Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #1111
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Just wondering why you wouldn't buy new again. Seems $4,750 is less than $5,000, likely with less maintenance on the new vehicle, better mileage, better safety and free $100 bills in the glovebox (ok, that last part is made up).
Is this a motorcycle forum or a cage forum?
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #1112
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
And who the fuck wants to drive a 10 year old car?
I wish I had a 10 year old car.

I don't know though. My 2002 jetta (11 years old if we're counting) is broke down with an electrical issue right now. The 1993 Lincoln and 1984 Chevy are going fine, currently both being driven my the girlfriend and I daily. The 89 ranger needs shocks and an alignment then it'll be back on the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #1113
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
A dealer salesman said I fit on a Tw200. I fit best on a KLR650. Bring a fellow rider, or someone to take a pic of you on the bike to see if you look like the circus bear riding the little bicycle.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #1114
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth650 View Post
A dealer salesman said I fit on a Tw200. I fit best on a KLR650. Bring a fellow rider, or someone to take a pic of you on the bike to see if you look like the circus bear riding the little bicycle.
He was trying to sell you a cheaper bike, that is a first...
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #1115
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,381
Quote:
It doesn't really matter how you look, it matters how it feels.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #1116
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Oddometer: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
It doesn't really matter how you look, it matters how it feels.
That's what I keep telling my girlfriend...
BgDadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #1117
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Think hes saying that HIS car is $4750 per 10 years. Not a new one.
Something like that.

Look at it logically: A new vehicle is the worst kind of investment you can ever make - because the more you invest, the more you lose. You have to REALLY want something that new car/truck has or does for you to make that kind of sacrifice.

I don't want or need anything a new car provides badly enough to spend that kind of money - but I appreciate all those who do because where else would my next bargain used car come from.

Bikes are similar but I really don't NEED a bike. I certainly don't NEED the collection I have. There is therefore no expectation of return on investment (or loss control) and the cost of wonership is less important. On that basis I buy with cash and I would ignore any depreciation, except every bike I own is probably worth as much or more as it was when I bought it - mainly due to time invested in improvements.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #1118
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,264
Quote:
91 Miata. Paid $1800 for it 5 years ago. About $1000 in required repairs and maintenance since then (tires, a radiator, timing belt kit, spark plugs, etc.) Looks like about $0.0756/mile, not counting resale value. If I parted it out, I'd make money on the thing...

And it gets 32mpg. Any car I replaced it with would have to be really cheap, and get really, really good mpg, to break even within a decade.

OTOH, given the way my retirement plan is blowing, buying a DeLorean and having it restored might be fun...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #1119
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,264
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
He was trying to sell you a cheaper bike, that is a first...
Probably more profit on the TW, especially if it was used.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #1120
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Because, as everyone knows, what matters is how you look on your bike.

Quote:
You got me...
I wasn't thinking about the keeping of it for 10 years.

Then.... of course you would have to take into account the cost of maintaining a 7-10 year old car which would likely make it much closer $ wise anyhow.
Me. I bought my truck dealer new in 1998. It's actually a 1997 model that sat for a year, so I got a killer deal on it. There's absolutely nothing that a new truck would do that this one wouldn't, and all of that burdensome maintenance (which there really isn't that much of) still costs far less than a new truck. I'll drive that truck until I die. It will probably be like George Washington's axe by the end (the head's been replaced twice and the handle four times) but the total lifecycle costs will still be way, way, way less than buying another new (or even used) vehicle every 5-10 years.

Saying that you should buy a new vehicle to avoid high maintenance costs is like all the people that traded in their big SUVs at a big loss to buy compact cars when gas prices started to go up. The very definition of false economy.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #1121
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
Because, as everyone knows, what matters is how you look on your bike.

Obviously you don't give a fuck how you look on your bike.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #1122
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
1994 Mazda pickup. Free when my Grandfather passed away. Still runs like a champ with 150k on it.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #1123
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
Obviously you don't give a fuck how you look on your bike.
Are you kidding? I look like a BOSS!
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #1124
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
91 Miata. Paid $1800 for it 5 years ago. About $1000 in required repairs and maintenance since then (tires, a radiator, timing belt kit, spark plugs, etc.) Looks like about $0.0756/mile, not counting resale value. If I parted it out, I'd make money on the thing...

And it gets 32mpg. Any car I replaced it with would have to be really cheap, and get really, really good mpg, to break even within a decade.

OTOH, given the way my retirement plan is blowing, buying a DeLorean and having it restored might be fun...
99 miata. Paid 7500 for it in 2004 and brutalized it for 100000 miles. Reverse 180s in parking lots, swinging the ass out in turns, drag racing, and even pressed it into pizza delivery at a real tough point in my life. Needed a clutch slave ~$60 and an alternator the entire time I owned it. Had all original suspension, rotors, water pump, etc etc when I sold it. Great car and I was sad to see it go, but it was time..

That's why I don't get the whole buy a year old and sell at five years. Modern cars are tough if you maintain them. Just IMO.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #1125
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post

Except you're ignoring the link Eakins provided showing the initial depreciation to be significantly less than what you're showing. Also, you're ignoring the fact the original owner in your example owned the vehicle for ten years and the second owner owned it for five. The second owner still needs to buy another vehicle for the other five years.

Your first example shows it cost that person $23k for ten years and the second example shows it cost that person $14k for five years. So, the second person has a cost of $14k every five years and the first person has a cost of $23k over ten years. Looks like the second person is losing an extra $5k over that ten year period. Not to mention you're using way too much depreciation of the two year old vehicle.

What your example really shows it is pays to buy a new vehicle and keep it at least ten years. Costs significantly less than buying a year or two old vehicle and keeping it for five years.

Edited to add: MacNoob beat me and probably explained it better. I also forgot the smiley.
Except that the numbers y'all are tossing about are incomplete. Buy a new car for 26k. Drive it until the warranty expires (5 years for our example.) Sell it for 13k. Cost you 13k to drive.

Same car, keep for 10 years. Sell for 3k. Costs you 23k, you're ahead, right? Depends on whether or not you had to spend more than 3k in out of warranty repairs.

This is just one example of how the numbers can vary. You have to consider all the costs: Purchase, financing, insurance, registration, maintenance, repairs, depreciation/resale value.

Total Cost of Ownership. It can be found from a variety of sources, Edmunds being a good one.
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote