Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #1201
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,860
One point I want to make out, is that for every one of these, I've tried to contact the GM of the Dealership. If we customers don't complain to the GM, they don't know they have socially inept troglodytes working for them. Sometimes the GM is just as big or bigger troglodyte, sometimes not. But I figure if I want a local business to be around to buy parts/accessories/bikes from, I have to do my part. Not just buy from them, but let them know when they screw up.[/QUOTE]

"Thank you,sweet Jesus, that I am in no way involved in motorcycle sales, and for all the pygmies in Africa, amen"

dogjaw screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 06:51 AM
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #1202
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie G View Post
I was ready to buy a DR650 the first of this year and was looking for a 2012, no real difference in 2013. I stopped at local dealer and they had a 2013, no 2012. Salesman told me they don't budge off sticker price and there was no point in making an offer below, he told me $6400 out the door. Said there were no 2012's left anywhere. I found a 2012 2 hours away, out of state, and the very nice GM told me $5100 plus fees. Ended up less than $5300 OTD...Got home, paid state tax and got tag for right at $5400 total. The out of state dealer was direct, friendly and very helpful. Too bad it's a 2 hour ride to his shop.

You did you homework and everything came out O.K.

Good.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #1203
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
That's harsh, and short sighted. I've been in the guys shoes. Sometimes its extremely difficult to find someone who wants to take your money, and it's extremely annoying when you end up being FORCED to deal with a dealership like this because there aren't any more. I'm fortunate I have a great BMW dealer, but I've had these same issues with vehicles. I have actually been ready to buy a very expensive vehicle and completely changed my mind on more than one occasion because I didn't want to deal with the dealership.

45 years of experience in sales will give you a different view, some buyers you don't need.

I have never found it difficult to spend money.

No one Forced you to deal with any dealer. I don't understand this?

Very expensive...well, that's subject to the buyer.

Spend your money where you want.

TrashCan screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 07:33 AM
Old 09-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #1204
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,838
Having dealt with 4 of the 5 dealers mentioned and purchased bikes from 3 of them, my experience was completely opposite.

Maybe perception and reaction might have something to do with it.

YMMV

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #1205
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
45 years of experience in sales will give you a different view, some buyers you don't need.

No one Forced you to deal with any dealer. I don't understand this?

Very expensive...well, that's subject to the buyer.

Spend your money where you want.
Lol. So is the point of your post only to prove how your right and im wrong with no real info to back it up?

You sre probably right that some buyers will never be happy. I get that. In the OPs case, he is simply trying to find a bike he likes and instead of getting helpful salesman he has either gotten no help at all or pushy salesman trying to steer him to something he knows he doesnt want.

In my cases, ive went to dealers with specific requirements of options (most recently debacle was a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2dr with manual trans and hard top). I was specific about a few options. I was under no time constraints and didnt try to pull some super BS money game. It was early in the season and it could have been ordered if one wasnt found on a lot. One dealer kept trying to steer me to another vehicle all together no matter how hard I tried. Another wouldnt do anything other than deal with what was on their lot. I really wanted to write a check for $35k (not exactly supercar money but a good chunk of money) but apathy and not listening to my requests drove me away. I ended up finding a dealer a few towns over who made a few calls and had my new Jeep within a few hours. Ive since bought 3 other jeeps from them. I guess im not a customer a dealership wants by your standards?

My favorite sales line of all when you walk into a dealership and know what you want and instead of taking a test drive and asking some dumb questions you just tell the salesman what you want and they respond with, "Heres my card. Call me when youre ready to buy." Uh, I thought I was?

oz97tj screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 01:41 PM
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #1206
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Quote:
Lol. So is the point of your post only to prove how your right and im wrong with no real info to back it up?

I was taking the words that you said in your post.
Did I get them wrong?

Maybe I misunderstood what you mean by being Forced to do business with a dealership.

Or was the word Forced just for dramatic effect?

TrashCan screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 02:20 PM
Old 09-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #1207
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,110
Quote:
I guess im not a customer a dealership wants by your standards?
Actually, there may be some substance to that.

Dealerships pay other dealerships for cars. Sometimes they pay a LOT more for trades than others, and sometimes the only deaelerships they work with are too far away (so a vehicle would need to be trucked in, which adds to the cost anway).

There are complexities to the business that I think most of us didn't realize back when we got into it.

You can get as mad as you want to about those other dealerships not really working with you, but back when I was a customer I saw the very same down here, and now that I'm in the business I see reasons why.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #1208
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I was taking the words that you said in your post.
Did I get them wrong?

Maybe I misunderstood what you mean by being Forced to do business with a dealership.

Or was the word Forced just for dramatic effect?
Sometimes you are forced when you want or need something and you dont have other choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Actually, there may be some substance to that.

Dealerships pay other dealerships for cars. Sometimes they pay a LOT more for trades than others, and sometimes the only deaelerships they work with are too far away (so a vehicle would need to be trucked in, which adds to the cost anway).

There are complexities to the business that I think most of us didn't realize back when we got into it.

You can get as mad as you want to about those other dealerships not really working with you, but back when I was a customer I saw the very same down here, and now that I'm in the business I see reasons why.
Maybe this is true. It doesnt matter though. In my case the dealer simply refused to look. He could have ordered one for me too. Again that option was denied even though the ordering process was open. Point is id gladly pay to have the vehicle I want.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #1209
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Entertaining thread, there are usually two sides to any story(or more) whenever dealing with another person.

Just remember, if a person is having problems every where he goes, the problem may be with him.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #1210
Random-Water
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
There are more buyers than sellers in the Motorcycle/Auto industry. That's why crappy dealerships and crappy sales people continue. That doesn't make it something to support/emulate or defend. They are in a SERVICE industry. The bikes they have are the same as the bikes at the next dealer...and the next, and the next. If they don't give the customer a satisfactory experience, they will vote will their wallet to another dealer. This thread is full of people stating exactly that. I guess we we are ALL customers you don't want.

Quote:
I'm glad YOU find it easy to spend money. PT Barnum has a saying about people like you.
Quote:
No one Forced you to deal with any dealer.
No one ever said they were FORCED to use any dealer.
Random-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #1211
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random-Water View Post

Yes they did.

Two post above yours.

Sometimes you are forced when you want or need something and you dont have other choices.

TrashCan screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 05:41 PM
Old 09-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #1212
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,104
Quote:
Yes they did.

Two post above yours.

They never teach you what a figure of speech was in sales courses?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #1213
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random-Water View Post

Originally Posted by TrashCan
Yes they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
They never teach you what a figure of speech was in sales courses?

Try to keep up, sport.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #1214
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes they did.

Try to keep up, sport.
It's funny you tell someone else to "keep up, sport" when you are the one who missed the whole point in the first place. The OP, who started this discussion and your ridiculous bantor, stated he went to all the dealers in his area and was still having troubles. Clearly, I don't know his area, but if he has exhausted all the dealers within a reasonable distance then he will be FORCED to buy from one of the shitty ones if he wants his new bike.

So please, try to follow with the discussion, ok princess.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #1215
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Quote:
It's funny you tell someone else to "keep up, sport" when you are the one who missed the whole point in the first place. The OP, who started this discussion and your ridiculous bantor, stated he went to all the dealers in his area and was still having troubles. Clearly, I don't know his area, but if he has exhausted all the dealers within a reasonable distance then he will be FORCED to buy from one of the shitty ones if he wants his new bike.

So please, try to follow with the discussion, ok princess.

Wow...

I feel sorry for the dealer that sold you the bike.

your ridiculous bantor,

.http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1198

The OP never said he was FORCED to do anything.

The word FORCED came from you.

princess...that's cute, thanks.

TrashCan screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 11:46 PM