ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #196
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,615
^^^^^Cherry Ranch should set up a photo booth at this spot and charge us all a small fee to have our photos taken with our bikes

We all have the same basic photo from the same basic spot. And for good reason, it's breath taking as you come around the corner and see this view.

findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #197
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
We all have the same basic photo from the same basic spot.
Shall we start an album?

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #198
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
When I was investigating the area around the Kinzua Haul Road, I ran into more "No Trespassing" signs than I have ever seen in my life. The property rights of the Kinzua road have been confirmed in court, but I have wondered about how many of the other closed roads might actually be public right-of-way that is just being claimed by landowners to keep out the riffraff.
Have I shown this pic of the old Kinzua truck?
it's sitting at a farm in Grizzly, a bit SW of Ashwood.

...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #199
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Quote:
When I was investigating the area around the Kinzua Haul Road, I ran into more "No Trespassing" signs than I have ever seen in my life. The property rights of the Kinzua road have been confirmed in court, but I have wondered about how many of the other closed roads might actually be public right-of-way that is just being claimed by landowners to keep out the riffraff.
Cherry Cr. Ranch trying to say something here-

findLadukebob
Old 03-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #200
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
Cherry Cr. Ranch trying to say something here-

Do those face direction of travel? or do they face from the side of the road, indicating only to not venture off the road?

I ran across one place where a "No Trespassing" sign that should have been positioned to protect adjacent property was instead turned toward traffic, to seem to prohibit use of the public road.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 03-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #201
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Do those face direction of travel? or do they face from the side of the road, indicating only to not venture off the road?

I ran across one place where a "No Trespassing" sign that should have been positioned to protect adjacent property was instead turned toward traffic, to seem to prohibit use of the public road.
Those are off the side of the road, when you enter the ranch there is a sign that asks everyone to please stay on the road. All of the people that work the ranch that I have come across have been very nice but I have been on the road and being a good ambassador for dual sport riders. Let's keep it that way because this is a great road and one we don't want to have problems with.
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #202
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

As for sign's, we did just get back from riding out in Eastern WA & OR and did run across many sign's that are posted next to the road making it look like the road is closed or private. It's becoming a real common site and is starting to get very frustrating especially if you are trying to be respectful of the surroundings!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #203
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

It's been about 4 years since I've been over there and those signs where doubled up on the south side of the road as you enter the ranch property. What I thought was funny is they had them posted on every other fence post. There must have been 50 signs. They must have had a problem with guys climbing the fence to bird hunt or something.

As Craig said, stick to the main road.
findLadukebob
Old 03-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #204
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
...Let's keep it that way because this is a great road and one we don't want to have problems with.
Quote:
Don't misunderstand, I have no problem with someone protecting their property; I just don't want them claiming ours.

Quote:
Those are off the side of the road, when you enter the ranch there is a sign that asks everyone to please stay on the road.
Cool, and as it should be.

Quote:
I thought was funny is they had them posted on every other fence post. There must have been 50 signs.
I have often thought that the guy selling signs over there must be making a very nice living.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 03-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #205
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
As for sign's, we did just get back from riding out in Eastern WA & OR and did run across many sign's that are posted next to the road making it look like the road is closed or private. It's becoming a real common site and is starting to get very frustrating especially if you are trying to be respectful of the surroundings!
This is exactly my complaint, and I wish we had some easy way to determine which signs are ligit. I don't want to go where I shouldn't be, but I certainly do want to go where I have the right.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 03-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #206
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
It's been about 4 years since I've been over there and those signs where doubled up on the south side of the road as you enter the ranch property. What I thought was funny is they had them posted on every other fence post. There must have been 50 signs. They must have had a problem with guys climbing the fence to bird hunt or something.

They have a problem with people poaching trophy mule deer and elk off of the property. It's gotten so bad that the owners of the property no longer hunt their 65,000 acres for mule deer as they breeding stock of bucks has gotten so low that they are declining. Every year they find multiple headless deer with small caliber bullet wounds on their winter range. The public and private land surrounding the ranch is seeing the same problem. These aren't people poaching deer for food. They are poaching deer just for their heads to mount and sell in states where it is legal to sell mounted deer heads (it's illegal in Oregon and Washington). A trophy buck or elk can bring thousands and thousands of dollars.
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #207
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
This is exactly my complaint, and I wish we had some easy way to determine which signs are ligit. I don't want to go where I shouldn't be, but I certainly do want to go where I have the right.
Is there a convenient source of maps somewhere that clearly marks what land is public and what is private? It gets old fast when a route seems like public land on my garmin and google maps, but turns out to be private (or at least claimed as private).
Old 03-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #208
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
Is there a convenient source of maps somewhere that clearly marks what land is public and what is private?
One can only hope.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #209
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
Is there a convenient source of maps somewhere that clearly marks what land is public and what is private? It gets old fast when a route seems like public land on my garmin and google maps, but turns out to be private (or at least claimed as private).
I have never found it convenient but going to the county road department in each county is one way. Or, spend about 30 years buying every map you can get your hands on and the older the better. Not that the roads on the old maps will still be there or are public but it's amazing how roads and names vanish off the new maps! I like to pull the old maps out and then run Google Earth on the lap top next to it. It's really wild what you can find!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #210
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
I found this site which has tons of information including if land is public or private. It won't tell you if the road is public or private, but if you want to find out about a specific parcel of land this site has it:

http://tools.oregonexplorer.info/oe_...html?Viewer=OE

If you click "layers" then "show Layers" then
click the + sign next to Planning and Cadastral
click the "ownership" box
Click in the boxes you're interested in.

You can also use the boxes for wilderness areas or tribal lands,

It's not the most user friendly by any stretch of the imagination, but worth the time to figure it out.

There's a bunch of different base maps which you can view with different opacities to see through the the next map.

This really works great. Thought I'd pass it along since our tax dollars probably paid for the website, or at least most if the information on it.
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote