Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Phi1osopher OP
metaphysician

Oddometer: 30
2" genuine SOLAS tape *super reflective* $*/ foot, however much you you want!!

$2.00/ foot + shipping

SOLAS (Safety Of Life At Sea) retroreflective tape is U.S. Coast Guard approved; it
has a reflective surface comprised of encapsulated glass lens beadlets. SOLAS tape conforms to International Maritime Organization regulation, IMO Res. A.658 (16) and meets U.S. Coast Guard specification 46 CFR Part 164, Subpart 164.018/5/0. It is approved by numerous national authorities around the globe.

I recently purchased an expensive 150' roll of genuine 2" SOLAS Retro Reflective Tape for a series of projects. I am now selling the remaining tape at $2.00 per foot to attempt to recoup some of the original purchase cost. This tape is less than two weeks old, and is carefully stored inside my air conditioned workshop. You can be assured the tape you purchase will arrive to you in perfect, new condition. I have more than 100' left, so feel free to go crazy.

UPDATE:You guys have bought so much tape that I decided to purchase some more. Its neat making this shiny stuff available to the community, and its fun to meet so many of y'all. Plus my personal stash was running low, and I think I might wrap a bicycle frame in it.... I'd hate to actually run out!
I think it would be cool if some of you who have bought tape would post some pics of how you are using it.

Once again, SOLAS tape for $2.00/ foot.
When you PM me your order, please include:
(1) How much you want
(2) Specify if you want one long piece (shipped in a box) OR multiple 12" pieces (shipped in an envelope).
(3) Your name and shipping address
(4) Your email address

I will quickly reply to your PM, and send you a PayPal invoice to your personal email, allowing you to pay either with a credit card, or directly through PayPal. If you prefer to mail me a check, that is OK too.

Shipping: I'll charge actual shipping for a USPS flat rate box or envelope, and I ship fast.
If you want up to twelve individual 12" strips, it will fit in a 12" x 9-1/2" Flat Rate Envelope, shipping will be $5.30
If you prefer one long, uncut piece, sent as a roll, I'll use a Flat Rate Medium Box, and shipping will be $11.35
Shipping a USPS International Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope to Canada is $12.95

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Thanks for looking!
-Steve

Phi1osopher screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 02:07 PM Reason: I bought more tape to sell.
Phi1osopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
GS Dude
Hooter

Oddometer: 292
PM on its way...

GS Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
GS Dude
Hooter

Oddometer: 292
Just bought a batch of this stuff....

Seems like a good dude to work with.

Thanks!
GS Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Phi1osopher OP
metaphysician

PM Received. Thanks GS Dude for your payment. I'll be sure to get your tape out with Monday's mail.

EDIT: Is that a dancing banana riding a giant green llama??!!

Peace and grease,
-Steve

Phi1osopher screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 07:24 PM
Old 08-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Donster
No trick too cheap

Oddometer: 557
PM sent.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Phi1osopher OP
metaphysician

Reply sent.

-Steve
Old 08-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Pm
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Phi1osopher OP
metaphysician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi View Post
Pm
Invoice sent.

EDIT. Thank you for your payment!

Thanks for your interest!
-Steve

Phi1osopher screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 09:43 PM
Old 08-19-2012, 03:37 AM   #9
mb289
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Solas Tape

I'll take 5 feet. PM sent.

Thanks,
Dave
mb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
gonzo2k
Adliberator

Oddometer: 290
PM sent.

Save $$$_SMUGMUG REFERRAL LINK: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=b39gXpEl6klcs
gonzo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
Phi1osopher OP
metaphysician

MB289, gonzo2k, PMs replied.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
Phi1osopher OP
metaphysician

Shipped on time

I got everyone's packages out in this morning's mail. If you bought tape over the weekend, it should arrive soon.

Thank you!
-Steve
Old 08-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
MikeV42085
n00b

Oddometer: 5
SOLAS tape ?s

SOLAS tape peel and stick?
Is it flexible enough to wrap the back of a helmet and stay put?

Many thanks,
MikeV42085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #14
Phi1osopher OP
metaphysician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV42085 View Post
SOLAS tape peel and stick?
Is it flexible enough to wrap the back of a helmet and stay put?

Many thanks,
Mike.
Answer #1 is easy: Yes, the tape is peel and stick.

Answer #2 is a bit more tricky. I believe that applying a 'helmet halo' around the helmet so that it looks perfect -- with perfectly straight lines and no wrinkles from the helmet's irregular shapes -- will require an "expert" level of 'tape application proficiency.' If you hate reading overly detailed shit on the internet, now's the time to just look at the pictures and skip to the end.

Let me toss in an example of what I recently did with my primary helmet. Since most of my bikes are vintage racers, I decided to make a reflective 'helmet halo' out of checkers:

I used a small paper cutter to carefully cut the 2" tape into 1" squares, then carefully hand laid them, using 1" masking tape to assist with the alignment. While the SOLAS tape would be perfect for this, I did mine with a 3M industrial grade reflective tape. I wish I used the SOLAS, but I completed this project before I fully understood the amazing brightness of SOLAS tape.
Regarding the potential visibility of the checkers design, I assume that from a sufficient distance where the reflected checkered pattern appears as a single illumined object, if the double row of 1" checkers use about 1/2 less total reflective material as a solid 2" 'helmet halo,' then this pattern should reflect back about 1/2 less light. On the other hand, is it possible that at slightly closer distances, where the texture of pattern is visible, the distinctly "man-made-look" of the checkers might help it stand out from other illuminated objects, rendering it overall more visible? Either way, I just like how it looks.

Back to using the SOLAS tape to make a proper helmet halo. I think it (like most new tasks) will be fairly difficult to do absolutely perfectly the first time. Having said that twice, here's how I would get 'er done, but I want to warn you that I am extremely nerdy with this stuff. I tend to fixate on details, probably going (just a tiny little baby bit) overboard. Anyway, here's how I would do it:

I would start with cleaning and inspecting the helmet. Depending on where and how you apply the SOLAS tape, this is a good opportunity to possibly cover up a blemish.... I would get some quality 1" automotive masking tape (the blue or green stuff) and use it to mask off a perimeter above and below where I intend to apply the SOLAS tape. Since the SOLAS will need to stretch asymmetrically and non-linearly if it is going adhere smoothly to the helmet's irregular shape, I expect it will become exceedingly difficult to correctly eyeball straight lines if applying it without a guide. I would therefore spend a lot of time applying the automotive masking tape. I would measure its spacing and alignment repeatedly, making sure this thinner, stretchier, easier to 'detach and reset' stuff is applied absolutely correctly before starting with the SOLAS.
I would then grab some 2" masking tape and practice laying it on the helmet, pretending it were the 2" SOLAS, paying attention to how difficult it is to keep between the other masking tapes' guide lines. It will be helpful to see how the changing shapes of the helmet affect the tape -- this is just one more opportunity to pay special attention the areas that will be extra difficult. Where does the tape require extra stretching? Where is it prone to get wrinkles? Where is it difficult to make it look straight? Now you know.

If your intent is to wrap one uncut piece of tape as a 'helmet halo,' then I would plan on starting at the back of the helmet, going all the way around, and meeting it again in the back. (If laying checkers, I would start at the middle of the front. This way the checkered pattern would be centered front and center.) I would consider the DOT/SNELL labeling at the back and decide how I want the tape to interact with these labels. I would ask myself, "Self, do I want to cover these? Do I want the tape to end with boring square cut ends? Would I prefer some kind of triangles, etc?" Sort this stuff out before starting with the SOLAS tape. If you are going to do something clever with the ends, make a little template so it can be casually replicated on either side of the DOT labeling.
Once finished with all that monkey business, I would wipe down the helmet one more time.

Now that I have it all worked out, and I think I'm all ready, and I have one more beer in me, only now would I finally start with the SOLAS tape. I would measure the circumference of the helmet and cut the tape to length, plus a little extra. (Once its cut, its easier to trim a little off the end than to add a little extra....) If you are going to do fancy ends next to the DOT labels, then cut/prep the starting edge of the tape accordingly. Start in the back, on either side of the DOT labels, and plan on wrapping around the helmet with one piece of tape, all the way around to the other side of the back of the helmet. I would slowly and carefully apply the tape, removing the backing bit by bit as I went around the helmet, pulling and stretching as I went. I maybe would have a heat gun or hair dryer available to warm the tape a bit if a section proved to be especially difficult and required a bit of extra flexibility. Follow the masking tape guides all the way around. When you get to the end use that template again to mark and trim the finishing end so it mirrors the start. Be careful and triple check your marks before you cut it, making sure it is symmetrical before making those final cuts! Start slow. Be patient. Be steady. Don't panic. Try to make it perfect, but when you make a little mistake, remind yourself that the glaring little 'screw up' probably wont even be noticeable to anyone else. At least that's what your mother would tell you. And then, all of a sudden, you're done.

Be forewarned that this SOLAS tape is rather difficult to remove once applied. Upon removal it is prone to separate from its adhesive, breaking apart in little honeycomb patterns. It's messy. You are likely to damage the finish of whatever it is from which you are attempting to remove the tape.
It also is noteworthy that you may need to apply the SOLAS tape across some moving parts such as vents, etc. In my first picture you can see how I applied checkered tape across my front vent. I had to trim the seams between the parts so the vent could open and close. After the SOLAS is applied, carefully find the seams around the vents, pressing them, making strong indentations with a thumb nail, then very carefully cutting along those lines and removing the excess with a razor blade. It required some practice before I was able to cut the tape across seams with clean, non-jagged lines.
In other places you might be forced to apply some SOLAS across areas where will need to be removed (i.e. a visor). It might be helpful to to first lay some masking tape over these areas to serve as anti-stick protective covers. After the SOLAS is trimmed, it will be much easier to remove it with the masking tape.

Here's the end:
I am pretty damn sure I could get this SOLAS tape to stretch for a really good 'helmet halo' installation. If you are already pretty good at this kind of thing, it is likely you will pull it off. If you are not experienced, or you always screw up this kind of thing, then you too can easily make a halo, but it probably will suck. When its all said and done, it will be fairly difficult to apply the tape perfectly straight with no wrinkles or imperfections. Whether its perfectly applied, or it ends up a bit sloppy, the SOLAS tape absolutely will provide an extremely visible and long lasting improvement to any helmet.
(Gawd. I can't believe you just wrote so much. Its just some extra shiny tape on a helmet....)

Best wishes, and good luck.
-Steve
Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #15
Phi1osopher OP
metaphysician

I got a good question PMed to me, and want to post the answer here:
Quote:
I have some black Goretex rain gear, I was thinking of grabbing some of this stuff to put on the back, arms, and legs. Is the tape flexible enough to go on a coat and pants or would it be too stiff. Thanks for any info....
Ghostryder, Thanks for your question. This tape absolutely is flexible enough, however I don't think its adhesion is good enough.

For now, I would say that this tape is not a good application for clothing/gear.
It probably would adhere better on leather. The Tape might work on synthetics if it is slightly modified or if the synthetic material is correctly prepared. I don't know.

Several days ago I attempted to apply some of my SOLAS tape to a new Hi-Viz Courda jacket. The tape only stayed in place across the flat back. While the tape has been there for several rides, I would not consider it a permanent application. The ends of the tape keep trying to peel up off the cloth where the jacket flexes the most. It might stay there a long time, if I trimmed the tape so it is only applied where there is little to no jacket flex.

I've been thinking about what to do for a permanent application across the front, sleeves and back of my gear. I think I might try to apply the SOLAS to some sort of semi-adhesive cloth backing (sticky to sticky), and then use some sort of liquid stitching product to more permanently apply the SOLAS to my jacket. I am still working on the perfect permanent solution. I also bought a few feet of the Reflixite brand "sew-on" SOLAS tape off eBay so I can compare it and experiment a little. Even if it is perfectly sewable, I don't know how I would sew it on some of the difficult to access areas of my jacket -- such as around zippers and across permanently sealed armor, etc.

In the end, for clothing/gear applications, I think I will have to find a permanent way to adhere the tape -- something better than the tape's native adhesive.

I am not really much of a seamsmeister (is that masculine for seamstress?), but I intend to take my jacket and some of the SOLAS tape to the local big-box fabric store to see if the knowledgeable ladies there have any good suggestions.

I hope this helps!
-Steve