Old 09-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #1216
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post

The word FORCED came from you.

princess...that's cute, thanks.
Yes, "forced" did come from me. I was making a simple point. Can we move on now?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:01 AM   #1217
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
"we have to charge freight that bike came all the way from japan"

oh really? since when is china....japan?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #1218
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random-Water View Post
... socially inept troglodytes...
I might've lost count, but you had bad experiences with the "socially inept troglodytes" at SIX different dealerships?
davidbeinct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #1219
benno.h
cageracer

Oddometer: 437
This thread warms the cockles of my heart. I fucking hate dealerships with a passion.

I bought a VW Golf as a graduation present to myself several years ago, and it got written off in some floods a few months later. I borrowed my old mans VW Kombi (1974 vintage, several different shades of baby shit brown, lifted, bit tyres etc...) to drive around and find myself a new car. Every dealer was like some kind of nuclear waste land, devoid of human life and interaction...

Eventually, I got another Golf. Pretty soon it developed a warranty issue, and being the curious guy I am, plugged in a borrowed scan tool, googled the error codes and a diagnosis was made. Excellent! I called the dealership, hoping they could order the required part in, so that they could fit it and I could get my car back sooner. Nope, can't do that. Fair enough I guess, can't just order a part because some anonymous muppet on the phone thinks it might be the problem. I didn't even get to talk to someone who knows anything about cars though - just some idiot that does service bookings.

Drop the car off, 3 days later they call me up and say "don't know what's wrong with your car but we've reset the error codes so you should be ok" - WTF? Fucking retards!

I spoke to the service manager and told him what the problem was. "You can't believe everything you read on the internet" is exactly what he told me. The data came from ErWin, VW's own technical online manual - he'd never heard of it. I quoted him the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin, an official VW document) number - he didn't know what a TSB was.

Eventually he called HQ in freaking Sydney (I live in Brisbane, about 1000km away) and got things sorted on my second visit. He apologised to me, said it was embarrassing that a customer had to diagnose his own car (yes arsehole, it is), and offered me a job.

Because he made it somewhat right, and had a reasonably good attitude, I gave them another chance and it went ok.

Then, on my third visit they did some more warranty work (new injectors) and the car didn't run right afterwards. I took it back and they called me a day later saying it needed a new turbo and that I would have to pay. No I fucking won't, it is very clearly related to something you've just done. Lots of arguing back and forth. I asked exactly what the error codes are - "Sorry that's copywright VW information and we can't give it to you"
- Firstly, c*ntface, that's not what copywright means
- Secondly, you fucking incompetent five thumbed fuck knuckled deadshit, they're generic OBD II codes (related to boost pressures as it turns out) and not proprietary VW information
- Thirdly, IT'S MY FUCKING CAR AND I WANT TO KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT!!!!!!

I took my car, still running poorly, got it home and opened the bonnet (hood, to you Yanks) - the 'tard replacing the injectors had put a kink in a boost reference line. 5 second unkinking and the car runs fine. New turbo my arse!

(Well, that turned into an epic post)

Here's another one: drinking at my mates place last week and talking shit with his roomie, a mechanic for a Landrover/Range Rover dealership.

He mentioned the centre diff in my mates Hilux (Tacoma, in the US) - I told him it didn't have a centre diff, it was a part time selectable 4WD. He argued black and blue that it did in fact have a centre diff, and broke out the "mate, I'm a 4WD mechanic, I know these things"
Me: "yeah, but I know you're wrong"

And he fucking was. Muppet.
I'll step out on a limb here and state that bikes without kick starters are just plain gay, for pansies, ladyboys, and suchlike. Furthermore, they should have to ride at the back, not speak until spoken too, and set everyone else's tents up, then cook and wash up afterwards, before sitting up all night guarding the real men's bikes.
benno.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:28 AM   #1220
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,955
Quote:
Looking for a new ADV bike. My Saga. Some names/dates/places have been changed to protect the guilty

KTM dealer in Zarina Zel Zey. They have a 1190 Adventure R listed for sale, and even claim it's used on cycle troller(cycle trader)? I walk in and of course no 1190's. I was in the area and didn't want to risk that maybe they DID have some kind of early demo unit. Sales guy there seems to know his stuff, but keeps trying to steer me to one of their 990 Baja's. I explain that I've ridden the 1190 ADV and ADV R both extensively and not really interested in the 990 as I have no seat time on them, unless he's going to allow me to rent one for a weekend. Of course he won't. he won't even let me take one for a test ride. Ok, I give him my contact info and ask him to give me a call when a 1190 R comes in. He calls 72 hours later, telling me he found me one of those "rare" Baja edition 990's and did I want to come down and look at it. I explain that I saw the bike...on his floor, and not interested...I'm the guy who has ridden the 1190's and wants and 1190...remember? Uh, no. I would have sworn you wanted the 990 Baja. No I rehash the entire conversation with the guy...he remembers zip. He once again promises to contact me when he has 1190 info. Following Saturday, I get a call at 9:02am Wakes me up. It's 50 first dates sales person again, telling me about he 'rare" Baja 990 I've been looking for is in. I'm NEVER happy when you wake me up. Doubley so when it's one of the few days I get to sleep in. quadruple that when it's Mr 50 first dates trying to sell me a bike I'm not interested in. I tell him to go pound sand into his hindmost orifice and block his # from my cell.

KTM Dealer in Zinglewood. They won't even talk to me about the 1190 as they don't have one and don't know when they are going to get one. Claim to know nothing about it, pricing, options, etc. I ask if they will contact me when they know more, and sale guy said, no, probably won't. We're only going to get maybe 5 of them and I'm sure we'll have no problem selling them.

Large multi-brand dealer in Zorona(near work). There are no ADV bikes on floor but KLR's and DR-Z. I ask him about Stroms or Versys? He says he thinks he has one strom in a crate, he's not sure color/options, but give him 5 and he'll check get back to me, he pulls a DB Cooper and heads out a door at the rear of the showroom. I wander over to the apparel department, try on helmets, play with gloves/jackets etc... Next thing I know 20 min has gone by and sales guy never came back. I walk back to the sales floor (they are adjacent and you can see from one side to the other. DB Cooper is no where to be found, in fact the entire sales floor is 100% empty of staff. I ask Parts Counter guys to try to locate SOMEONE/ANYONE in sales, and that I'll be on the floor. So I go kick the tires on some DZ's and KLRs... another 15 min goes by. Several other people have walked into the sales floor, there's now 5 of us waiting. A Prospective buyer comes up to me on the KLR and we start talking about 2 wheeled rides. he's also looking for a ADV bike and was hoping to see a S10 or 1000 Strom/Versys. I told him about my experience with the S10, and also passed along what DB Cooper said about a mythical bike in a crate, but no info on options/colors. We BS for awhile and exchange phone/email data hoping to ride together in the future. Another 10min has gone by now, and DB Cooper has not come back. NOT A SINGLE SALE PERSON Has visited the floor. I leave. I text the guy later that day and ask if he ever got to see the mythical bike. He said no. He waited 30 min and left without anyone EVER coming to the sales floor. He had sales paged 4-5 times from the parts counter, we laughed that DB Cooper was SO accurate. Parts guys tried to cover the sales floor/answer questions but couldn't do much. Next day I called the dealer and got the GM's name. Left him 2 messages over 5 business days, never got a call back. If the dealership is that badly run and I can't get a call back, why bother to spend any more energy to complain. Then again 75% of their sales floor is Watercraft/Side-sides/4-wheelers. Maybe they are just getting out of the MC business.

Local Zorrance Triumph dealer. They have no Explorer 1200's, but 2 EXP/XC 800s. Ok, I'll look. Wait, what's this? New 2011 800 XC...$13,5xx Right next to, NEW 2013 800 XC....$13,5xx WTF???? I really want to talk to sales guy figuring I can get the 2011 for a good deal. Only sales guy on floor is on phone. After 20 minutes, I give my name and Phone # to receptionist tell her I'm interested in the XC 800's and ask SOMEONE from sales to give me a call. They NEVER give me a call back. I call back following Monday, still dreaming of getting that 2011 for a good deal. and sales guy is on phone. I'm directed to his VM and I leave message. No call back. I call back about a week later, ask for GM. Get GM's name/email. Leave GM VM and send GM email. Again, never got a call back. About a week later I get a "form" letter from GM's email address thanking me for my business. huh?

Head to nearest BMW shop (Zong Zeach). I'm accosted walking in the door, I'm maybe 3 feet inside the door. Sales guy jumps on me and and asks "What are YOU here for?" It was either said it like he knew me and "WTF was I doing @ a BMW dealership", or WTF what I doing in LB when I should have been in Timbuku/anywhere else on the planet but THERE. I said I'm here to look at GS's. Either a 14 800GSA or a 13 1200GSW. Without asking me about what kind of riding I do, or where, or my history, He proceeds to tell me that I don't want a GSW they are overweight pigs and the LC is just a "gimmick", they are still air cooled outdated bikes, and that what I really want is 800GSA, but they don't have any. Won't have any for a few months, NO ONE has them yet, but they are GREAT bikes and they are just perfect for me, he'd be happy to put my name on a waiting list if I put down a deposit. This guy is fricking psychic. Not only does he know what I want, he knows what bike is perfect for me. This entire exchange took maybe 30 seconds. I told the guy he was an asshat, and walked out. I called the GM that day, left him a message. He called me back and we discussed the sales guy. He didn't seem so concerned about an offended customer, choosing to defend/back his sales guy. He claimed the new 2014 GSA800 is just that awesome and that I must have "misinterpreted" what the Sales guy said about the GSW. Oh well, I tried.

BMW dealer #2 in Zrange. This dealer came with a personal recommendation from a co-worker. I work with sales guy over the phone. We settle on a bike they have in stock/Price. I put down $100 refundable deposit to hold it. We then complete finance/credit/etc all via interwebz/fax/email (or so I thought). I show up at dealer at scheduled day/time. Sales guy is busy. I wait. He's finally free after 25 minutes (Why did we do an appt?). I sit at desk and he's go nothing. No paperwork, no keys. Nothing. He then makes me wait another 20min while he gathers everything. We then sit down to 100% BLANK paperwork. HUH? He then starts telling long winded stories about his BMW history, BMW's history, the History of the GS line, the epic model launch rides he's been on..etc...etc..etc.. It took2 hours for ADD sales guy to fill out an occasional form box in between stories. I'm finally about to leave the dealership...and I realize we never went over engine break in, so I ask him. He says, and I quote. "just read the owners manual, and don't lug the engine". Wait, I'm in full gear, helmet on, in your parking lot with the bike idling, about to embark on a 40 mile ride home. I just gave you $$,$$$ Throw me a F-ing bone here...oh wait you did, "RTFM" and "don't lug the engine". Gee thanks. Now THAT's what I call customer service after the sale.

One point I want to make out, is that for every one of these, I've tried to contact the GM of the Dealership. If we customers don't complain to the GM, they don't know they have socially inept troglodytes working for them. Sometimes the GM is just as big or bigger troglodyte, sometimes not. But I figure if I want a local business to be around to buy parts/accessories/bikes from, I have to do my part. Not just buy from them, but let them know when they screw up.
Quote:
There's a ton I left out of my interaction with that sales person. The bike was supposed to be ready to go, the entire transaction/paperwork should have taken less then 30 minutes since he had ALL the information he needed to fill it out. Included in the "after the sale" customer service, after everything was signed, sales person abandoned me for a fresh prospect. I was polite and waited for 15 minutes...in full gear, in the showroom, waiting for bike to be moved out to the parking lot. It wasn't until I started to push the bike out of the showroom myself that he came back to me and "offered" to help extract the bike from the showroom floor.

I have had 3 other people who bought bikes from this dealer all agree to avoid this sales person. I asked each if they ever complained to the GM, all said no. I advised them to do so. If we don't tell the GM how the parts/service/sales people are screwing up the experience, how are they ever going to get better?
I also contact the GM when someone does something good, so that they also know when things are done right and people get rewarded or at least acknowledged. This ain't my first rodeo.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #1221
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
There's a ton I left out of my interaction with that sales person. The bike was supposed to be ready to go, the entire transaction/paperwork should have taken less then 30 minutes since he had ALL the information he needed to fill it out. Included in the "after the sale" customer service, after everything was signed, sales person abandoned me for a fresh prospect. .
I bought a new 2013 FJR on 9/14. I had emailed back and forth with the sales guy on Thu-Fri about the bike. Called their finance guy Fri afternoon, to do the finance stuff over the phone (dealership is 150 miles away). Finance guy took all my info and said he'd call me back shortly. MAYBE 30 minutes later he calls back says I'm approved, when do you want to come in? I said I'll see you guys tomorrow around 11am. Since I couldn't find anyone to take me I had to drive the ruck up to haul the bike back. I got there at 1045. The bike was sitting at the front door ready to go. Walk in and there's 3 people behind the counter. One asks, Can I help you? I ask for the salesman I'd emailed and he was one of the 3 there. I introduced myself. He said come on back, we've got everything ready. Finance guy greats me and already has all the paperwork ready all it needs is my signatures. Takes 15 minutes max and they are going over the bike with me and then helping me load it on the truck. Got a couple of free t-shirts and other swag and am told I can get 15% of any gear or accessories if I need any. From the time I arrived till I left was about 45 minutes.

VERY NICE people to deal with and I would have no qualms at all buying from them again or recommending them to someone.

Seemed to be a family business. Finance guy was also Owner, salesman was his son. And I think the parts lady was related.

Anyone looking for a Yamaha or Suzuki, check out Crossroads Yamaha/Suzuki in Ablemarle NC.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."

Wlfman screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 05:39 AM
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #1222
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,320
Quote:
?

Why did you quote these without making a comment about them?

--------------

Anyway, something that people just aren't getting here...

GM's only care if the salesman got you in the door, and if the salesman made the sale. Period. Complaining to a GM after you were stupid enough to ride off with a bike, instead of giving the sale to a salesman you deemed worthy, exacerbates every problem you think you're solving by buying and only then complaining about the salesman.

People wonder why they get the salesmen they get - it's because they are getting the salesmen decades of buyers just like you have cultured.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 06:09 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #1223
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
?

Why did you quote these without making a comment about them?

--------------

Anyway, something that people just aren't getting here...

GM's only care if the salesman got you in the door, and if the salesman made the sale. Period. Complaining to a GM after you were stupid enough to ride off with a bike, instead of giving the sale to a salesman you deemed worthy, exacerbates every problem you think you're solving by buying and only then complaining about the salesman.

People wonder why they get the salesmen they get - it's because they are getting the salesmen decades of buyers just like you have cultured.

I just really felt this should be preserved.
There are parts that would a make great sig line .

Old 09-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #1224
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
I bought a new 2013 FJR on 9/14. I had emailed back and forth with the sales guy on Thu-Fri about the bike. Called their finance guy Fri afternoon, to do the finance stuff over the phone (dealership is 150 miles away). Finance guy took all my info and said he'd call me back shortly. MAYBE 30 minutes later he calls back says I'm approved, when do you want to come in? I said I'll see you guys tomorrow around 11am. Since I couldn't find anyone to take me I had to drive the ruck up to haul the bike back. I got there at 1045. The bike was sitting at the front door ready to go. Walk in and there's 3 people behind the counter. One asks, Can I help you? I ask for the salesman I'd emailed and he was one of the 3 there. I introduced myself. He said come on back, we've got everything ready. Finance guy greats me and already has all the paperwork ready all it needs is my signatures. Takes 15 minutes max and they are going over the bike with me and then helping me load it on the truck. Got a couple of free t-shirts and other swag and am told I can get 15% of any gear or accessories if I need any. From the time I arrived till I left was about 45 minutes.

VERY NICE people to deal with and I would have no qualms at all buying from them again or recommending them to someone.

Seemed to be a family business. Finance guy was also Owner, salesman was his son. And I think the parts lady was related.

Anyone looking for a Yamaha or Suzuki, check out Crossroads Yamaha/Suzuki in Ablemarle NC.
That's how it is done!
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #1225
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,418
Quote:
Wow...

I feel sorry for the dealer that sold you the bike.
One wonders. I recently bought a Husky Stradda at the Long Beach BMW dealer referenced. I talked to both sales people there. Both are nice and competent. The GM took me on a tour of their service area ( it is nice). The OP must give off some negative vibes is all I can think of. When every dealer ignores you, maybe look to yourself for the problem. Possible hygiene issues?

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #1226
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by benno.h View Post
T
I spoke to the service manager and told him what the problem was. "You can't believe everything you read on the internet" is exactly what he told me.
Yeah, you can't believe everything but after 50 or so folks experience the "exact" same problem then maybe its not an internet legend.
I've heard the same dumb ass remark from an ignorant service manager about very well documented issue(on the internet) on four different "brand specific" forums. The company said there was no such issue.

Quote:
Are you one of those types who think their company or their mouth breathing employee's "never" makes mistakes? Got news for ya. Happens all the time.

I once had a local guy tell me my transmission was going out. Took it to a transmission guru, he hooked it to a scanner and diagnosed as the computer going bad. $200 later for a new computer verses $2000+++++ for a new tranny.
Some folks would have let the first guy replace the transmission without question. After all, he IS a mechanic with a business! If I hadn't know about the transmission guy I may have let him replace it too. I would hope my mechanic would have made good on it but most business's sure as hell wouldn't eat the cost of their misdiagnosis. They'd be out on the street in no time.
All that is required for a business to display the ASE certification"plaque" is to have "one" employee certified. The others can be right off the street with zero experience . But they'll never make any mistakes will they?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #1227
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

Are you one of those types who think their company or their mouth breathing employee's "never" makes mistakes? Got news for ya. Happens all the time.

Why did it upset you that I saved the post?

Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #1228
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
In September of 2012 I saw on cycletrader a new leftover KLR 650 listed for 4,900 bucks at this place Island Powersports in Massapequa long island.

Now I've been calling around all in my area and the closest KLR was 45 minute away in red(didn't want red) and they wanted 7,200 out the door after fees and taxes.

So I fill out the loan app and leave a message with island powersports. They call me back and tell me the 2011 is no longer there, but they can sell me a blue 2012 for just 5,200 bucks.

So they started with a nice old fashion bait and switch. Still a better deal than I could find so I bit.

Talking with the finance guy he quoted me at a 3% apr loan with 3k down.

I show up with my buddy and his Tacoma to haul it back.

I check out the bike, it's beautiful. I talk to the sales guy and he ends up ringing me up for a total of 6,500 out the door with taxes, license fees, NY temp tag, PA plate etc. It's still 700 cheaper than the bike I don't want.

Then they bring me in the finance room and quote me at a 9% APR. Now I kinda flip out in a calm and logical way and got myself a free tank bag. I paid the bike off in 8 months, so the APR didn't hurt me too much.

My problem was they knew I was coming from PA and I had no leverage as far as negotiations go as I had just driven 3 hours with a truck to haul the bike.

Bait and switch, 1,300 dollars in "fees" and lying about APR to get me to come in. That's Long Island Powersports. Still cheaper than getting a new one locally.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #1229
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan

Why did it upset you that I saved the post?
Didn't upset me. Just trying to jog your brain. Remember you said it yourself..
Quote:
there are usually two sides to any story(or more) whenever dealing with another person.
Yes, there are. Too bad some don't comprehend or believe the "other" sides story. Must be from 45 years of being on one side of the issue.
I can't tell you how many folks I've heard say the service manager was incompetent, ignorant of the brand he serviced and told people they didn't know what they were talking about regarding well documented issues(on the net) they were having.
But its not their fault right?

Quote:
45 years of experience in sales will give you a different view, some buyers you don't need.
So will 45 years of dealing with ignorant sales and service people.

See how easily the shoe fits the other foot?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #1230
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Didn't upset me. Just trying to jog your brain. Remember you said it yourself..

Yes, there are. Too bad some don't comprehend or believe the "other" sides story. Must be from 45 years of being on one side of the issue.
I can't tell you how many folks I've heard say the service manager was incompetent, ignorant of the brand he serviced and told people they didn't know what they were talking about regarding well documented issues(on the net) they were having.
But its not their fault right?

So will 45 years of dealing with ignorant sales and service people.

See how easily the shoe fits the other foot?

Too funny.

Edit to answer your question.

TrashCan screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 10:24 AM