User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #61
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,243
You know what accessory I want(ed) for my number 5 CI pans? An antique and properly-sized-for-my-pans CI bacon press.

You know what hit me yesterday while cooking bacon? That smaller LL Bean porcelain-coated CI pan I didn't know what to do with works as a bacon press pretty well when placed on top of the bacon that is cooking in a #5 pan.

Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #62
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
I do love a fix that comes out of the blue with materials at hand and you no longer need to dick around with a purchased option.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #63
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
You know what accessory I want(ed) for my number 5 CI pans? An antique and properly-sized-for-my-pans CI bacon press.

You know what hit me yesterday while cooking bacon? That smaller LL Bean porcelain-coated CI pan I didn't know what to do with works as a bacon press pretty well when placed on top of the bacon that is cooking in a #5 pan.

A 5 makes a perfectly-sized omelette, FWIW.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #64
bolink654
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I wanna play!

I inherited these from my grandmother. Some she may have inherited from somewere, but I believe most were bought at flea markets/yard sales. Oh and the big lodge, I bought that for her like 5-8 years ago?

Me I cook for me and the wife, as such I stick with the middle three. The lodge aint as good as the other ones, but it'll hold 4 big and thin burgers in one go. I clean only with water, after watching her use dishsoap for years and thus turning to teflon when she did eggs. I wouldn't be afraid of a drop of soap now and then, but what I'm doing works.

Anywho, tell me about them?

The left most fajita thing says "Hencho en mexico" (whoda thunk) on back and "fajita sizzler" on top. It seems... not old.

To it's right, this one is marked only "7G"

The middle skillet in the corner of the counter has no markings.

Big one is a newish Lodge.

Smallest one says just "5R"

The right most medium one says
"8
SK
Made
In
USA
H1"

The back 2 are griswolds, the handles and sides are a touch different, but both marked the same
"GHC
GriswoldHousewaresCorp
Made in USA"

bolink654 screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 12:55 PM
bolink654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #65
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolink654 View Post
I wanna play!

I inherited these from my grandmother. Some she may have inherited from somewere, but I believe most were bought at flea markets/yard sales. Oh and the big lodge, I bought that for her like 5-8 years ago?
That's a really nice collection, but it would be even nicer to me if they were seasoned and weren't washed in water. It's sorta like looking at a gun collection that had surface rust all over 'em.

Best I can find is that SK may have been the company name before they became known as Lodge?

oh, and ... You and I have damn near the same counter tops color/pattern.

----------

Not related to your post, but in general - Interestingly, Wagner seems to be back in business making good cast iron pans again (at least from what I can tell), so American consumers may have a choice instead of having to buy Lodge CI cookware to start with.

http://www.wagnerware.com/CatMainDet...PLine=4&PCat=1

But that I can find, sales may only be through the site. I don't know where else to purchase them.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #66
bolink654
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Yeah, the ones I'm not using... are pretty much unseasoned. But I've had em long enough that the ones I do use are pretty well seasoned. I suppose I should do something with that fajita skillet and the bottom of that lodge. I'll be honest - I hadn't turned that thing over until now!

A year or two before she passed, she threw out the one thing I really wanted though. It was a spatula that she had used since before I was born, and used it in all these skillets. It wasn't nothing special (plastic handle, half melted), but it was worn down very very far, I'd have to guess it was probably 1 inch longer when it was new, and had fatige cracks were the rivets went through it. I'd have liked it just to hang on the wall! Imagine, I've eaten bits of that spatula, and can only assume just as much metal has been worn off the bottom of those skillets... and also eaten!
bolink654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #67
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
^ and if you keep eating food out of a skillet instead prepared foods and fast food you will probably live longer than most.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #68
yonahforge
Lur King

Oddometer: 40
Not so ancient cast iron

My sister ended up with our grandmother's cast iron when my grandmother moved to the nursing home. Long story short, the skillets were very well seasoned - enough so that the first time my sister used one of them the outside caught on fire....

Fast forward a few years and I offer to clean and re-season the priceless family heirlooms. After burning off the crud on the "cornbread" skillet, I realized that some were a little newer than expected. Check out the "D" on the word made:

That being said, almost all our cooking at the house is done in the cast iron we received new when we were married. Clean up with hot water and a nylon scrub brush. Only time soap is used if we cook onions or fish - something strong smelling - that would likely carry over to the next time cooking.
yonahforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #69
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonahforge View Post

Fast forward a few years and I offer to clean and re-season the priceless family heirlooms. After burning off the crud on the "cornbread" skillet, I realized that some were a little newer than expected. Check out the "D" on the word made:
Based on how archaic that stamped type is, that may be older than we'd think it would be... But then again it's in English... so I guess it was made for this market.

The interesting thing is that it appears to be individually hand hammered into the bottom of the pan for export.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:47 AM   #70
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,394
fajita skillet

We have a couple of those that get regular use, although the only reason it would be marketed as a 'fajita skillet' is, well, marketing. It's your standard stovetop griddle, and works great for quesadillas, grilled cheese, pancakes...... anything with minimal risk of getting flipped of the side of the pan while you're cooking.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #71
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
Ohhhhhh, me likey!

We use either straight up cast iron or enamelware cast iron, nothing else, ever except for boiling water. I basically got rid of everything else, and we had to, since we now have an induction stove top.

For cleaning, I just pull it straight off, take out the food, and use a natural bristle bruch and insanely hot tap water and it cleans right up. This works well if your tap water is crazy hot by nature. Just one benefit of having district heat.

Enamelware cleans with soap and water and is very durable, great for basically anyone who uses cast iron but a bit simpler to maintain.
I finally broke down and got one, ordered it through Wal Mart at a good deal. This thing is big fun. I don't use commercial charcoal, I used the left overs from my wood fired oven and light them with a torch. No chemicals so I feel really good about that and I can't understand why everyone doesn't do it now. Camping the other day I just used the remnants of our fire and instantly ready to grill. Everyone loves what comes of this thing and the Weber gets used very little now unless there is a crowd.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #72
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjine View Post
have a recipe for that you'd like to share?
i could use biscuits like that as a major bargaining point with the wife ;)
I obviously missed this.

3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 packages active dry yeast
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup margarine, melted
DIRECTIONS
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm milk, water, sugar and salt. Remove from heat, and mix in the eggs and yeast.
Combine flour into a large bowl. Mix well. Make a well in the flour, and pour milk mixture into it. Do not stir. Cover with a lid, and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes.
Pour melted margarine into flour, and mix well. Add more flour if too sticky. I usually end up adding about a cup of flour. Knead lightly. Cover, and let rise for 20 to 30 minutes.
Shape the dough into rolls, and place on a baking sheet. Let rise again for 20 to 30 minutes.
Bake rolls in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven for 15 minutes, or until done.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #73
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Mmmm...

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:46 AM   #74
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Couple of things since starting this thread. I finally got me a couple of Griswold Iron Mountain skillets and man those things are sweet. They feel as good in your hand as a Wustholf knife and the surface is so slick I call them black ice. I love having something that is 70 years old and works that well.

As someone else here suggested I sanded the bottom of new Lodge omelet skillet to where it was like glass and that was a huge improvement. It did take a few pounds o' bacon to get some seasoning but its coming along nicely. Good thing I have strong wrists to flip and omelet with this huge chunk of iron
Old 10-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #75
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

I've rethought a few things as well since originally posting in this thread.

The smokiness I didn't think was an issue (as I posted in reply to someone who stated that it was) turned up to be one. The beige microwave above the stovetop is showing signs of it pretty badly. With proper ventilation it wouldn't be bad I'd guess, but this house never had proper cooking ventilation.

I was using strained-through-a-paper-towel bacon grease as the original seasoning for the pans, but have found that the more pure rendered lard I made seasons the pans better.

In wondering just what the right temperature to use cast iron was I started cooking a bit hotter (since, really, the old cast-iron wood burning stoves must have been pretty hot on top), and that's when the smoke streaks above the stove became more noticeable.

I feel like I'm headed further away from a good seasoning, though, instead of maintaining the really good one I had on one of my skillets, but then I have been cooking numerous things in them like bread, grits, and chicken that seem to take the seasoning away.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: