Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #871
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
I didn't get what I wanted. I went to pick the parts up and realised immediately that they were incorrect. The dealer refused to take them back upon delivery. That entire negative experience could have been avoided had they actually gotten me the correct parts, which is what I made a deal with them for, the parts that fit my bike. The parts that were given to me did not fit my bike, were the wrong shape/design, and appeared to be completely different.

Subsequent orders from Ron Ayers and Bike Bandit proved that they were the wrong part.
I fully understand that you want to spread the word about their incompetence/rudeness/whatever. I would too. However, you also wanted them to take the parts back for a refund and used the posts as a ploy to get that. If you had no intention of taking your posts down, you should not have returned the parts. Have to agree with 1911fan - You made a deal and broke it once you got what you wanted. You are being as much of a jerk as you say they are.

Not sure how you could repost something indicating what happened and that it was only resolved under duress without also violating the spirit of the agreement. Still, there will be plenty of people who have seen the posts and heard the story so you have got the word out. Be satisified with that and continue to pursue a complaint with Kawasaki NA perhaps?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #872
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
There is some truth to this. I do think also that, there should be quite a bit of difference in servicing costs between a $5k bike, a $14k bike, and a $25k bike. There really is no logical reason why Kawasaki/Suzuki/Honda/Yamaha dealers (at least in the northeast) are charging $100/hour in labour costs, when BMW charges maybe $110. But the manufacturers don't set that, unfortunately, the dealers do.
Why the fuck would you think that? Do you really believe a guy who works on one brand should be paid more/less than another? Does the BMW guy have more $ invested in his toolbox? (NO) Does the BMW guy pay higher/lower rent than the KawaSuzHonYam guy? (NO) Does the KawaSuzHonYam guy pay any more/less for the factory training than the Harley dealer (NO)

Most importantly, does the customer deserve better treatment because his bike came from Europe instead of China, Japan, or right here from the good ol' USA? (HELL NO!!!!!)

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #873
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Why the fuck would you think that? Do you really believe a guy who works on one brand should be paid more/less than another? Does the BMW guy have more $ invested in his toolbox? (NO) Does the BMW guy pay higher/lower rent than the KawaSuzHonYam guy? (NO) Does the KawaSuzHonYam guy pay any more/less for the factory training than the Harley dealer (NO)

Most importantly, does the customer deserve better treatment because his bike came from Europe instead of China, Japan, or right here from the good ol' USA? (HELL NO!!!!!)
I was thinking the same thing.

Also, if a manufacturer can build a $5000 bike that doesn't require an expensive ($1000+) why can't another manufacturer (cough*bmw*cough) do the same thing on a $25000 bike?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #874
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,761
I was thinking the Japanese manufacturers should raise the prices on all of their bikes to compete...oh wait, no I wasn't.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #875
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post

Also, if a manufacturer can build a $5000 bike that doesn't require an expensive ($1000+) why can't another manufacturer (cough*bmw*cough) do the same thing on a $25000 bike?

BMW services do not cost $1000, unless you add tires or something. Do them yourself and they cost less than $150.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #876
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

BMW services do not cost $1000, unless you add tires or something. Do them yourself and they cost less than $150.

Jim
$150?? You must be using over priced oil. Don't think I spent $1000 total for maintenance in 55K miles, unless you count the 20+ sets of tires I turned bald.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #877
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
Are they reapplying the gold leaf on the tank? What bike has a $1,000 7,500 mile service?
1098/1198 Ducati. $1000+.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #878
ChaoSS402
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
[QUOTE=1911fan;21964292]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS402 View Post
It's a 250 ninja, and the 7500 mile service ...quoted me 970 someodd dollars.../QUOTE]

Holy crap, what's their hourly rate? $500? Where do you live?

1911fan
Visalia. Normal hourly rate, I think they just take a long time to do the service.

Less time than it takes me, actually, but then, I'm rather inexperienced at it and have move slowly and carefully. From what I hear, a lot of dealers in other places charge about 300 for the same service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
They agreed to take the parts back and refund your money, in return for which you agreed to take down your public posts disparaging them. They took the parts back and refunded your money, fulfilling their end of the agreement. You left your posts up, reneging on your end of the agreement.

That clearer? IMHO, and I know you disagree, you should follow through. Yup, they're douchebags, and they were wrong, and you know your bike better than they apparently do..... but a deal is a deal. I like to think my word is worth something.

1911fan
I actually have to disagree with you here. They took his money, and agreed to give him a certain part. If they did not honor that agreement, than a bit of trickery could very well be in order to get his money back. I think it would be different if they had offered to take the return and do a free oil change, for example, in exchange for taking down the reviews, then I would agree that he should not have reneged. However, he was just getting them to return the money that they basically scammed from them, so trickery seems pretty fair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
I think it's pretty fair for a high priced bike to have a more expensive service. For example, I have a BMW K1200LT. In order to do pretty much anything, you have to remove the fairings, and in order to do that, you must remove the mirrors. The mirrors are fairly easy to damage when removing, and the dealers charge about 400 dollars apiece for them, which means their cost must be fairly high. That's just one example of the many expensive things that can go wrong while working on it, things that the dealership would then be responsible for. They have to cover their own rear ends.
ChaoSS402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #879
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
$150?? You must be using over priced oil. Don't think I spent $1000 total for maintenance in 55K miles, unless you count the 20+ sets of tires I turned bald.
True, but I did say "less than $150". It does depend on what fluids you are using and which service you are doing. Plugs for an R1200 are stupid expensive compared to the 1100.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #880
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,112
Laugh

Warranty? WTF is that?

Thank you, purchasers of new bikes, for having them serviced by the book and eating the first few years' depreciation and then selling them to someone like me. I save thousands, and get a great but slightly out of fashion machine.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #881
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
Warranty? WTF is that?

Thank you, purchasers of new bikes, for having them serviced by the book and eating the first few years' depreciation and then selling them to someone like me. I save thousands, and get a great but slightly out of fashion machine.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #882
ChaoSS402
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
Warranty? WTF is that?

That really only applies to those who don't really ride their bikes that much....

Some of us will have a bike after a few years that is so used up you may not really want it any more.
ChaoSS402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #883
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyForNow View Post
Yeah. Especially when you buy a sportster XL 1200 Roadster in 2005 for $8400 and sell it in 2013 for $4800 to some midlife crisis case with 80K on it. Man, that was a stupid move. Those 8 years that I rode that bike for $38 a month really sucked. I'll never do that again.
So there's exceptions to generalities? Really?

I got a Wee with just over 22,000 miles for $3,200 (with a few scrapes from a low speed crash and $1,000 of accessories). That's also at one end of the spectrum.

In general, cars and bikes take a huge depreciation hit the day they leave the dealership. For some absurd reason Harley's don't take as much of a hit until you "invest" 30k into some lame ass OCC shit.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #884
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,761
I have found that to be less true than I would have thought. When shopping for autos I could purchase a new SuperDuty for the same or less than one a year or two old. Manufacturer incentives and the margins salespersons were working with made the new vehicle very close to the used price. People with used vehicles that are only a year or two old have to get a certain price due to their loan (payoff). What I've experienced is this amount is very close to the purchase price of a new vehicle because they are mostly paying interest the first year or two, not much to principal, so they owe a significant portion of the loan to principal. I found this to be the case when purchasing my wifes auto recently as well.

People talk about a huge depreciation hit by driving off the lot. My experience has been less than one hundred dollars for every month used for the first couple years. After that it starts going down faster until it levels out a bit. I find price is more related perceived life of the vehicle (i.e., mileage and then years). If you're buying used, it seems 5+ year old vehicles, but even 8+ years are the best "deal" based on mileage/perceived life of the vehicle.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #885
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Years ago I had a car that starting making a rattling sound in the clutch. It sounded like one or more of the springs in the clutch plate were loose or broken but still contained in their location. I know a clutch is a wear and tear item, but the springs in the clutch should last at least as long as the clutch lining. The car was two weeks away from the end of its power train warranty, so I went back to where I had bought the car and I mentioned to the service manager that I'm glad it happened now and not in three weeks. After explaining the issue to the service manager, he looked around on the computer and said whatever it turns it to be, it won't be covered under warranty. I asked why and was told that they had no record of my vehicle ever having any of its oil changes done at their shop.

I tore the top sheet off the top of his desktop calendar pad, flipped it over and handed him a pen from his pen jar, and said "Draw me a picture showing me how oil changes and a clutch are connected".

After some back tracking, the general manager came out and and said he would call the manufacturers warranty line and see what they had to say. He came back and said they would remove the transmission and the clutch, and see what the problem was. If it did in fact turn out to be the clutch springs had broken, they would split the bill with me. If it turned out to be something else, then I had to pay the bill on my own.

I walked out, went to another dealer, and had the service manager listen to the noise. "Yup, sounds like a broken spring. It's covered under warranty".

The second dealer did the work, and when I picked the car up they asked me how I liked the car, did I want to replace it, etc. given that I had had so many problems with the car. In 5 years, this had been the only issue so I was surprised. He showed me the report on my VIN number and it showed a dozen warranty claims against my VIN number, all from the original dealer where the car had been purchased. Turns out they had been submitting false warranty claims for years. They got caught for billing both the customer and the manufacturer on work they had performed under warranty as well.

It's getting harder to find a dealer you can trust, and when you do it takes a lot longer for that dealer to earn our trust.