ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #211
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
This really works great.
I must be doing it wrong. It is so washed out, I can hardly see it.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #212
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Down at the bottom of the Layers frame there are sliders that you use to dim or make stronger each layer. Play with those to get the map that you want to see showing stronger.
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #213
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,593
Played around with it a little last night and I did notice up in the right hand corner there is a Google Maps tab (in the Base Maps tab) and when I clicked it the map became very high res. Found a road between Condon and Fossil that leads down to the river I need to check out

Thanks for the link!!

Don't know why but every time I open this link my computer locks up.
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #214
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
Played around with it a little last night and I did notice up in the right hand corner there is a Google Maps tab (in the Base Maps tab) and when I clicked it the map became very high res. Found a road between Condon and Fossil that leads down to the river I need to check out

Thanks for the link!!

Don't know why but every time I open this link my computer locks up.
That road down to the river has one of those questionable signs on it. It made it clear they didn't want you on it, but one has to wonder.......
I spent some time last January trying to find that road.
But I did find a cool road that runs the ridge West of Condon with some awesome views, it runs the edge of the farm fields, just dirt and lots of up, down, ins, and outs.

More discovery is needed in that zone.....
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #215
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
That road down to the river has one of those questionable signs on it. It made it clear they didn't want you on it, but one has to wonder.......
I don't know that we will ever find out for sure about these signs.

I came across a similar situation, and went to the county sheriff about it- no luck.

He didn't know of that particular sign, and just gave me a general answer, something to the effect that some of the signs are legitimate.

And, for those who seem to have doubts, no I didn't pass the sign.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #216
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
They have a problem with people poaching trophy mule deer and elk off of the property. It's gotten so bad that the owners of the property no longer hunt their 65,000 acres for mule deer as they breeding stock of bucks has gotten so low that they are declining. Every year they find multiple headless deer with small caliber bullet wounds on their winter range. The public and private land surrounding the ranch is seeing the same problem. These aren't people poaching deer for food. They are poaching deer just for their heads to mount and sell in states where it is legal to sell mounted deer heads (it's illegal in Oregon and Washington). A trophy buck or elk can bring thousands and thousands of dollars.
I can't understand why someone would mount the head of a deer that they didn't shoot. I'd be embarrassed every time someone asked where I shot it if I had to say that I bought it.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #217
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolburner View Post
I can't understand why someone would mount the head of a deer that they didn't shoot. I'd be embarrassed every time someone asked where I shot it if I had to say that I bought it.
But you're not a Rich Phucker from a Big Shitty needing to fill yet another "country" vacation home with trinkets, now are you?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #218
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
But you're not a Rich Phucker from a Big Shitty needing to fill yet another "country" vacation home with trinkets, now are you?
Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner!

A friend of mine used to have an elk ranch on the way from Brothers to Antelope Flat Reservoir which isn't too far from Cherry Creek ranch. He raised elk purely for the racks that he would gather when shed. The genetics of his elk were ridiculous and it wasn't uncommon for him to have perfectly matched pairs that scored 450 and better. He could sell them for $25,000-$40,000 a pair to rich wankers with a ski Mcmansions in Telluride or Sun Valley to hang over their gigantic stone fireplace that were big enough to roast a whole elk on a spit. They don't care how they got them and there is an active black market for the same head gear. I'm sure lots of tall tales about heroic hunts are spun associated with farm raised elk and deer racks hanging over those fireplaces. He eventually had to start hacking his bulls antlers off with a sawzall before they shed because guys started trying to poach his elk through his double 12' high fence. They killed a couple of his best breeding bulls through the fence before he gave up the operation.
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #219
Miguel Sanchez
Whatever...

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Shall we start an album?

Oooo - can I play?

01 GS1150, 02 WR426F, 04 XR650L, 04 315R, 04 CRF230F, 81 R100RT (S), 56 G80CS, 87 MT11, 71 TS185, 74 98SR, 74 99RT, 76 TL250, 70 MX125, 80 DR400, 80 RS175, 80 RS250, 78 XR75, 74 RD350, 70 CT70, 06 Monster 620 Dark, and about a dozen more I can't think of right now...
Miguel Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #220
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Well shoot, looks like anyone can play this game:

MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #221
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

That's five of us, so far
Cool. Anybody else?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #222
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
That's five of us, so far
Cool. Anybody else?
Sure, I love this road.

gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #223
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 928
Wow great posts in the last few days. When I was riding in Austin I started a Google Map of the "Legit" dirt roads within a 100 mile radius of Austin and gave a handful of people the ability to add content to the map. I got a bunch of help from people more technically savvy than I and they basically took off with it. In Texas it's very common to have public roads going through private property, and like here, we were trying to be good stewards but we also wanted to know if landowners were posting scary signs on public roads. The thread took off and is still going....

With that said, good times last week, rode on Thursday and Sunday. We may be getting traction on a regular Tuesday/Thursday after work ride, we'll see if it flies.

Justin
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #224
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,593
Really funny how many of us have found this route over the years. Back in 2007 I was using a mapping software called Terrain Navigator Pro from Maptech ( loved that software but doesn't work with 64bit) and was kind of scanning the state of Oregon one day and found Cold Camp Rd. Chased it out on the map over to NE Divide Rd., over to NE Gosner Rd., and over to Twickenham. Back than the only people I found that knew anything about that route was the Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife screening division because they had a few screens over there.

I was warned to wait until summer to try it, and before I went to check to make sure a thunderstorm hadn't passed through the area. Wise advise!

I finally made it over there the first time the summer of 2007. I know I wasn't the first to figure this nice little route out but when was your first time over there?
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #225
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
Really funny how many of us have found this route over the years. Back in 2007 I was using a mapping software called Terrain Navigator Pro from Maptech ( loved that software but doesn't work with 64bit) and was kind of scanning the state of Oregon one day and found Cold Camp Rd. Chased it out on the map over to NE Divide Rd., over to NE Gosner Rd., and over to Twickenham. Back than the only people I found that knew anything about that route was the Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife screening division because they had a few screens over there.

I was warned to wait until summer to try it, and before I went to check to make sure a thunderstorm hadn't passed through the area. Wise advise!

I finally made it over there the first time the summer of 2007. I know I wasn't the first to figure this nice little route out but when was your first time over there?
1985, I have photo's somewhere on that paper stuff that you had to wait a week for so that you could see what turned out and what didn't!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote