ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #226
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
I know I wasn't the first to figure this nice little route out but when was your first time over there?
If you mean on a motorcycle on the road shown in the picture, it was just last summer.

If you mean any mode of travel, and the area in general (and maybe that road,) it was sometime in the 1940s in the backseat of the family sedan.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962

MortimerSickle screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 10:25 AM
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #227
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Really funny how many of us have found this route over the years. Back in 2007 I was using a mapping software called Terrain Navigator Pro from Maptech ( loved that software but doesn't work with 64bit) and was kind of scanning the state of Oregon one day and found Cold Camp Rd. Chased it out on the map over to NE Divide Rd., over to NE Gosner Rd., and over to Twickenham. Back than the only people I found that knew anything about that route was the Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife screening division because they had a few screens over there.

I was warned to wait until summer to try it, and before I went to check to make sure a thunderstorm hadn't passed through the area. Wise advise!

I finally made it over there the first time the summer of 2007. I know I wasn't the first to figure this nice little route out but when was your first time over there?
I first found it about the same time on my Benchmark looking for new roads. It was early summer and rain was in the forecast. Benchmark says "Not recommended for motorhomes and trailers". No problem, I ride a motorcycle. Road was fine when were on Cold Springs rd. Not long after Gosner the skies opened up and the road surface turned into a wet sticky clay. Almost instantly. We stopped just to free up excess mud stopping forward motion. Once the rain blew through, the sun peeked and it drained off. With any sustained moisture it would be a real mess. I know that this is part of the original stage line running from John Day to The Dalles. Makes you wonder.....Neat country with a lot of history.
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #228
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
......when was your first time over there?
Mere days after YOU gave me that link on the Horse Heaven mines.
I had seen that website a year earlier, and then let it go.
Until Spring two years ago, then I couldn't get it out of my head !!
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #229
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnr View Post
Not long after Gosner the skies opened up and the road surface turned into a wet sticky clay. Almost instantly. We stopped just to free up excess mud stopping forward motion.
My dad told me of pulling a wagon in that area, and having to stop occasionally to use an axe to chop the mud from the wheels because the horses could no longer pull the load.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #230
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,429
Had to go back and dig but I did have that photo!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #231
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Lugged all my gear to work this morning and then rode the bike back after lunch so I could sneak out after work. No sure thing today, we've been getting hammered at work and the weather went a bit south but what the heck. Last minute announcement on my little Moto Bend Facebook page and I had a taker, my buddy Mike (PNWCrazyMike?) on his beast of a KLR.

Headed out with the temp in the upper 30s lower 40s and ran into light snow flurries before getting to the trailhead. Tried to thaw the fingers a bit before we hit dirt.

Dirt was amazing after a day of good rain, although definitely had to pay attention. Lots of semi-frozen ruts, semi-frozen mud, and thoroughly frozen rocks.

Got into the lava field and had to thaw my fingers on the motor again. Nice sun and light snow at the same time.

Made it all the way down to one of our summer riding areas with some challenging riding. It was hard to tell if it was dry, mud, or icy....

Got in some pretty good snow/ice riding at the turnaround point, got slightly lost for a bit, and then managed find the powerline back home. Sunset while going through this area is stunning.

How true Mike's helmet is. Pace was decently high and the steering damper probably saved me at least twice tonight. Mike almost wadded it up in a downhill rock garden right in front of me, epic save, I was picking my line over his back. Also got to see a whole herd deer crossing in front to compliment the herd of antelope Mike jumped on our Sunday ride.

Snow was covering our tracks on the way back and freezing the mud and water, still challenging but lots of fun. Stopped at Good Life Brewery for beer and dinner and friends. Good ride, good times, Good Life.

K_N_Fodder screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 08:11 AM
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #232
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Looks like a great "First Day of Spring" ride. Hoped you stopped to smell the flowers along the way
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #233
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
Looks like a great "First Day of Spring" ride. Hoped you stopped to smell the flowers along the way
Or as our Texas friends say when we keep posting shots of snow capped volcanoes, "Stop and smell the volcanoes."
Old 03-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #234
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,354
Roads

For you GIS users, here's an interesting link:
http://www.blm.gov/or/gis/data-detai...?data=ds000041
BLM coverage of Oregon and Washington roads. The tabular data shows ownership (private, county, etc), but unfortunately many of the records indicate "Not Known" ownership designation. Of course, the BLM provides the appropriate weasel words, so user beware.

Free ESRI viewer available here http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/explorer
and there's probably some other free GIS software out there.

Probably not the easiest resource to use if you're not familiar with GIS, but if it's snowing and you're bored with nothing else to do...
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #235
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
For you GIS users, here's an interesting link:
http://www.blm.gov/or/gis/data-detai...?data=ds000041
BLM coverage of Oregon and Washington roads. The tabular data shows ownership (private, county, etc), but unfortunately many of the records indicate "Not Known" ownership designation. Of course, the BLM provides the appropriate weasel words, so user beware.

Free ESRI viewer available here http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/explorer
and there's probably some other free GIS software out there.

Probably not the easiest resource to use if you're not familiar with GIS, but if it's snowing and you're bored with nothing else to do...
IDRIDR that sounds intriguing....

This is what you do if you don't watch professional sports on TV.

Got home and snuck out to watch the sun set... and try not to hit all the venison running across the roads.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #236
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer: 330
Little loop

Mr Dualsport put his motorcycle back together today so we took advantage of "warm" Spring weather and took a ride this afternoon. I was stoked to ride without being distracted by frozen hands and feet!

We got in a few miles of fun before work, not bad for a girl who wakes up at the crack of 2:00 pm!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #237
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,795
Atta girl!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #238
RallyRex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I'm in town this week, trying to squeeze in some DS rides every other day or so.

Yesterday I rode the powerline trails from the Sunriver area (off Lava Cast Forest road), north past China Hat, then onto pavement and out to Millican, then back on pavement to catch dinner with the fam.

Any suggestions on rides I should do? Anyone up for a 3-4 hour ride sometime between now and Sunday?

Here are a couple pics from yesterday:

Old 03-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #239
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyRex View Post
Any suggestions on rides I should do? Anyone up for a 3-4 hour ride sometime between now and Sunday
Theres a bunch of us ADVers riding around just East of Bend, near the Prineville Res all weekend....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853361

Come on over, RR !!!
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #240
RallyRex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Will do. Saturday morn perhaps.