User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2005, 04:53 AM   #1
kdude OP
orgasmatron engineer

Oddometer: 2,020
Question Transmission Fluid Castrol SAF-X0

This is what BMW reccomends in the owners manual. It is fully synthetic.

I still have a few BMW Hypoid Gear oil SAE 80W90 GL-5 left over from my K days. This fluid is regular and not synthetic.

Can I use this oil in my new GS tranny ?
kdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #2
stevenknapp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Short version, the BMW stuff meets the same specs, but isn't synthethic and might not be suitable for extended drain intervals or high temps or something...I'd just go buy some Mobil1 for $4 and not risk it. Give the BMW dyno stuff to a friend.

Long version:

Hmm...some time with google turned up a lot of discussion on the BMW car forums of what SAF-XO is. BMW PN's listed even. Anal? Try a BMW car shop and see if they can order it under PN 83-22-9-407-768 I think. They all point to a GL5 80w90 gear oil, some even quoting BMWNA for the advice.

Oddly enough Castrol just specs it as a 75W90 synthethic gear oil.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=7000660

Mobil1 is a 75W90 GL5 lube. I'd probably stick with the Mobil1 instead of the heavier weight BMW branded synthethic. Then again I never did understand how the owners manual could spec one oil and they sold/used another. Go figure.

Oh, FWIW, XJ is the 75W140 Castrol lube.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=7000659

The BMW car forums listed this as required for some BMW limited slip diffs.

Why would they spec XO (75W90) and sell an XJ-like product (75W140) instead?
stevenknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:10 AM   #3
kdude OP
orgasmatron engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenknapp
Short version, the BMW stuff meets the same specs, but isn't synthethic and might not be suitable for extended drain intervals or high temps or something...I'd just go buy some Mobil1 for $4 and not risk it. Give the BMW dyno stuff to a friend.

Long version:

Hmm...some time with google turned up a lot of discussion on the BMW car forums of what SAF-XO is. BMW PN's listed even. Anal? Try a BMW car shop and see if they can order it under PN 83-22-9-407-768 I think. They all point to a GL5 80w90 gear oil, some even quoting BMWNA for the advice.

Oddly enough Castrol just specs it as a 75W90 synthethic gear oil.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=7000660

Mobil1 is a 75W90 GL5 lube. I'd probably stick with the Mobil1 instead of the heavier weight BMW branded synthethic. Then again I never did understand how the owners manual could spec one oil and they sold/used another. Go figure.

Oh, FWIW, XJ is the 75W140 Castrol lube.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=7000659

The BMW car forums listed this as required for some BMW limited slip diffs.

Why would they spec XO (75W90) and sell an XJ-like product (75W140) instead?
Hey Steve.. now i'm really confused. Its more about the issue of bmw spec an oil in the maintanence book that doen't even have a bmw equivalent...

thx for the reply... prollytake your advice and buy mobil syn.

Howard
Old 06-02-2005, 11:07 AM   #4
stevenknapp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
If you really want what they spec, XO, you can probably get it from a car dealer.

Neither product BMW Motorrad sells at this time lines up with what they spec.

YMMV. But the Mobil1, or another full synth 75W90 GL5 gear lube should be just fine. Might ask your dealer tho, if the trans blows up you'll want it to be full of something they like.
stevenknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #5
kdude OP
orgasmatron engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenknapp
If you really want what they spec, XO, you can probably get it from a car dealer.

Neither product BMW Motorrad sells at this time lines up with what they spec.

YMMV. But the Mobil1, or another full synth 75W90 GL5 gear lube should be just fine. Might ask your dealer tho, if the trans blows up you'll want it to be full of something they like.
Just got back from a dealer in VT. He told me to use the new BMW 75-140 syn oil. It sure was expensive. $14.95 bottle. The Reg. BMW stuff gl 75-90 was about $5.50.... Almost three times the price... ouch
Old 06-02-2005, 07:18 PM   #6
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,589
my 1150GS specs 90W (as I recall) and not 75W-90, which is lighter. But if you read the bottles of BMW goo, they all say "approved for all BMW motorcycles blah blah."

I thought $14.95/litre was expensive for lube until my rear drive blew and I threw $$$ to get it fixed. Now the difference between $4.95 and $14.95 doesn't make me blink.
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #7
kdude OP
orgasmatron engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
my 1150GS specs 90W (as I recall) and not 75W-90, which is lighter. But if you read the bottles of BMW goo, they all say "approved for all BMW motorcycles blah blah."

I thought $14.95/litre was expensive for lube until my rear drive blew and I threw $$$ to get it fixed. Now the difference between $4.95 and $14.95 doesn't make me blink.
Well... you took some of the sting off from the price I paid.... hopefully you will never have to deal with that issue again.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:26 PM   #8
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
I took this from the website given:

"Castrol SAF-XO is a full synthetic SAE 75W-90 final drive lubricant suitable for use in most passenger car and light commercial vehicle final drive without limited slip differentials. The excellent cold flow properties offer superior protection at start up and help to reduce torque loss and improve driveline efficiency. BMW approval for rear axles without a limited slip differential. API GL5 (GL6 obsolete), ZF TE-ML 05."

I find two things interesting about this. First off, this is a final drive lube and not a transmission lube (not yellow metal safe?). Second thing is the "without limited slip" statement. Lubes for non-limited slip final drives are friction modified differently from lubes which are limited slip safe. Shifting may suffer if you use a 75w-90 that is friction modified for limited slip final drives.

Redline 75W-90NS could be an alternative?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:30 PM   #9
mreimler
Adventure Crasher

Oddometer: 339
Gear oil???

I hate to sound like a noob but what should I be using for gear lube in my '02 Adventure? The manual says 90w but others are using 75-90w or even 75-140w. Does it make a difference or is this another way to open the "what's the best oil" crap storm?

I was going to use some 80-90w Amsoil synthetic gear lube but now I'm petrified with fear of eternal damnation to do anything. Guess I'll just ride it "until she blows" or somebody squares me away.

Walrus to the penguin "Did you blow a seal?"
Penguin "Nope, I just had some ice cream"
mreimler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:47 PM   #10
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
I've been running 75-90 Mobil for most of 100k. 75-140 a couple of time cuz I couldn't get the previous.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:38 AM   #11
CCRyder
Champ

Oddometer: 1,708
Are you referring to an R1200 or 1150? Dealer recommended Red Line "heavy" shockproof to me for my 1150, and I love it. Smoothed out the tranny considerably. YMMV.

2002 KTM 520 E/XC
2011 BMW R1200 GSA
CCRyder is offline   Reply With Quote