ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
dancecommander OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Eek 2008 990 ADV stalls runs rough

I have seen many posts about the issue of the 990 stalling when pulling in the clutch lever and running rough, but haven't seen any of them come to a conclusion. Has anyone solved the issue? My 08' seems to have this problem.

I just bought it and it test rode fine and the info I have from the previous owner is that he changed the map to Rottweiler, removed emissions regulators, and Also have a 2-1 Wings.

Would be a great help if there was some resolution or were all the bikes with the same symptom different issues?
dancecommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Love your username!

Try the 1% or 2% leaner maps. I couldn't tell if you had the original airbox or not. If you do then the 1% leaner map may work better.

I just installed their intake system and I have Leo Vinci exhausts so it needed the 2% leaner map very badly! It ran lousy with the std and 1% maps.

With the richer maps the lurch was annoying at low throttle and with flat spots transitioning to the L maps of wider throttle opening. Opening the throttle gave it that classic too rich sound that I'm used to from my 2 stroke days. I tried the 1% leaner and it was better but the 2% leaner really did the trick.

Happiness is out there. Just don't give up. Give the Rottweiler folks a ring if you get stuck as they are really helpful.

Good luck,
Tim

2014 KTM Adv 1190R
2007 KTM Adv 990S Dakar 7k miles FOR SALE
2005 KTM 525 SX Supermoto/Rally
2002 KTM LC4 Supermoto (old GumbyDave-mobile)
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
dancecommander OP
Adventurer

Cool2

Thanks Youngblood! I will see what I can make happen. The name is from Electric Six.

It definitely runs like a 2 stroke!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Have you tried the 15 min idle reset?
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
dancecommander OP
Adventurer

Yes I tried the reset. Nada. Same response. Todays short ride was better after the reset but still the same symptoms.

I will have to acquire all the ECU tune gear and try the lean map suggested by youngblood.

Unless there is another possible solution? South florida doesn't have a great shop and I use Mac so the mapping software will have to be done on borrow laptop once I get the associated cable.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Few things to check.

Coils, I had one pop up for no reason causeing the bike to studder and miss at random RPMs

Broken Vacuum lines or unplugged lines

Plugged injectors

I spent a while chasing down a similar issue on my 07 tried reprogramming 100 different tunes and in the end it was a broken vacuum line causing a performance issue.

Yes it has a computer and EFI but dont over look the obvious first. Normally when things change suddenly its not an EFI issue
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
You can use tuneecu with a Mac. You need to run a virtual machine like VMware or virtual box. You can get a 30 d trial of windows. Done.

2014 KTM Adv 1190R
2007 KTM Adv 990S Dakar 7k miles FOR SALE
2005 KTM 525 SX Supermoto/Rally
2002 KTM LC4 Supermoto (old GumbyDave-mobile)
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
dancecommander OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys, will be a month before I get try any of these suggestions.
Chad
Old 09-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
Jeco46
Breastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I'd be looking at fuel filters. Just sold my 08 with 61K and replaced them twice because of similar symptoms. Had good luck with filters sold on this forum by a guy in Greece. KTM prices are a bit steep, to say the least.

350 XCF W

RMX 250
Jeco46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
I think I would be looking for a more immediate problem--not mapping. Your bike may need a re map to get it running optimally. Your problem sounds more extreme--as suggested, a vacuum leak, MAP sensor cable vacuum line off/loose. Plug wire, fuel filter, bad gas???
Old 09-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #11
650XDriver
MacGyver

Oddometer: 11
I had the exact same problem with my 2008 990. The problem was two fold in that it involved the fuel filter, which I replaced but still had rough running and stalling issues when the throttle was closed too quickly. It also had poor idling and would stall some of the time. I had done a canisterectomy and removed the SAS pump and all that work to no avail. After talking with some of the theTuneECU guys, I remapped the FI using the EU akropovic map and making some adjustments to fuel maps to tweak the fuel economy and smooth out the response. After all that the bike runs like a top with smooth acceleration, idles perfectly, and gets 38 to 40 mpg. If you want the map, PM me and I'll send it to you. When I say the bike runs great, it's runs like a stripped ass ape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #12
dancecommander OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650XDriver View Post
I had the exact same problem with my 2008 990. The problem was two fold in that it involved the fuel filter, which I replaced but still had rough running and stalling issues when the throttle was closed too quickly. It also had poor idling and would stall some of the time. I had done a canisterectomy and removed the SAS pump and all that work to no avail. After talking with some of the theTuneECU guys, I remapped the FI using the EU akropovic map and making some adjustments to fuel maps to tweak the fuel economy and smooth out the response. After all that the bike runs like a top with smooth acceleration, idles perfectly, and gets 38 to 40 mpg. If you want the map, PM me and I'll send it to you. When I say the bike runs great, it's runs like a stripped ass ape.

How many miles before you had issues? I'm at 2,600, I would hope the fuel filter could last longer than that. I'm thinking mapping because of the rottwieler air filter and 2-1 wings. But still I should check that all was put back correctly after the removal of the stock air box.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #13
DerWeg
MacQyver

This is 650XDriver. My 990 had 2800 miles when I filter issues. Even though the filter may look clean, after I let the pre filter dry you could hardly suck air through. It was like pulling water through a pinched straw. Unfortunately quite a few 2008s had filter issues. Easy to change the filter without removing the tank. Once I did that and fixed the ECU it runs like stripped ass ape.

DerWeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #14
DerWeg
MacQyver

It's really hard to screw up the install on the Airbox. Fuel delivery accounts for most running issues unless you've got a real bad vacuum leak. I modified my TuneECU map and it runs great. Just got 35 mpg off road at the Ride Reno 200 and 40 mpg riding to the event. I had a 2 into 1 and that had little effect on the running after the TuneECU update. I switched back to twin exhaust and it still runs great from Sea level to 9000 ft. PM me and I'll send you my modified map.

DerWeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:00 AM   #15
dancecommander OP
Adventurer

Very encouraging guys, Thank you. STill have about 2 weeks before I get back to the bike. Looks like I will have a strip and tune day before I get to ride. But will be a good education on some of the bikes inards!

DerWeg, I was thinking of going with Rottweiler map as that is air box that is there. Did you build your own or pull it from an aftermarket parts set up?