User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 AM   #1
Mattsplat OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Riding an Enfield over The Rhotang.

Hi everyone, its been too long since my last big adventure and the SWMBO has given me permission to bugger off for a month on another jolly

This time, the plan is to fly to Dehli, make my way up to Manali in the Himachal Pradesh and hire an Enfield for 3 weeks to do the Manali-Leh-Manali circuit.
I plan to make it more difficult by not riding directly from Manali to the Rhotang and Leh but to turn left at Keylong and head through the Himalaya's to Udaipur then Kistwar-Srinagar-Leh-Manali.

My questions are...
1. Are foriegners allowed to enter the Jammu and Kashmir region on the Keylong-Udaipur-Kistwar road?
2. I plan on travelling in mid-September, am I still in the monsoon season or have I just missed it?
3. Has anyone here hired Enfields in Manali before and has any recommendations?
4. Has anyone travelled this region and has any advice for me?

Many thanks,
Matt

Mattsplat screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 04:06 AM Reason: Woops, wrong section. Have reposted in the correct section, this post can be deleted!
Mattsplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
1. So you're going to start going up into the nice and pretty areas of Keylong only to ditch them for the dustbowl heading West? Why? That is a strange way to do the Srinigar-Leh loop.

But yeah, you can do this. Basically, you have to worry about permits only when you start getting close to borders. This includes Rajistan border roads too.

2. Your dates are fine. Once you get into the mountains, none of this matters anyway. They are mostly high altitude deserts and even during monsoon season there is very little rain.

The change is very dramatic. On one side of Rhotang pass, you have a dusty atmosphere with little vegetation, rocky ground. Then you cross Rhotang pass and it's super green, moist, rainy, and wet.

3. My recommendation is to not hire a junk bike like an Enfield unless you are enamored with it and the history (or plan to get the expensive EFI $5000 model which is very good but hard to find). I've seen plenty of them broken down on the side of the road, and it was the end of the ride for several people, or causing them days of delays and lost fun.

Bikes are cheap in India. Get something decent like Pulsar 220. Super cheap and a hundred times better than some junker Enfield.

4. Go to BCMtouring forum and read. It's a great resource. They have a good JPG map that has all the great roads highlighted in the region.

My advice would be to spend as much time between Srinigar and Keylong as possible. So get there/get back quick to maximize your time there.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #3
Mattsplat OP
n00b

1. So you're going to start going up into the nice and pretty areas of Keylong only to ditch them for the dustbowl heading West? Why? That is a strange way to do the Srinigar-Leh loop.

The reason for 'doing the loop' backwards is to hopefully avoid AMS.

But yeah, you can do this. Basically, you have to worry about permits only when you start getting close to borders. This includes Rajistan border roads too.

2. Your dates are fine. Once you get into the mountains, none of this matters anyway. They are mostly high altitude deserts and even during monsoon season there is very little rain.

Thank you, just as I thought..

The change is very dramatic. On one side of Rhotang pass, you have a dusty atmosphere with little vegetation, rocky ground. Then you cross Rhotang pass and it's super green, moist, rainy, and wet.

3. My recommendation is to not hire a junk bike like an Enfield unless you are enamored with it and the history (or plan to get the expensive EFI $5000 model which is very good but hard to find). I've seen plenty of them broken down on the side of the road, and it was the end of the ride for several people, or causing them days of delays and lost fun.

Yes, I am fairly enamoured with getting an Enfield, been looking at Enfield 'machismo's' for the journey but I wont know what I will be hiring for sure till I 'actually' see the bike...

Bikes are cheap in India. Get something decent like Pulsar 220. Super cheap and a hundred times better than some junker Enfield.

Like I said above, I am wanting an Enfield but everythingis flexible till I see the bike!

4. Go to BCMtouring forum and read. It's a great resource. They have a good JPG map that has all the great roads highlighted in the region.

Im already on BCM, fantastic resource!

My advice would be to spend as much time between Srinigar and Keylong as possible. So get there/get back quick to maximize your time there.

Thats the plan, spend as much time possible in between Keylong and Srinagar, then plod up to Leh and get my inner line permits to see lakdah etc...
Old 08-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #4
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,430
no pics?

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
Mattsplat OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
no pics?
Not yet, this trip is for 2013.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
Aargee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
So you're coming back in 2013 Matt? I guess you know where to head for the route queries ;)
Aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 513
This thread has some good info:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649091
Good luck with your trip.

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote