25 years. They should have a set for sale in stock!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #772
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes
 
atomicalex's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Detroit & Düsseldorf
Oddometer: 1,904
For all of the BS I have been through with the service group at my local BMW shop, the parts desk has been fantastic. Not only can I get stuff same day if I order early enough (assuming Dingolfing is not flooded out), but now I even have email privileges - no pre-pay or anything. Just email the list is by 0930 and around 1230 it is all there.
__________________
Katherine, in words - F650GSa - CBR250R (sold) - Super Sherpa - Nine Days in the Alps
atomicalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #773
John E
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 745
Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
Customer called our independent shop the other day...

Customer: Do you have all the Honda parts?
Me: Not all of them, no, but what are you looking for?
Customer: I need the gas lid for a 1300.
Me: Which 1300?
Customer: HONDA!
Me: Which one do you have? Is it an ST1300, VTX1300, CBX1300?
Customer: It's the Honda!!!


After a few more questions and another bump up in her frustration level I determined it was the VTX1300. I look up the part, tell her the price, and tell her I can have it here in a couple of days.

Customer: You don't have it in stock?! How do you ever expect to sell anything when you don't have it in stock?

Used to work at a bicycle shop. One day we get a phone call...

Would-be customer "do you sell tires that fit a Schwinn bike?"

Me " yes, what model of Schwinn is it?"

WBC " it's a blue one..."

Got worse after that.
__________________
" ...said James in my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a 52' Vincent and a red headed girl..."

"1952 Vincent Black Lightning"
Richard Thompson
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:44 AM   #774
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
The same thing happened to me once when giving the dealer a order that I would normally just get online and they blamed me for giving them the wrong info. I checked and saw they had made the mistake when ordering. Then I had to wait three weeks in the middle of summer because it was backordered. Says the raven "nevermore"

Unfortunately, it's happened to me more than once. Not a lot, but enough to lose trust in their ability to read and write/type. I'd prefer to only have myself to blame for mistakes, but...
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #775
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Due to lack of interest in good customer service at any of the dealers in my area I have put together a pretty decent supply of common use parts and consumables in my garage for my bikes so I don't have to rely on them for anything. This was not my first choice, I would really prefer to support a local business, but when they show no interest in supporting me as a customer I go elsewhere...

I'm in exactly the same situation.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:52 AM   #776
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
He rides a KLR, they have made them as is for over 25 years. They should have a set for sale in stock!

Jim
I don't know what size shims the KLR uses. Coming from the dirt bike world, ALL 250Fs used 7.xx mm shims and ALL 450Fs used 9.xx mm shims. I can state pretty surely that none of the half dozen or so shops I frequented at that time had any shims for sale. The mechanics may have had their own stash for doing valve adjustments. I'd also be willing to bet that they had very few requests to keep the Hot Cams kits in stock or they likely would have. Well, if they paid attention to lost sales and all.

I take back part of that. There was one KTM shop in Richmond, VA (about 100 miles from me) that stocked EVERYTHING. They're out of business now and I don't know if it's a situation where A caused B, but I do know that I drove the 200 mile round trip more than a few times to be able to accomplish something on a Saturday that I wasn't aware of on Thursday or Friday.
Quick example - none of the other 4 KTM dealers within reach had ANY fork seals at all for a current model bike. The shop in Richmond had 7 - and a choice between OEM and a couple aftermarket manufacturers. This was the case with every single thing I ever called them about.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #777
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
I don't know what size shims the KLR uses. Coming from the dirt bike world, ALL 250Fs used 7.xx mm shims and ALL 450Fs used 9.xx mm shims. I can state pretty surely that none of the half dozen or so shops I frequented at that time had any shims for sale. The mechanics may have had their own stash for doing valve adjustments. I'd also be willing to bet that they had very few requests to keep the Hot Cams kits in stock or they likely would have. Well, if they paid attention to lost sales and all.

I take back part of that. There was one KTM shop in Richmond, VA (about 100 miles from me) that stocked EVERYTHING. They're out of business now and I don't know if it's a situation where A caused B, but I do know that I drove the 200 mile round trip more than a few times to be able to accomplish something on a Saturday that I wasn't aware of on Thursday or Friday.
Quick example - none of the other 4 KTM dealers within reach had ANY fork seals at all for a current model bike. The shop in Richmond had 7 - and a choice between OEM and a couple aftermarket manufacturers. This was the case with every single thing I ever called them about.
I should have put quotes on the "should" part indicating that they SHOULD have them, not that many shops are smart enough to actually have them.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:07 AM   #778
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Barnone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 3,638
"If their building (parts service wise) sole purpose is to host a computer to order parts, why should I pay for that? I have a computer at home, thanks."
That is why I never even bother asking for a part at a local dealer.
I am not blaming them for not stocking a part but if they went out of business tomorrow I would not miss them.
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC
2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Ural Yamal
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #779
NC-Okie
Beastly Adventurer
 
NC-Okie's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 2,799
I have been in the Honda Suzuki parts bussiness for a couple of years now and I must admit my time is quickly coming to an end. From the customer that gets upset that I do not have an rear brake caliper for an 1982 Honda CB900F in stock nor can I get it from Honda anymore. Yes I understand you got a great buy on Craigslist BUT that doesn't matter to Honda. Then the Goldwing owner that thinks he is entitled to an "Goldwing Riders discount" because he bought his GL1200 from the shop new in 1984. To the Hardly rider who doesn't understand there is not an Universal Hardly tire that fits all makes and models and no if you show up at 3:30 on a Saturday afternoon we are not staying late to mount it.

It is not just the 2 wheeled owners but the ATV owners can be worse. Recently we had an individual buy an 2013 Suzuki LT750 ATV and the first weekend he had it he submarined it in the river. Hydro-locked it and had the piston roll 90 degrees in the cylinder. The piston actually looks like an Tootsie Roll. Parts alone is 5k in damage and no Suzuki is not warranty him and his Hold my beer and watch me moment. He is threatening to take us to court but we have plenty of pictures of the way it came in and the water that came out of the air box and crankcase.

Yes I am going to miss the riders that do actually ride and understand that I have to purchase the parts, pay overhead, electric, and taxes. Just seems the Motorcycle owners far out number the motorcycle riders.

NC-Okie screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 08:35 AM
NC-Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #780
dmaxmike
former quadtard.
 
dmaxmike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Close to the groundhog, PA
Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-Okie View Post
Just seems the Motorcycle owners far out number the motorcycle riders.
love it!
__________________
I don't know how to ride a bike...yet
CRF250X
F650 GS Dakar
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014