Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #196
rallyreplica
out and about

Oddometer: 53
Thanks for the info! What about heat? Is anyone with this tank wrapping their exhaust pipes or making heat shields to keep the tanks cooler? It's no secret that it can get pretty dang hot under there...

Rally
rallyreplica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #197
Eldon
950 ADV

Oddometer: 512
Thanks for the info! What about heat? Is anyone with this tank wrapping their exhaust pipes or making heat shields to keep the tanks cooler? It's no secret that it can get pretty dang hot under there...

Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitpass View Post
I test rode for 150 miles last weekend, temperature was 98 deg. With stock exhaust system. I had the petcock closed and tank completely full. When I arrive back home and let the bike run for another 5 minutes. My idea was to see what happened when it got really hot and see how much fuel would overflow. Vent/overflow tube worked perfectly. A small amount of fuel filled up the tube under the seat up to about the shock mount, no fuel came out on the ground. Great system!

06 YZ250 Smoker
00 KTM LC-4 - Sold
93 CR125 - Sold
89 CR80 - Sold
84 XR80 - Sold
74 Honda MR50 - Sold and I wish I hadn't
Eldon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #198
rallyreplica
out and about

Thanks for that! ...and you're running the stock exhaust with stock mufflers?

Rally
Old 09-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #199
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 407
South America report

Hi Rade,

Glad you got back safe from your trip amigo

I wont go into the install, it has been well documented here and we did not vary from the collective wisdom. No issues at all other than my mudflap has cracked and I will need to replace that. We routed the breathers up around the headstock as suggested. I also tidied up (ziptied to frame fairly loosely) the main fuel line to keep it well away from the chain and to avoid it coming into contact with the exhaust !!!!

I rode from Santiago, Chile to Montevideo, Uruguay. In temps ranging from -15C over the Andes at 3800m asl, to 40C. About 5000kms in total. Most of it was highways but I did about 800kms on rough dirt roads.

I had an issue once when I filled it up in high temps, petcock closed and left it direct sunlight. It started pissing fuel out but not from the breather tubes it was coming from the top of the tank somewhere and dripping down the side of the frame, I have not had the chance to strip it down an investigate yet, but I suspect it was bleeding from the breather spigots and I have heard of others having troubles with these not fitting right???

The heat shield has come away from the tank at the front, I suspect the fuel pissing all over it had something to do with that.

It didnt repeat, just happened once. Other than that it has worked just great! I dont notice the weight at all and there is no effect on handling whatsoever! I have been getting about 120kms of extra range on my 990R, so about 350kms to the red light.

I did notice that when I had the reserve tank empty, and filled up the main tanks with the petcock open, it went to red light at about 110 kms ???? But then kept running for another 110 kms. Weird

In general I have been filling up the fronts first, then the rear with the petcock closed and leaving it as a reserve for when the redlight comes on. In many cases I ended up not actually using the reserve at all, but it meant I could take more liberties with the standard range and extend the time between fuel stops. Previously I would always stop for fuel where it was available just in case.

It takes longer than usual for the red light to go away, normally about 30-40 kms once you do this. I suspect the filling rate vs the consumption rate at 130-140kph is the cause of this? I also have run it from full in all tanks with the petcock open and got the red light at about 350kms. But my bike has always been thirsty and this was fully loaded and riding at about 130kph + in strong winds. Some say I am throttle heavy

All in all...I love it and it has been very much admired by the rest of the 990 communitiy here in Chile. You will be getting more orders from this part of the world where the distances are huge and fuels stops few and far between.

Setting off over Libertadores pas at 3800m asl....a clear run

Sorry I just couldn't resist this shot

Coming back over the pass was a bit hairier, I had to wait for 48 hours for the pass to open and when they did there was a lot of snow and ice about

Had to tip toe down here with ice on the road

Martynho screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 10:39 AM
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #200
rallyreplica
out and about

Nice review!
Old 10-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #201
rade OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Hi there,

@ Martyn - thx. for the review and amasing pix.!!! I am a bit jelaous :-)

Some status about the tanks:
- the sometimes problematic spigots/rubber sealing is now replaced by better sealing
- the heat shield is recommended to be glued - the sticker is not strong enough

Here I have some tanks ready for shippment... 269E + shippment 26E to Europe and 46E to US.

Let me know, if you are interested.

Rade
rade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #202
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,007
Beautiful work !

Now get to work on some more of your excellent products for
the 1190 R I'll have in the spring.

Carbon skid plate, extra fuel tank and how about a set of uber
styling carbon panniers.

Max
Old 10-05-2013, 04:08 AM   #203
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 857
Love your work here Rade.

Im dead keen for one but, Is there anyway of making them refillable without taking the seat off ? When I would need to use it, I would have a GiantLoop bag on the seat. Having to pull it and the seat each time to fill would be a pain.

Just a thought.

Cheers.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #204
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
Is there anyway of making them refillable without taking the seat off ? When
Maybe some sort of plumbing could be applied to the existing, after the pump. The original pump could pump fuel from the main tanks towards the auxiliary ones, while filling up the original tanks. How about that?
Cheers.
gefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #205
rade OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
Love your work here Rade.

Im dead keen for one but, Is there anyway of making them refillable without taking the seat off ? When I would need to use it, I would have a GiantLoop bag on the seat. Having to pull it and the seat each time to fill would be a pain.

Just a thought.

Cheers.
I do understand, taking off the bag is not comfy... but even I move the filler "behind the seat" it will be still in the lugage rack :-( Believe me I have spent many hours trying to find the most user friendly place... Under the seat, you dont have to solve at least the lock...

So I can offer professionaly made tanks with all mountings and protection with uder the seat filler for 269E each...

rade screwed with this post 10-13-2013 at 03:48 PM
Old 10-26-2013, 04:08 AM   #206
CLANTECH
back at work...

Oddometer: 29
Can't reach Rade

Hey Rade

what's happening at your end? Friend of mine wanted to order a few fuel tanks and windshields but he can't get in contact with you. Also I saw that your website is down...
Looking for a life sign from your end!

Greets
Claudio
CLANTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:12 AM   #207
rade OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey guys,

I am a bit bussy finishing the CNC Footpegs and the RR screen with HID high beam... But tanks and EVO screens are ready for shippment!

Sounds strange, but my website was turned down by hackers and i didnt have time to fix it.

But feel free to send me an email:
radegarage@gmail.com
Old 10-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #208
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldon View Post

Rally
Cant quote on REALLY hot tempretures as we dont get them in the uk in Fall, however I use mine on both long trips and commuting in London Traffic, so lots of slow riding with very little airflow and it does get hot, to date no issues at all.
I have found that the best route for fuel for me is the pipe running accros the rear cylinder and the tap for the fuel bolted onto the front sprocket cover, then the fuel lines joins the main tank lines on the left hand side of the bike.

I have used it just as extra fuel, ie the tap on all the time, but as with others when the fuel light comes on I have a lot more range, probably extra 10 miles (but to be honest havent pushed it to find out).

But more recently on long trips I have been using it as a BIG reserve tank, it gives me 70+ miles or so at motorway speeds, again should really check but havent had the time yet so 70 miles is the longest I have gone on the rear having switched it in.

The best thing about it is the fact that even with it full you dont notice it at all there is no apparent effect on handling at all.

I did have a similar problem with overflow when filling it to the top and then leaving it out in the sun. I find the best way to fill is to top off the rear tank with the tap shut, then top off the fronts and when they are full, I open the tap for a a minute or so whilst I pay for fuel then switch off, it seems to just drain a bit from the rear into the front, and I havent had any issues again.

hope that helps
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #209
rallyreplica
out and about

Thanks for that input. That's very helpful and appreciated. I am planning on buying one but am holding out for the behind the seat filler. Rade has filled me in on what's going on with that so hopefully that will get sorted. If not...I buy the under the seat version which I hear is awesome!!

Thanks for your insight!

Rally
Old 10-29-2013, 01:54 AM   #210
Unruled
950S

Oddometer: 118
I use it as permanent extra fuel supply as well, works a treat. Slightly annoying that I have to remove the seat every time, but I'll survive :P

I did have the early run with the breather grommets going bad, and I've actually had the tank be useless for a month or so now, haven't got round to fixing it. Ordered new grommets, hope they'll fix it as they're the only ones I can find in the right size. If they don't, Rade could you send me some of the ones you use now?