Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Epic Ride Reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
Mafketel OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Revenge of the Buell's, somewhere along the way ;)

Long story short, we tried to rent a buell for a roadtrip in the USA in 2002 and were not able to ;(

Fast forward summer 2014, we bought some Buell's (2003 xb9s and a 2008 1125R) and we have been driving around the USA. There is also a 2006 xb12scg hidden in the story somewhere and a stray Honda cm400 from 1979.

Present time, in Phoenix area.
We just got back from a trip to New Orleans and I am leaving on a solo trip to El Salvador 2mmrw morning.

I am busy with the last preparations, including starting this ride report because I promised to keep everyone up to date and send a sign of life daily.

I have been looking for a liability insurance online and am only to find $100 ones or higher the $100 is with only the minimum $50k liability. We passed by El Paso and Douglas on our freezing way back from New Orleans and I know now that car liability is only $29 a month so I will get this at the border.

Since I am driving the 2008 1125r I need to leave $400 + some administration fee at the border for the temporary import or waive my credit card. US or Canadian citizens could do this 2 weeks in advance but since I am Dutch I cannot.
Need to get a visa at the border and that should be all.

Furthermore I need to pick up a new rear tire at the UPS location in Tempe because UPS decided to not deliver the tire on Friday.... So I hope I make it in time in Douglass to do all the paperwork. I guess I can fit the tire somewhere in Mexico in the coming days.

First day direction to drive.Name:  firstday.jpg
Views: 2492
Size:  88.2 KB

MOre to come later, I need to put some fresh brake fluid and replace the frontfork oil seal on the xb9s.

Mafketel screwed with this post 01-05-2015 at 08:41 PM
Mafketel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,429
I'm in.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
Fizu
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Safe trip!

Hey Mafketel,
enjoy the ride and looking forward to follow you over here... and see you once you're back in Phoenix!
Cheers,
a.
Fizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Have long been interested in Buells, especially the sb9x. Looking forward to your report!
Old 01-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #5
cri
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hey Mafketel, endurance! Will follow your new adventure with much interest
cri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
cri
n00b

Hey Mafketel, endurance! Will follow your new adventure with much interest
Old 01-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
wvtaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Awesome

But are you sure the 1979 was a cm450 and not a cm400?
wvtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #8
Mafketel OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtaco View Post
Awesome

But are you sure the 1979 was a cm450 and not a cm400?
nope somebody confused me ... fixed ;)
Old 01-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #9
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 564
subscribed

I had to put my friend on an overnight bus in Baja CA Sur after his Buell burned a hole someplace in the rear cylinder. Can't remember exactly where. His dead Buell got a ride north in an empty freight truck. I hope you have better luck!

Every half kilometer will be a "lantera" sign painted on something, not always a structure. They can change a moto tire in single digit minutes with hand tools. They get lots of practice. As long as you aren't too attached to th paint on your rim, its all good. 60 to 80 pesos was the going rate last time I needed it done.

Don't expect to get it balanced.

Enjoy! We'll be riding along with you in spirit!

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:21 PM   #10
Mafketel OP
Adventurer

first day .... not where I hoped to be...

Name:  P1066133 copy.jpg
Views: 1970
Size:  116.1 KB
Next time I see those do not enter when flooded signs .... I will consider them

Packing ...... took me a bit longer and I left only at 12 and got out of the city at 13:30, so much for getting up at 07:00 and arriving in Mexico 2day.

Between that, the tire pickup, reshuffling luggage and the general slowness.
There was one other time consumer, a 50 mile unpaved road which is the only option between going through Tucson or taking the 191 over Globe.

It was very pretty :) love to show a picture but I am limited to 1 per post right now.
So I also can't show the ridiculous scale at which they are literally moving mountains here in Arizona to get at some copper.

According to the info boards the ray mine is 1.5mile by 2.5mile big.

That does not include the extra leach basins they have at the next town over.

temp went from very comfy 70degrees F to a very cold 45 degrees F after the sun went down.

2mmrw insurance border, maybe tire.

Mafketel screwed with this post 01-08-2015 at 07:13 PM Reason: added pictures .... since my server is belly up in NL
Old 01-06-2015, 06:49 AM   #11
Paebr332
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMongo View Post
I had to put my friend on an overnight bus in Baja CA Sur after his Buell burned a hole someplace in the rear cylinder. Can't remember exactly where. His dead Buell got a ride north in an empty freight truck. I hope you have better luck!

Every half kilometer will be a "lantera" sign painted on something, not always a structure. They can change a moto tire in single digit minutes with hand tools. They get lots of practice. As long as you aren't too attached to th paint on your rim, its all good. 60 to 80 pesos was the going rate last time I needed it done.

The word he should be looking for is llantero.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:31 AM   #12
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
I'll be very interested to know how it was to ride the xb9s. Some reviewers really liked it back in '03.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #13
cri
n00b

Good morning! Happy crossing today
Old 01-08-2015, 07:34 PM   #14
Mafketel OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMongo View Post
me too
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
The word he should be looking for is llantero.
actually just need something to rest the axle on to balance the tire ;)
I have not seen any llantero signs though did see some desperaho or something while driving by .... for now not yet an option, will look for a place in Durango.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
I'll be very interested to know how it was to ride the xb9s. Some reviewers really liked it back in '03.
You should ask Cri the owner of the bike .... I am happy I bought the buell with the rotax engine. WAY LESS rotating mass in the block. I drove a sportster on some twisties in the south of italy and I did not notice the rotating mass of the enginge as much, the whole bike was making me take my time to drive, mind you while reasonably keeping up with a MV Agusta F4 1000 and a ducati multistrada which both knew the area.

The XB9s has a frame and suspension that wants to go but the engine needs time, eg do not try to switch gear fast when you let go of the clutch the front wheel goes up.

The 1125r in comparison will, because of the vacuum assisted clutch, let you switch gear effortlessly, then when you open the throttle, the front wheel goes up.

All in all I did not drive the XB9s much and it will probably grow on me, if I would.

Mafketel screwed with this post 01-08-2015 at 09:40 PM
Old 01-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #15
Mafketel OP
Adventurer

day 2

While an hawk was observing me go around the curve from his vantage point in the tree, I broke hard for the small startled bobcat that was playing in the middle of the road with a quail.

Sorry no picture, the bobcat was in a hurry to get out of my way and ran up a quite steep hill.
I still find it weird to see a cat without tail, a couple of weeks ago I saw a big one walking in front of the sliding door. A couple of days later someone told me that a bobcat walked around me while I was working on the original weeping clutch of the 1125r(A bit of 1000 grit sandpaper does work for a while at least it seems)

18.5 fahrenheit does not fair well when starting the bike on a almost empty tank ;) After filling up and a bit of sun no problem
I drove around Douglas for a while this morning after putting gas and the insurance office ... in the end the $145 for 1 year coverage was not so bad I paid $137 for 30 days on the other side of the border.

I need to know why some ppl told me they pay $29 a month for car liability in mexico.

Anyway I did not find a place that was experienced or willing to fit a tire so I drove off to the border arrived at 10.
After a little miscommunication on my side and a typing error in the temporary import document I was off around 12:00.
At this time it was around 20 degrees Celsius, YES I am in country that uses a metric system ;)

Adjusting to the mexico driving style....signs, are useless it seems ppl just do whatever, two oncoming trucks on a small road where it was not allowed to pass(nobody got hurt or scared). Speed limits are very low and nobody seems to care.
I had the impression I was going against the traffic, at 30km/hour in town so very slow, but could not find any proof at multiple intersections so I did not think about it to much. The other traffic including the police did not care or give me any hint either.
Later while walking in this town I realized that there are arrows on the street name signs which indicate one way or dual way street. I obviously missed that while driving.

At some point I was getting pretty warm 27 celsius while being dressed for 10.
The roads are not always perfect(from potholes to patches of tarmac in between the dirt) but boy did I miss the curves in the road in the US. Stopped at a gas station put gas and changed gps and the bike to metric.
Got some not so sweet cookie and went on my way.

Ate it at a place with a view.

found some more curves

If you have a hole in your fence you can always patch with a vintage pickup truck