Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #1006
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
In my experience working alongside them, the average car salesman wasn't all that great at high school - if they graduated at all.

So... yeah.
I dealt with the same salesman at the local Ford truck dealer for years, and he was OK. There's not much selling involved when you're doing a special order on A-plan, though.

Most motorcycle salesmen I've known are a bunch of Gypsies. Here today, gone tomorrow.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #1007
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post

Most motorcycle salesmen I've known are a bunch of Gypsies. Here today, gone tomorrow.
Believe it or not, more than one customer has said the same about the local car dealerships to me. When there is little money in it for the salesmen / saleswomen, they do tend to leave after honing their skills.

Truthfully, the dealerships - especially corporate ones - like this set-up. (Yes, yes, it sort of annoys customers, but then most dealerships are going this way so there is little option.) The less experienced salesmen expect or accept lower pay / commissions from the dealership, and money is everything to a dealership. (The term being used is that dealerships are developing "Green Pea" stores - stores with very little experienced sales forces.) My personal belief is that older, established dealerships that sell American cars probably treat their sales force in a better way.

With what I know of current Japanese cars sales, I have to imagine that Japanese motorcycle sales people have to make peanuts when averaged over the whole year - especially in the winter months in many states. For as bright and modern as most motorcycle dealership floors seem to be, the better business model would probably be if the owners of each dealership, themselves, would be the ones on the sales floor selling bikes (just like back in the old days of small, grungy motorcycle dealerships).

Back to my dealership - I've actually seen one pretty successful (and pretty, in general) sales woman switch to being a service writer - not sure what she's making now at her new sales job, but there's no doubt she's busy, and the service customers love her. She had to beg for about a year to get switched over to the job which has better hours, and possibly better pay (not sure about that last part).
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #1008
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,951
Quote:
She had to beg for about a year to get switched over to the job which has better hours, and possibly better pay (not sure about that last part).
Better hours for sure, with a MUCH higher stress level. Better pay? She must not have been that great at sales. The top sales people where I work often make 150% or better what I do, and I'm doing ok. But, 5:30 rolls around and I go home, I don't work Sundays (though I do work every fourth Saturday, like today ) and I'm not out there in the winter time, scraping snow off cars and jumpstarting them so I can go for a test drive.

I've done both.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #1009
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Better hours for sure, with a MUCH higher stress level. Better pay? She must not have been that great at sales. The top sales people where I work often make 150% or better what I do, and I'm doing ok. But, 5:30 rolls around and I go home, I don't work Sundays (though I do work every fourth Saturday, like today ) and I'm not out there in the winter time, scraping snow off cars and jumpstarting them so I can go for a test drive.

I've done both.
Doesn't seem that high in stress from my stand point.

People love our service department, and love working with her over there.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #1010
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Quote:

People love our service department, and love her over there.

updated it for you :)

The dealership I bought my bike at still has the same guy that sold me the bike. However he is the only one I recognize.

In the service department there is a guy that always remembers me (Something about coming in the middle of winter for a tire) and treats me great. Even remembers my bike... Granted it is a Versys so not too hard to forget.
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #1011
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
They sound like a dealership that deserves MY business and I'm 2000 miles away!
There is a dealership close to you that provides that level of service. Cycle Specialties in Taylors, SC (Greenville area). His experience is the same I had when I purchased a V-Strom from them. Here are the keys, have fun - we will worry about the details if you like the bike.
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #1012
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
There is a dealership close to you that provides that level of service. Cycle Specialties in Taylors, SC (Greenville area). His experience is the same I had when I purchased a V-Strom from them. Here are the keys, have fun - we will worry about the details if you like the bike.
While certainly closer than Idaho, that's still around 4 hours from here, but I am saving this for the next round of new bike lust. Thanks!

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #1013
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,951
Quote:
Ahh- must be in the motorcycle industry. I'm in automotive, and I can tell you this: Stay the hell out of the car business if you value your health and sanity.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #1014
shelion
Goddess of Fire

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Ahh- must be in the motorcycle industry. I'm in automotive, and I can tell you this: Stay the hell out of the car business if you value your health and sanity.

1911fan
Having been a service writer and a service manager at a Honda Powersports (everything but the cars, robots, and planes) dealership, I can attest that it can be a very stressful job. Not all year, it's definitely seasonal, but it ramps up significantly during the spring and summer.

I'd get the motorcycle riders that didn't ride all winter and waited until 4 days before a multi-state trip to call for service. Ditto the watercraft owners that didn't winterize their rig and would call on Thursday because they wanted to take it to the beach that weekend.

And in the motorcycle industry, there is no calling for parts and getting them delivered 2 hours later. If you don't have it in stock, it's at least a day, more likely 3. And that's all your fault, as the service person, because the customers can't understand why you can't make the impossible happen.

I don't miss that job at all.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #1015
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,822
Here is one I read today:

A guy had a newish Aprilia Dosroduro that would just shut down at speed for no reason. No computer codes or anything. It would always start right back up though, sometimes while still moving. After doing this at speed on the interstate, he had had enough and took it in for repairs.

The dealer, even after discussing the issues with Aprilia, could not figure it out. They offered him a good deal as a trade in for an Aprilia Tuono, and he took it.

How do you like that: a bike so computerized the dealer can't figure it out...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #1016
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,781
I think it's the Triumph that has similar stories here on Advrider.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #1017
CMF
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Having worked in dealerships, I'll give you an analogy: Suppose you walked into a diner with all of the fixin's for breakfast in a sack and asked them to cook your breakfast for you using them. Would you feel put out if they refused?

Like it or not, the shop usually covers the cost of opening the doors each day. It's up to sales to make a profit, and you bought over the internet instead of the dealer.

Now, there are independent places who will mount your tires for a fee. I have one nearby that charges 30 bucks if you bring the wheel to them, and it's cheaper if you buy the tire there.
Here's the thing, if that's true it's not true of all "dealerships". My brother worked at a Ford dealership for years and the shop made as much or more than the sales floor most months. Often through the use of shady or outright illegal practices like double billing (the owner plus warranty that they didn't inform the owner of). If I have any choice at all I avoid dealerships for this reason.

-CMF
CMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #1018
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Here is one I read today:

A guy had a newish Aprilia Dosroduro that would just shut down at speed for no reason. No computer codes or anything. It would always start right back up though, sometimes while still moving. After doing this at speed on the interstate, he had had enough and took it in for repairs.

The dealer, even after discussing the issues with Aprilia, could not figure it out. They offered him a good deal as a trade in for an Aprilia Tuono, and he took it.

How do you like that: a bike so computerized the dealer can't figure it out...
Most engine management systems work similarly. Sounds like either incompetent mechanics or a dealer just looking for another sale. Then they fixed it and put it up for sale.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #1019
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Most engine management systems work similarly. Sounds like either incompetent mechanics or a dealer just looking for another sale. Then they fixed it and put it up for sale.
Ducatis had/have similar problems, and they haven't really been solved. Nobody knows for sure. It could be the ECU, the traction control, or the immobilizer, which is built into the dash.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #1020
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,640
Sounds like an intermittent fault of some sort that for whatever reason doesnt throw a red flag into yhe log file. I can imagine that something like that would be horrible to diagnose and repair. Especially if it's being caused by a crappy part, so that one can expect it to happen again.

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote