ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #16
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Nicely done, good photos and history. I'm on a couple of "Day Ride" kind of threads in other places and they seem to work well, since for most of us normal humans, "Day Rides" are about the best we can do. I got in some riding this weekend, took back roads up to Kennewick and back for a buddy's B-day party. Unfortunately the wife had snuck off with the camera when I left so all I have are a few crappy cell phone pics. I did manage to help rescue a lady with a blown out front tire on an obscure dirt road north of Mitchell :)

J
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Holloway fire

For those that love the very south east corner of Oregon, looks like the landscape will be altered for many years to come. Most of the Trout Creek Mountains burned, and it came really close to the Willow Creek Hot springs that many riders have enjoyed. Here's the current link.

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3113/

Here's a pic taken in Sept. 2010

From the outline of the fire, looks like it may have burned around these cool old ruins:

I know it's mostly sagebrush, but it was a cool area.

MadChap screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 04:15 PM Reason: fix links
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:46 AM   #18
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
We just got back from four days of van-camping with my wife and our two hooligan hounds.

After visiting the headwaters spring of the Metolius River,
we headed North to explore a forest I have not yet spent time in, South of Warm Springs Res.
We camped that night right at the South border entrance to the only Southern road into the Res,
at a great little dispersed spot right on the creek.

Interesting valley, there where two creeks run basically parallel down this valley
... for about five miles from the looks of it in my Benchmark.
The Benchmark was all I had this trip,
and in the van, we did limited dirt exploring around there,
and headed over to explore the old Santiam Wagon Road South of Hwy 20 for the next few days.

But on the way back home I bought a Sisters Ranger District map
with vows to return in my bike for more exploration from where we camped towards lake Billy Chinook.

From the map, it looks likely to be empty and less traveled,
which is just the ticked to get me to come back.
MadChap, I know you've spent some time in that area,
what will I need to ride most?
what's the best stuff?
looking for dirt-only two-track whenever possible,
Kinda like what I see in the Paulina Valley Road in your pics above.
(And now, I have to go there, too, dammit)
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #19
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

AJ: First is this near where you camped?:

Here's a ride report I did riding to each trail head on the east side of the Jefferson Wilderness:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706086

There are a number of great two tracks along green Ridge, but I can't remember the route #'s. Normally I just ride up there and take whatever looks fun. That said, here's a couple suggestions:

Ride all the way the the very north end of Green Ridge on 1190

Take 1149 south from there with a detour to "Castle Rock". My Deschutes NF maps doesn't show the road, but there is one there. I've actually penciled in several roads. Not sure if it's in the "approved roads" list that the NF now issues.

1149 has some great offshoots here and there. Kind of it it looks good ....take it.

Further east is 2055.... DO NOT TAKE THAT.....unless you really like sharp softball size rocks scattered all over the road and extreme dust. Just sayin..

Way further east is a great ride to Geneva with several amazing overlooks of the Deschutes River. There was a fire there recently, so I'm not sure if some of it may be ashy now.

Of course, if you just want to ride close to Madras, this is within 2 miles of my house. Maybe not good for the 990?

Be careful of the Squaw Creek Crossing found in the Squaw Flats area:

Not sure why, but you must click to view this next pic of Wachs enjoying the waters of Squaw Creek.

Here's an older RR from some of that area:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275767

MadChap screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 05:57 PM Reason: fixed link
Old 08-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #20
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Long Way to John Day

So I had to spend a couple hours in John Day for work purposes. Well, if I have to go there, why not enjoy the ride?

Started my usual Madras to Ashwood. Up on the pass the views of Jefferson were blocked except the very top because of the Waterfall Fire smoke:

I love this ride and never tire of the scenery

From Ashwood took Gosner Road. Once past Donnybrook, I notice it looked like it had been freshly graded.

Then......

What a bummer, now even grandma's Prius can drive Gosner rd. Why not leave it like it was:

Well the views haven't changed even if the road has:

So instead of taking Bridge creek road to Mitchell, I took a little river access road towards Twickingham and was rewarded with this:

and this:

Once at the Twickingham bridge, I chose to go south on Girds Creek to 207, then north to Service Creek. I stopped at the little restaurant there at 11:55am and looked around. About 5 other tables full and no one had food....looked at my watch and my appt. book. Realized I was suppose to be in John Day at 1:00 not 1:30. oops.

Left without ordering and made it to John Day at 1:15. I may have exceeded the speed limit for a moment or two? Needless to say, no pics

Left John Day at 4:00pm still wanting some adventure but not wanting to ride past dark on account of the critters who love to explore the headlights of motorcycles. Mudbutt had asked about the road along the south fork of the John Day river out of Dayville. Why not get and answer for him.

Headed south and thought the pavement would last about 6 miles, after 1 it turned to gravel. Sometime nasty deep and washboarded and at other times beautiful 60mph dirt. Of course I never exceeded the speed limit......by the way what is the speed limit on dirt? Anyway took a wrong fork (west) and the road dead ended in about 2 miles. Back tracked and too the road to Izee:

By the way, that is looking north from my reroute. If heading south, take the left fork and follow the Izee sign.

Bombing down the road come upon two cowboys on horseback herding about 30 head down the road. Took a few minutes for them to get the cows around a cattleguard then I got by slowly. Nice folks. Asked how many more miles until pavement? 20 hmmm....daylight is fading quickly.

Picked up the pace and came bombing around a corner and scared the crap out of me and about 30 wild mountain goats. Fortunately they hung around and even let me take some pics:

That was cool!

Finally hit pavement - county rd 63 called Izee road.

Then took 380 through Paulina and Plush home arriving at dusk. 9 hrs in the saddle and 3 hrs in meetings, guess which I enjoyed the most?

Thanks for riding along.
Tim
Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #21
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
...by the way what is the speed limit on dirt?...
Depends on your mood, and how clearly you are thinking at the moment.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #22
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post

Not sure why, but you must click to view this next pic of Wachs enjoying the waters of Squaw Creek.

Here's an older RR from some of that area:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275767

HA!

Thanks for dredging that one up - I had totally forgotten about that Stihlrigg ride day.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #23
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Depends on your mood, and how clearly you are thinking at the moment.
I always looked at the speed limit on dirt like the old wise owl looked at how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

1,2,...crunch,...3 !
It takes 3 licks to get to the center.

In other words....
...I've never had enough patience to follow the rules

No, we camped at the very North end of 1190, just before it enters the Res
Old 08-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #24
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Apple J, I remember BP calling me about a possible rescue mission a week or so ago... what's the story??

I almost pulled a Wachs (awesome shot!) in that very spot, well, a bit further upstream. Bike tried to float away on me, a bit of pucker factor since it was March-ish and pretty chilly.

MapChap, sounds like you sure know the area man. I did a run to Kennewick on the DR right through there last weekend. Had an absolute ball flogging it through the Ochoco and Blue Mountain twisties, before popping out in the wheat fields north of Heppner.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #25
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've only ridden up to the edge of Squaw Creek. It was June, the water was really running and I was by myself. One of the few times clearer heads prevailed and I turned around. The Heppner-Maupin-Prineville-John Day square has some awesome roads both paved and dirt. It's always good to be out riding them. We'll have to connect some time for a ride. I've ridden a lot of the area, but there are always new roads to explore, somebody has to do it so why not me!

I want to start spending some more time riding south and east of Prineville Reservoir. I've only scratched the surface of that area. I also need to ride more on the southern end of Green Ridge, as I've explored the northern end a fair amount.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #26
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Moar goodies in MadChap's AO.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #27
Miguel Sanchez
Whatever...

Oddometer: 897
::

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

01 GS1150, 02 WR426F, 04 XR650L, 04 315R, 04 CRF230F, 81 R100RT (S), 56 G80CS, 87 MT11, 71 TS185, 74 98SR, 74 99RT, 76 TL250, 70 MX125, 80 DR400, 80 RS175, 80 RS250, 78 XR75, 74 RD350, 70 CT70, 06 Monster 620 Dark, and about a dozen more I can't think of right now...
Miguel Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #28
Crash.Gordon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
MadChap, that looks like the area I was talking to you about riding... we should link a ride through the Big Muddy see a friend for lunch and out Painted Hills to Ochocco's sometime... Nice RR, nice shots, I miss that area.

Cheers-
Crash
Crash.Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #29
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer: 288
Short afternoon ride to 3 Creeks Lake

Short but sweet ride from my place to Sisters yesterday. Went out Skyliners and turned off to the 4606 then up the 4609 it was super dusty down there. Up and up I went and found the 4601 and turned off to check out the awesome views from the end of the road past the radio tower and tooled around playing on some spur roads. Back on 4601 I continued west to the 370 junction and north to Three Creeks Lake. Forgot how much I like that lake! Took my boots off and waded around in the cool water and enjoyed the setting sun for a bit before cruising the main line to town. Stopped at the brewery for a rye beer and sweet potato fries. It was getting dark so I just drove hwy 20 back home. Nice little ride for the noobie.
LittlePosum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #30
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
Apple J, I remember BP calling me about a possible rescue mission a week or so ago... what's the story??
The story is....
I had high desire to follow the ORIGINAL Santiam Wagon RD.
At the East end of where it borders the Mt Washington Wilderness, my GPS told me the 590 road was the original,
and it continued to be the true legal-to-ride border road of the Wilderness.
I was solo, but that draw was too much. And...the road looked good in the beginning 1/4 mile....

But, the burn caused a lot of treefall, I got stuck on this log, but my trusty 10" hand saw got me out...

Then,...I was foolish enough to keep going,...even after my first warning.

It just got uglier and uglier. And I kept going. Silly me

I kept going downhill, through this narrow old troad, and I was still excited that this was obviously still the 170 year old Santiam Wagon Road

Well. I suddenly realized it was 4pm, I was out of water, in 90 degree Central Oregon, and tired as hell.
I got to a spot with a huge tree that had fallen that I could not cut nor get around,
and I decided it was way past high time to turn around. But I could not turn around.

Fricking 908RR rear tire would only dig holes in that loose shit you fuckers call dirt, and I could not get anywhere.
So, I contemplated a while......then made a phonecall.
In the hour I was waiting, I packed my panniers the 1/4 mile through the burn to the main red dirt road to lighten my load.

When I got back to the bike, I felt a bit silly and pissed off,
and promtly KICKED Punkin' hard down onto her side,
and pivoted her on the already-scratched Safari tanks so that she was headed back up the hill.

Then, (as Wachs said in another thread...) "in typical 990 fashion; gas on"
I rode that big orange bastard out of the hole I had gotten myself into.
Whew. End of this story,...this time.

BTW. Do NOT ride that 590 road. Trust me....

Apple Jam screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 09:11 PM