User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Describe your perfect scooter.

If you had the $$$ to design your perfect scooter what would it be like?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
HammerMacGreed
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,443
Vespa GTV300, but with an ATK 700 Intimdator engine

http://www.atkusa.com/atk/%28S%28g2u...TK700620cc.pdf

HammerMacGreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
250cc / 12" wheels for 110/120 tyres / foot pegs for standing / 200mm 8" ground clearance/
longish travel suspention / high ex pipe / high air intake / single seat with good size rack...
Old 08-17-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
125cc Honda Super Cub with all the available racks!
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #5
goezer
The Traveler

Oddometer: 156
Vespa GT 5

Same body as the current GT but with 14 in wheels from the X9 and the 500 cc engine from the MP 500.
I'd buy one today.
goezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #6
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,647
I would want something small and lightweight like my Super 8 but with much better cornering clearance, a better seat, and with a higher performance, liquid cooled fuel injected motor. Something like the PCX150 motor. Disc brakes front and rear and NOT LINKED. The 14 inch wheels seem to be a good compromise between the agility of small wheels and better ride for big wheels but I would consider 12 or 13 inch wheels.

A scooter like this would be a blast around town, and work well for exploring off road or embarrassing sport bike riders on twisty roads......all while getting 75-100 MPG

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

I really like my silver wing so that would be my starting point.

1. Make it bigger, stretch out the cockpit by a few inches. Id like to feel more like I'm sitting in the bike than on it. This will also allow for more storage capacity.

2. Improve suspension. Throw some truly modern suspension on this bike which is its current achiles heel. Also increase the tire size as much as possible. Who know maybe some genuis engineers could figure out how to put 17"s on the bike without cutting into the storage capacity.

3. Increase the engine size. I think its current engine struggles with the bikes weght and this causes a lot of the poor fuel economy. I'm partial to vtwins and I think an 800cc FI twin would be just about perfect for this bike.

4. Some smaller items that id group together are, a larger manually adjustable windshield nothing fancy just a windshield that can be raised or lowered while sitting on the bike without tools. A better seat with a true backrest. Think the quality and fit of a sargent seat with the comfort of a corbin. Also make the bike easy to work on. Think of ways to make the innerworking accesable without having to remove body panels. In fact id like to get rid if the read side panels if possible. Finally power points..you can neverhave enough. Id like one in the left glove box like our European cousins have, one under the seat in the storage area, and one that is on the outside of the bike to allow for heated clothing items to be plugged in.

I think that just about desribes my perfect scooter.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
The PacRat
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,572
A Honda Reflex 400. With more storage under seat.

Yeah, I know it sounds like a Burgman, but I'd already have one if Honda made it.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,198
Liquid cooled, 200cc 2stroker with a CVT and an old school Vespa/Stella body.
I hope I dont have to fight Honda engineers off after this thread
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
I really like my silver wing so that would be my starting point.

1. Make it bigger, stretch out the cockpit by a few inches. Id like to feel more like I'm sitting in the bike than on it. This will also allow for more storage capacity.

2. Improve suspension. Throw some truly modern suspension on this bike which is its current achiles heel. Also increase the tire size as much as possible. Who know maybe some genuis engineers could figure out how to put 17"s on the bike without cutting into the storage capacity.

3. Increase the engine size. I think its current engine struggles with the bikes weght and this causes a lot of the poor fuel economy. I'm partial to vtwins and I think an 800cc FI twin would be just about perfect for this bike.

4. Some smaller items that id group together are, a larger manually adjustable windshield nothing fancy just a windshield that can be raised or lowered while sitting on the bike without tools. A better seat with a true backrest. Think the quality and fit of a sargent seat with the comfort of a corbin. Also make the bike easy to work on. Think of ways to make the innerworking accesable without having to remove body panels. In fact id like to get rid if the read side panels if possible. Finally power points..you can neverhave enough. Id like one in the left glove box like our European cousins have, one under the seat in the storage area, and one that is on the outside of the bike to allow for heated clothing items to be plugged in.

I think that just about desribes my perfect scooter.
I am with you! Good suggestions all. I would like to add that if weight could be lowered, suspension and power would probably be OK as it comes from Honda!
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Mini has a concept scooter that allows you to snap in your cell phone and it becomes the instrument panel. its also covered so that its water proof. Clearly I would like to see this possible in all sizes from 7" profile down, not just the iphone.

In general I would like to see manufactures make more accessories for their scooters so we dont have to go around shoping, asking, trying and comparing. Sure that has fun in a way but still it would be nice to have everything I need at one place.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Dual-sport scooter

I'd like a true dual-sport scooter. 350 cc frame- mounted, fuel injected engine, minimum 14 inch wheels with semi-knobbies, medium-to-long travel high-quality suspension, a very comfortable seat that was big enough to slide around on a bit, tubular engine guards, minimal body work, and a big, functional rear rack. Oh, it should be lightweight and have good lights too.

So basically a lighter, automatic DR350 with smaller wheels and a better seat
Old 08-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #13
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandKPhil View Post
I'd like a true dual-sport scooter. 350 cc frame- mounted, fuel injected engine, minimum 14 inch wheels with semi-knobbies, medium-to-long travel high-quality suspension, a very comfortable seat that was big enough to slide around on a bit, tubular engine guards, minimal body work, and a big, functional rear rack. Oh, it should be lightweight and have good lights too.

So basically a lighter, automatic DR350 with smaller wheels and a better seat

This would be very cool!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,303
Better suspension on my 06 BV250...it works well but its harsh. Make it plush, without mush. Maybe FI, but that came with the next year anyway . Otherwise the new BV350 seems closer to the ideal, and with ABS. I'm saying this since the task was to decide the perfect scooter, a dual sport scooter seems oxymoron like and probably difficult to sort out the compromises, or a 700-800 cc scooter sounds like a motorcycle.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,808
My perfect scooter would be a 250cc 2 stroke, much like a Stella. But I already have a Stella, and it is a lot of fun, but not reliable enough for long trips. So I would settle for a 250cc-300cc scooter, that looked a lot like the Stella, and about the same size, but 4 stroke, liquid cooled, and carbed. I would also make it a CVT trans. It would have enough power to travel on freeways when necessary, but I use scooters on freeways as little as possible. That's what motorcycles are for. But it needs freeway capability. It would have to be low tech except for the liquid cooling, something that an amateur mechanic could work on, no FI, no ABS, no linked brakes. It would have to have tubeless tires. It would have to have screw and locknut valve adjustment that was easy to get to, and an oil filter. It would have to have both kick and electric start. Maybe a late '80s Honda Elite 250 restyled to look like a Stella/vintage Vespa. I could be very very happy with a scooter like that
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote