Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #781
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
"If their building (parts service wise) sole purpose is to host a computer to order parts, why should I pay for that? I have a computer at home, thanks."
That is why I never even bother asking for a part at a local dealer.
I am not blaming them for not stocking a part but if they went out of business tomorrow I would not miss them.
I've queried the local BMW parts manager this very question a couple of months ago after the fourth time of him telling me 'no, they don't have it in stock, but they can order it'

I politely said: I understand that you can order the part, but so can I. And it will be on my door step in 3 days for the same price or less, including shipping, that I'd pay you to have to come back out here and get it in a week. I'm not trying to be a dick here, but what value or service are you adding that would convince me to spend more money AND more time to get the exact same part?

He had no response.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #782
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I politely said: I understand that you can order the part, but so can I. And it will be on my door step in 3 days for the same price or less, including shipping, that I'd pay you to have to come back out here and get it in a week. I'm not trying to be a dick here, but what value or service are you adding that would convince me to spend more money AND more time to get the exact same part?

That's the dilemma, do I support the local dealer or just order the part exactly as he will do? I try to support the dealer but I admit, except for getting my bike serviced and buying oil and filter from the dealer, I buy mostly online.
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #783
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
How do you get 3k out of a PR@??? Mine were bald edge to edge in 2750!!!

(Boy I had a lot of fun in NC)
[Tire thread]
I normally got 11k out of PR2s, and gave them up because they were losing grip, not because they were bald.
[/Tire thread]
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #784
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
And like lots of folks here, I have NO problem paying a local guy a premium to have the parts I need in stock. I try fairly hard to support the local guys. I want them to stay in business. They need to realize that their competition isn't the guy down the road anymore, but the Internet. "I can order it for you" is a ridiculous statement to make anymore. I can order it myself, for cheaper and likely have it on my front doorstep before they've even keyed in the order.
Datapoint: Needed an air filter for a Seca II. Same part fit lots of mid-90s Yamahas. Nobody had it in stock (OK, no surprise) but "I can order it, probably be 1-2 weeks" is not acceptable when I can buy one online myself for 1/2 the price and have it in three days. That's what the shops have to compete with; and for people who for whatever reason don't do their own maintenance, paying someone else to also order the right parts is probably a fair part of the game. My sister in law has a lot of quads that she and her family ride a lot a couple months a year, then neglect teh rest of the year. About a month before she wants to go riding, they pull 'em out, and the ones that don't start they take to the dealership, typically to have the carbs de-gunked. I think a little Stabil in the gas and a battery tender would be easier and cheaper, the the shop likes her method...

Quote:
Now, there's likely to be a distribution center within 1-2 days shipping time and it's all done online. So, they feel in many cases, it's more efficient to let the vendor be their warehouse. I get this and in a perfect world, it would probably work pretty well. But as we've all seen, there are a LOT of flaws in the system.
If it was 1-2 days, and I had faith the dealer would actually deliver in that time, I'd have paid that premium to have it a day or two sooner.

Meanwhile, the local Cycle Gear has been very good; they'll take the time to look up parts in PU, WPS, and TR, look them up in the computer, and order from either the cheapest or whichever has it closest, my choice. Most of what I buy there is special order, and only once in the past half dozen orders has it taken longer to get than they anticpated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
I am with you on this, but I have an issue with them not even stocking simply maintenance parts like valve shims. These things are tiny, take up almost no space, and are cheap..

Any dealer I have called in the area (out to 50 miles from my house) has informed me that they are special order parts and that it will be 3-5 business days to get them. I can get them faster and cheaper to my doorstep, why would I order through them? If you had them in stock I would pay the premium to be able to complete the maintenance on my bike in a single day.

How on earth do they do valve adjustments on customer bikes? Tear them down and take up shop space for a week waiting on parts?
Shims take up no space, but I would suspect that they are "Service Department" stock, not "Parts Department" stock. Ditto other very common maintenance items; while for less common ones, they order the expected parts in when you schedule (in advance) a service appointment. This seems reasonable to me.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #785
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,738
Things my local Suzuki dealer has not had in stock, but can order for a premium price of course, for my DR350 include:
  • Jets
  • O-rings
  • Crush washers
  • Spark plug
  • Brake pads
My bike has been out of production for over 10 years but the parts I'm asking for should be common with a good proportion of all Suzuki's ever made. The shop has a parts guy and a modest warehouse so they must be stocking something!!

IIRC, they DID have an oil filter but wanted something silly like $18 for it - I can buy a dozen for that price on line.

I never bought anything from them and have basically given up trying.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:50 AM   #786
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-Okie View Post
From the customer that gets upset that I do not have an rear brake caliper for an 1982 Honda CB900F in stock nor can I get it from Honda anymore.
Things like that have NEVER been my complaint. I get that you can't stock every SKU ever invented for everything. I have a problem with a shop not having an air filter, OEM or aftermarket, for a YZ250F that fits ~125 different models. Or a throttle tube. Or a brake lever. Or a single rear tire that fits. Etc.

Big shops. Multi brand shops with a shitload of showroom square footage and hundreds of bikes, kwads, scooters, PWCs, etc. New two story buildings with spiral staircases, etc. But no parts. Not even stuff I consider consumables.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:00 AM   #787
Hondarider
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 613
"This Honda XR650L is going to be the hot bike this year...you better move fast before someone buys this one."

A sales guy actually said this to me a year or so ago. I was stunned. I felt like Marty McFly. I had to find a newspaper to see if it was indeed 1992.
Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #788
NC-Okie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,802
slartidbartfast
I currently have 9 Suzuki oil filters for the DR350 (Suzuki # 16510-38240) on the shelf and a price of $6.85 each. Also EBC brake pads not Suzuki pads for $31.95. You can't have everything on the shelf but we try to have items that have a sales history.

The owner here is not one to spend heavly on the building and it shows but he pays his monthly bills and people do not believe me when I tell them we maintain about 180K in parts and accesories from month to month.

Yesterday we did have a strange situation in service. We had an 1985 Magna, 1985 Shadow and 1984 Goldwing on service lifts all at once. It was kinda strange walking across the service floor and realizing its 2013 and having 3 mid 1980's bikes in for service at the same time.
NC-Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #789
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Yesterday we did have a strange situation in service. We had an 1985 Magna, 1985 Shadow and 1984 Goldwing on service lifts all at once. It was kinda strange walking across the service floor and realizing its 2013 and having 3 mid 1980's bikes in for service at the same time.
I think that is an excellent commentary on how reliable bikes from 30 years ago are, and how much Japan changed the whole motorcycle industry.

When I first started riding 40 years ago, 30 year old bikes from the 1940s were simply never seen - either on the road or in a workshop - they had been retired many years earlier as being archaic, unreliable and obsolete devices unworthy of spending time and/or money on repair or maintenance.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #790
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,323
Quote:
I have been in the Honda Suzuki parts bussiness for a couple of years now and I must admit my time is quickly coming to an end. From the customer that gets upset that I do not have an rear brake caliper for an 1982 Honda CB900F in stock nor can I get it from Honda anymore. Yes I understand you got a great buy on Craigslist BUT that doesn't matter to Honda. Then the Goldwing owner that thinks he is entitled to an "Goldwing Riders discount" because he bought his GL1200 from the shop new in 1984. To the Hardly rider who doesn't understand there is not an Universal Hardly tire that fits all makes and models and no if you show up at 3:30 on a Saturday afternoon we are not staying late to mount it.

It is not just the 2 wheeled owners but the ATV owners can be worse. Recently we had an individual buy an 2013 Suzuki LT750 ATV and the first weekend he had it he submarined it in the river. Hydro-locked it and had the piston roll 90 degrees in the cylinder. The piston actually looks like an Tootsie Roll. Parts alone is 5k in damage and no Suzuki is not warranty him and his Hold my beer and watch me moment. He is threatening to take us to court but we have plenty of pictures of the way it came in and the water that came out of the air box and crankcase.

Yes I am going to miss the riders that do actually ride and understand that I have to purchase the parts, pay overhead, electric, and taxes. Just seems the Motorcycle owners far out number the motorcycle riders.
I would fully understand. If you're here in the USA, there's little doubt we're becoming an 'Idiocracy,' and you're going to have to deal with that more and more. Part of the problem is that this market is not like some Asian countries where certain runs of scooters/motorcycles were made for years and years at a time - in far more numbers than any bike sold here in the USA.

I know that, for service, the local motorcycle dealership states that they will not work on a bike that is over X amount of years old. (I think that number is something like 10 or 12). Likewise, I don't think it would hurt your business any (but it may help with the lengthy stupid conversations you're dealing with) if you put a large sign up stating that because you can't stock all parts for all bikes, your warehouse will not stock even common or consumable parts for any bike over 12 years old.

Now if an air filter, oil filter, brake pad or muffler bearing on the next customer's 1995 crappola bike happens to use the same part as a more current production run, then "Wow, Mr. Cheapskate/Motorcycle Collector customer - your'e in luck!" If not, then they can relish in the wait for parts that is incurred by nearly all antique collectors.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #791
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider View Post
"This Honda XR650L is going to be the hot bike this year...you better move fast before someone buys this one."

A sales guy actually said this to me a year or so ago. I was stunned. I felt like Marty McFly. I had to find a newspaper to see if it was indeed 1992.
A bit off topic but this reminded me of shopping around for a car and visiting the flagship VW dealer in Manhattan, owned by VWoA corporate but operated by Open Road (local group that operates a couple other VW dealers in the area).

Now this is the premier VW dealer in the country probably, beautiful building and showroom, great Manhattan location, clean, modern, etc.

Get approached by a salesman, mention to him that I'm looking at the GTI, also looking at the Ford Focus. No sooner do I make mention of this than he opens up the door of the GTI on the showroom floor and slams it, giving the old "THAT'S a Volkswagen, you don't get that in a Ford" BS - then goes on to talk about how he could hoist himself up on the open door (though the guy was kind of obese so I secretly wanted to see him try).

Holeeee shit I felt like I just went back in time 30 years. What a turn off. Clearly the guy was not the "right fit" for the dealer because when I went back like a week later he was "no longer with the company"
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #792
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,318
Reminds me of the "badger" commercials.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #793
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Reminds me of the "badger" commercials.

Yeah I think that's the same guy
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #794
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Things my local Suzuki dealer has not had in stock, but can order for a premium price of course, for my DR350 include:
  • Jets
  • O-rings
  • Crush washers
  • Spark plug
  • Brake pads
My bike has been out of production for over 10 years but the parts I'm asking for should be common with a good proportion of all Suzuki's ever made. The shop has a parts guy and a modest warehouse so they must be stocking something!!

IIRC, they DID have an oil filter but wanted something silly like $18 for it - I can buy a dozen for that price on line.

I never bought anything from them and have basically given up trying.
Found out the hard way on jets and keep a pretty decent collection on hand now.
O-rings, crush washers and the like can be had at any decent hardware/auto parts store.
I get my plugs at Advance Auto for about 1/3-1/2 of what the dealer wants for the same plug.
Brake pads... find out what EBC or Galfer or whatever fits and cross reference it for them. A quick check shows that the EBC part # is FA135x. Those are used on a bazillion different bikes. Something will work if they stock anything at all. Some parts guys can do the cross reference, some need you to do it for them.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #795
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Found out the hard way on jets and keep a pretty decent collection on hand now.
O-rings, crush washers and the like can be had at any decent hardware/auto parts store.
I get my plugs at Advance Auto for about 1/3-1/2 of what the dealer wants for the same plug.
Brake pads... find out what EBC or Galfer or whatever fits and cross reference it for them. A quick check shows that the EBC part # is FA135x. Those are used on a bazillion different bikes. Something will work if they stock anything at all. Some parts guys can do the cross reference, some need you to do it for them.
I'm aware of the alternative sources. Needed a couple of more specialized (but still not totally obscure) parts such as cam cover sealing washers. While I was there, I would've been willing to pay a few $ extra for the convenience of one-stop shopping. As others have said, however, I refuse to pay sky-high prices for someone to order a bunch of parts I can order myself for delivery to my own doorstep.

Local BMW dealer OTOH always has maintenance parts in stock (crush washers, etc.) and often more obscure stuff, doesn't charge an-arm-and-a-leg for them considering they have them handy, and usually provides free advice (where needed) with a smile.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote