Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #1261
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by go4mini View Post
I disagree, as will most of my customers. We have a small, family owned/run auto parts business. We constantly hear from our customers, how nice is is to deal with someone who is polite (please, thank you, etc.), knowledgable about our business, and tries to help our customers any way we can. We have customers who travel some distance, to deal with us, bypassing the big chain stores. We are not always the cheapest, but when you give good, friendly service, it makes a difference.
Eh Eh....I go a heck of a long way sometimes to buy parts & supplies at such a store. I make sure I talk to the old guy, he is a bit gruff at first but that's fine he sure knows his stuff and we always share some laughs/smiles.Last time was over "Prussian Blue"....

The last two GM service managers I talked to over something, dad would have fired them so fast. I sure had one of them red in the face after he talked to me as if I was some dummy over my failing brakes, took only a few words to explain my own background in a GM family business, then he turned red from shame.

They don't have to be uber-polite with me as long as they know what they are talking about, I never feel like it should be my job to educate them. Snotty kid with the mouse at 07.00pm ??? Where the f.. is the paper catalogue so I can walk out of here with that "universal" muffler. I know for sure you stock them or something close enough that I can go home and install it quick tonight and go to work tomorrow early.Look under the counter just to see if the catalogue is there....it was.I looked up that muffler and gave him the part number.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #1262
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,956
So for the past month or so I've been shopping for a new pickup. 3/4-ton gas engine, ext. cab, short bed, 4x4.
Pretty specific list of requirements, but it's not like that's an uncommon configuration.

About 10 years ago GM/Chevy put a Vortec 8.1L engine and Allison transmission in their 3/4-ton pickups. Big-ass gas motor, perfect for hauling with. I believe 07 was the last year of them. Not "new", but not exactly vintage either.

Went to a GM dealer in town yesterday, about 10 minutes from my house. Parked my bike, walked in, receptionist greeted me and I asked to speak to a used truck salesman. ()

Friendly lady meets me at the desk, we go back to her office.
"Hi, i'm Mule, and I'm shopping for a used truck. Looking for a 5-8 year old 3/4-ton gas pickup, extended cab, short bed, 4x4. Been a Dodge guy most of my life, but some of the GM's have piqued my interest. What do you have?"
"Is there anything specific you were looking at?"
"The 8.1L Vortec's have caught my eye."
"You mean 6 liter?"
"No, I mean 8.1 liter. Vortec 8100's. 3/4-ton truck, 02-05ish, Allison trans.... 8.1."
"GM doesn't make those."
"You're telling me GM never made an 8.1 liter gas engine?"
"I've been here 6 years and I've never heard of it. Let me go ask another salesman."
"Nope, the biggest they made is a 6.2 liter."

"Do a google search for '8.1 GM' and learn something new. I think I'm done here."

At which point I grabbed my helmet and walked out of that place laughing.

Stopped at another dealer, and as we're browsing their inventory for 8.1's I told the salesman there about the previous dealer. He laughed, and asked "Alpine?" "Yep, that'd be the one." I guess they're known in the area for being a truly awful dealer.

And the 8.1 I test drove later that day must have been a 6.2 liter.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #1263
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 139
I have a few experiences to add to the thread. When I went shopping for my DR650 I wasn't concerned about the year as they are all the same since 1996. I was interested in last year's model, a 2011 at the time. Advertisements were everywhere for a discounted 2011 model. I would call and heard almost every time, "it is right here, I am looking at it". I would drive to the dealer only to find that they didn't have it. "It just got sold, but we have..." fill in the blank for whatever they were pushing. A month later and the same ads were still being run for last years model. For kicks I called and was told the same thing. That infuriated me and I took note of which dealers not to ever do business with.

I went to our local Suzuki dealer here in Brooksville specifically looking for a DR650. Several coworkers own the DrZ400, so I am familiar with that bike as well. I am a bigger guy and had plans to use it more on the highway. Anyhow, in I walk to be greeted by a salesman who was pushing the DrZ400 that he had on the floor. No matter how many times I told him I wasn't interested in the DrZ and that if he didn't have a DR650 I wanted him to look for me and order it, he would not. He kept pushing the DrZ400. It came down to me wanting a little more power and torque. One guy at work is as heavy as me and has to "shift" a little more often to keep up with everyone else and wind out his RPM's on his DrZ. This salesman then went on about how he used to own one in motard configuration and it made more horsepower than the DR650. I cornered him on that and he finally admitted it took a lot of engine mods to do it. I left.

A few weeks later I went to Love Motorsports in Homossassa. They didn't have it either, but were willing to have it shipped in for a reasonable price. They were honest even to the point of telling me they didn't know answers to certain questions I had. That is cool with me. If you don't know, say so instead of lying. I bought from them.

Eventually I broke things and needed parts. I figured I would go back to the Brooksville Suzuki Dealer (not quite their name by the way) and get parts as they are the closest to me. They are a Suzuki dealer and the DR650 is a common bike unchanged for sixteen years so there are a lot of them out there, right? They could only order the parts I needed. I can do that from the comfort of my own home and it does not require a second trip to go back to get the part. I went down the road to my now favorite motorcycle shop, Motorcycle Enthusiast of Spring Hill, Florida. Not only did they have the part in stock, they had it at one fourth of the price that Suzuki wanted. Here's the kicker, they are a KTM and Triumph dealer. When I have a need for a part I have made phone calls to check to see if any of the Suzuki dealers have the parts I need and without fail they do not. "We can order it for you" is what I always hear. Motorcycle Enthusiast has ALWAYS had my part in stock and for cheaper. It is a family owned business and not a chain. When I am ready to move up to a bigger bike, it will likely be a bike from them.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #1264
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,460
Quote:
A few weeks later I went to Love Motorsports in Homossassa...They were honest even to the point of telling me they didn't know answers to certain questions I had. That is cool with me. If you don't know, say so instead of lying. I bought from them.
My new hero is the person who says "I don't know but I will find out".

Unsure if it's the internet or what, but in recent years everybody's an expert.

I find a lot of people don't know that the reason it is so dark is that their head is entirely up their ass.

IMO, of course.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #1265
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
My new hero is the person who says "I don't know but I will find out".

Unsure if it's the internet or what, but in recent years everybody's an expert.

I find a lot of people don't know that the reason it is so dark is that their head is entirely up their ass.

IMO, of course.
I have spent my entire career in sales ( not motorcycles or cars) and that has always been my mantra and when I owned my own sales agency I preached that to my reps. If you don't know, say so and then tell your customer that you will find out and get back to them. Then just do it!!

It is a little harder to gain a customers confidence but really easy to destroy it.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #1266
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Then just do it!!

That is my biggest gripe with any place you call, any type of business.

Employee: "I don't have that information but give me your number and we'll call right back."

They never do...It seems most business' figure if you want the item bad enough you'll call them back. Here is what I think of that...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #1267
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
"You mean 6 liter?"
"No, I mean 8.1 liter. Vortec 8100's. 3/4-ton truck, 02-05ish, Allison trans.... 8.1."
"GM doesn't make those."
"You're telling me GM never made an 8.1 liter gas engine?"
"I've been here 6 years and I've never heard of it. Let me go ask another salesman."
"Nope, the biggest they made is a 6.2 liter."

"Do a google search for '8.1 GM' and learn something new. I think I'm done here."
]
She even missed the legendary 7.4! The 454 was possibly the industry-standard construction truck motor for the 80's and the 90's. It's one thing to miss a motor only made for a few years (still totally inexcusable considering the noteworthy nature of it being the biggest motor they ever made)
But it's another entirely to ignore the motor that gm is best known for, after the 350. Unbelievable.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #1268
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
This past summer I went to New Zealand for vacation. I stopped in at the HD dealer in Auckland for a few shirts. They were closed, but let me come in and buy anyway. (two shirts, $100)
That's fifty dollas for a T-shirt!

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:53 AM   #1269
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
He had to pop some tags!
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #1270
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
He had to pop some tags!
"Trying to get girls from a brand? / Man you hella won’t, man you hella won't"

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #1271
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
He didn't say T-Shirts. They could be buttoned dress shirts...
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-striped-shirt

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #1272
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
He didn't say T-Shirts. They could be buttoned dress shirts...
I think you missed the joke.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #1273
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
This might help:

http://youtu.be/QK8mJJJvaes
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #1274
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Wait, maybe you missed the joke...
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #1275
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
It's on you fool....you are the joke! But then again, you already knew that, didn't you?
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote