User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #211
rade OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Hey guys!

I have here 10 tanks waiting to turn into your Xmas present :-) with improved aluminium fuel cap.

The price for the tank kit is 289EUR and Xmas free shippment to Europe and US!

Short description:
- Applicable only for models WITHOUT ABS!!
- Extra 7,5 liters of fuel => extra 100km range
- The kit includes: the tank, mounting hardware, tubes, petcock – simply everthing :)
- No need to change pipes or frame… only think you need to cut the underseat fairing

more on radegarage@gmail.com
rade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #212
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynho View Post
Hi Rade,

Glad you got back safe from your trip amigo

I wont go into the install, it has been well documented here and we did not vary from the collective wisdom. No issues at all other than my mudflap has cracked and I will need to replace that. We routed the breathers up around the headstock as suggested. I also tidied up (ziptied to frame fairly loosely) the main fuel line to keep it well away from the chain and to avoid it coming into contact with the exhaust !!!!

I rode from Santiago, Chile to Montevideo, Uruguay. In temps ranging from -15C over the Andes at 3800m asl, to 40C. About 5000kms in total. Most of it was highways but I did about 800kms on rough dirt roads.

I had an issue once when I filled it up in high temps, petcock closed and left it direct sunlight. It started pissing fuel out but not from the breather tubes it was coming from the top of the tank somewhere and dripping down the side of the frame, I have not had the chance to strip it down an investigate yet, but I suspect it was bleeding from the breather spigots and I have heard of others having troubles with these not fitting right???

The heat shield has come away from the tank at the front, I suspect the fuel pissing all over it had something to do with that.

It didnt repeat, just happened once. Other than that it has worked just great! I dont notice the weight at all and there is no effect on handling whatsoever! I have been getting about 120kms of extra range on my 990R, so about 350kms to the red light.

I did notice that when I had the reserve tank empty, and filled up the main tanks with the petcock open, it went to red light at about 110 kms ???? But then kept running for another 110 kms. Weird

In general I have been filling up the fronts first, then the rear with the petcock closed and leaving it as a reserve for when the redlight comes on. In many cases I ended up not actually using the reserve at all, but it meant I could take more liberties with the standard range and extend the time between fuel stops. Previously I would always stop for fuel where it was available just in case.

It takes longer than usual for the red light to go away, normally about 30-40 kms once you do this. I suspect the filling rate vs the consumption rate at 130-140kph is the cause of this? I also have run it from full in all tanks with the petcock open and got the red light at about 350kms. But my bike has always been thirsty and this was fully loaded and riding at about 130kph + in strong winds. Some say I am throttle heavy

All in all...I love it and it has been very much admired by the rest of the 990 communitiy here in Chile. You will be getting more orders from this part of the world where the distances are huge and fuels stops few and far between.

Setting off over Libertadores pas at 3800m asl....a clear run

Sorry I just couldn't resist this shot

Coming back over the pass was a bit hairier, I had to wait for 48 hours for the pass to open and when they did there was a lot of snow and ice about

Had to tip toe down here with ice on the road

Sorry guys for repeating all these electrons, but Martyn is a seriously particular guy. (Hi Martyn!). If HE likes it I WANT one too!

It's goodbye to the Rotopax!

Email on it's way!
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #213
rade OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have got few questions if the tank will survive hard enduro...
I was thinking about it when designing the tank and we did some tests with the styroform model and the inpust were trasfered into the the tank final shape...

check the test here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19234Jluh0E

Old 12-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #214
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by rade View Post
Hey guys!

I have here 10 tanks waiting to turn into your Xmas present :-) with improved aluminium fuel cap.

The price for the tank kit is 289EUR and Xmas free shippment to Europe and US!
If Google is right on the exchange rate, that is only $397 U.S. dollars shipped? That just seems too good to be true.

Man or man do I wish I had the cash to do this now, and I don't even have my bike yet...

Please tell me you will continue to make these in the future.

ben
armourbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #215
supercreep

Oddometer: 1,380
looks excellent - i can't wait for the abs version!
supercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #216
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
It is a very well made tank, and works well. The only possible issue is a new knobbie at full suspension compression MAYBE being able to contact the tank. I think that is only a concern for very few riders of these bikes, and I am fairly certain that I am not one of those few.

I am pleased with mine, and it is quite seamless once installed. I would recommend any of Rade's products and well as Rade himself.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #217
Pitster
miniac

Oddometer: 346
Very nice! Can you confirm if this tank will fit on the super enduro?

www.nomadrider.com Adventure luggage and gear
Pitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #218
travelsomewhere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Abs

OHHH mamma, i want one for my ABS bike!
travelsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #219
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 250
Pm sent

Hi Rade,

Just a heads up, PM sent regarding the tank.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #220
rade OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitster View Post
Very nice! Can you confirm if this tank will fit on the super enduro?
Sorry, but it doesnt work for Super Enduro :-( And I dont think there is a payback in developing the tank for SE.
I would have to sell at least 60 pieces...
Old 12-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #221
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 798
Everytime I check in this tank gets sweeter and sweeter! Just moved to Texas from Virginia. Gotta get a job and wait for the dust to settle before ordering this badboy.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #222
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 400
Roger that

+1 The tank e one of Rade's prototypes and it works great. I had some minor issues with the sealing of the breathers but that was all part of the development process and a few of us fed back to yer man and he has modified them now, he even mailed me some updated parts FOC. Top man that Rade feller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
It is a very well made tank, and works well. The only possible issue is a new knobbie at full suspension compression MAYBE being able to contact the tank. I think that is only a concern for very few riders of these bikes, and I am fairly certain that I am not one of those few.

I am pleased with mine, and it is quite seamless once installed. I would recommend any of Rade's products and well as Rade himself.

Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #223
Sharing Roads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Damn I only saw this now. (The 10 tanks for Xmas) Now the budget is blown on the kids prezies and back to school.
Sharing Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #224
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
well need start saving pick one these up and grab a rade rallye screen also

excellent work man and look forward seeing other projects you make

lets see if can squeeze in load overtime in Jan
Old 12-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #225
DIRT DERRICK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hi Rade,

That is brilliant!
I will buy one if you have any left? If not I will wait until your next production run, I wish you every success with this venture looks like a great product!
Neil
DIRT DERRICK is offline   Reply With Quote