ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #31
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePosum View Post
Short but sweet ride from my place to Sisters yesterday. Went out Skyliners and turned off to the 4606 then up the 4609 it was super dusty down there. Up and up I went and found the 4601 and turned off to check out the awesome views from the end of the road past the radio tower and tooled around playing on some spur roads. Back on 4601 I continued west to the 370 junction and north to Three Creeks Lake. Forgot how much I like that lake! Took my boots off and waded around in the cool water and enjoyed the setting sun for a bit before cruising the main line to town. Stopped at the brewery for a rye beer and sweet potato fries. It was getting dark so I just drove hwy 20 back home. Nice little ride for the noobie.
LOVE that 370 road
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #32
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
I've only ridden to Three Creek Lake from the Sisters side. Made several wrong turns and got on some MTB trails and had to back track but eventually made it there and it is beautiful.

I've looked longingly at 370 on the map for a long time. Really need to do that. It's a big of a haul from Madras, but not as far as AJ is doing from Hood River.

AJ: 590 doesn't show on my Benchmark, guess it's time to break out the Deschutes FS map and check out that road...er trail, with my DR350 maybe?

Good to see people out riding. Mine is going to get really limited. I had planned to take off next Tuesday for a ride to LoLo Montana with some other Vstrom riders where there is a small rally. However today I got the word that my 73 year old dad will be having major cancer surgery next week in Portland. Colon, liver, lung and some lymph nodes all get cut on. Praying he makes it.

So, I'll not be riding for awhile as family comes first. I'm sure I'll have plenty of time sitting in the hospital to read ride reports, so get out there and ride and post up here so I can be envious!

Tim
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #33
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
I've only ridden to Three Creek Lake from the Sisters side. Made several wrong turns and got on some MTB trails and had to back track but eventually made it there and it is beautiful.

I've looked longingly at 370 on the map for a long time. Really need to do that. It's a big of a haul from Madras, but not as far as AJ is doing from Hood River.

AJ: 590 doesn't show on my Benchmark, guess it's time to break out the Deschutes FS map and check out that road...er trail, with my DR350 maybe?

Good to see people out riding. Mine is going to get really limited. I had planned to take off next Tuesday for a ride to LoLo Montana with some other Vstrom riders where there is a small rally. However today I got the word that my 73 year old dad will be having major cancer surgery next week in Portland. Colon, liver, lung and some lymph nodes all get cut on. Praying he makes it.

So, I'll not be riding for awhile as family comes first. I'm sure I'll have plenty of time sitting in the hospital to read ride reports, so get out there and ride and post up here so I can be envious!

Tim
Family ALWAYS comes first.
"Family are friends you don't have to keep happy to still love you"

Yes, you must do the 370 road from Three Creeks.
No, you do not want to do the 590 road off the East edge of the Mt Washington Wilderness on ANY bike,,...as it is today.....

But, I do wish to see that road opened for bikes by a day's work with a chainsaw....(too narrow/nasty for even a Jeep)
...it IS the border "road" of the Wilderness,... and MUST be exploited !!!

I have a chainsaw,...but no mount on the bike, yet.
Dave (aka: Smiling Jack...) are you IN?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #34
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Madchap,
Thoughts and prayers for your Dads speedy recovery. Riding will always be there and waiting. When you're ready to ride the 370 give me a shout. Ride to Bend, we'll line up a Central Oregon Get Together for some beers and then you can crash at our place. We'll ride the couple of miles of pavement the next morning to get access to the forest roads that'll lead up to the 370. Once on the road we can either go to 3 Creeks or towards Bachelor. It should be open until the snow closes it down in November or December.

Applejam,
I'd be willing to help out clearing that road. There is some amazing terrain in that area that doesn't get visited nearly enough.
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #35
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
Once on the road we can either go to 3 Creeks or towards Bachelor. It should be open until the snow closes it down in November or December.

Applejam,
I'd be willing to help out clearing that road. There is some amazing terrain in that area that doesn't get visited nearly enough.
The road towards Tod Lake was STILL closed, when we were there 1-1/2 weeks ago. Said it would be opened late August

I think that 590 road NEEDS moto-access.
I love Wilderness,...
But I love to ride their borders more than any dirty road around.
UN-IMPROVED, indeed !!

Let's clear that fucker. And keep it narrow, so it's just US that uses it..
Old 09-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #36
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

AJ: Are you talking about 590 or 500? Looking at the Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Map #2 for Deschutes 590 doesn't show as going all the way through. Check out this scan of their map, I circled 590 in red:

Old 09-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #37
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
AJ: Are you talking about 590 or 500? Looking at the Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Map #2 for Deschutes 590 doesn't show as going all the way through. Check out this scan of their map, I circled 590 in red:
Uh, yeah.
That explains some things.
My Sisters Rangeer District map LIED!

See how it is the "border road"?
I want it opened!!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #38
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 480
MadChap,
I couldn't agree more, "Family comes first". May your Dad have a safe and successful surgery and a speedy recovery! My thoughts are with you and your family.

On a side note, what map are you showing in the scan you posted of the Mt. Washington Wilderness? Do you know if it's available online?? I've ridden in that area and run into a lot of dead ends.

Thanks!
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #39
OR400
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Three Creeks

Im not much at posting but Ill ante up. My wife and I 2 up rode around Bend a bit and then headed to Sisters for breakfast with Mom. Cruised up to Three Creeks for a foot soak and I asked her how she was doing. This was monday Labor Day. She said the traffic on 20 was terrifying her and was there another way. Who was I to deny her some dirt, so 2 up on the 950 we go out 370. Most dirt Ive done with her on the back. She was way more relaxed but I was a bit tense at first. Then it just got really fun. Todd Lake road still closed. I think it got trashed early on and I doubt it will open at all. Just an excuse to close another road. One of these days I need to hook up with some of you guys and stop riding solo. Till then
Sprague
OR400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #40
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by OR400 View Post
. Todd Lake road still closed.
Sprague
Sprague;
I was up there today on my new 07 990A. The road is open to the Broken Top trailhead.
Road 380/4601 is barricaded at the junction with 370
I'm available for rides
Richard

'07 990A
'12 Super Tenere
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #41
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I Love big maps and I cannot lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAllWhoWanderRLost View Post

On a side note, what map are you showing in the scan you posted of the Mt. Washington Wilderness? Do you know if it's available online?? I've ridden in that area and run into a lot of dead ends.
NotAll: The maps are available for download here:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/centra...telprdb5318152

Good luck viewing them as they are huge. They are available in printed version as well, however you have to have lots of them to cover an area (9 maps for Deschutes National Forest alone), they are really large maps, super difficult to read without other maps for comparison, are printed on cheap paper. The only good thing about them is that they are FREE both to download and to pick up at a FS office. I've heard you are "required" to have them in your vehicle when riding FS roads.

I'm kind of a map nut. So just for grins I did a comparison of maps for 590 road that AJ mentioned:

Here's the NSF Motor Vehicle Use Map I'll post again:

Here's the NSF regular Deschutes NF map available for $10 from them. I love them as they are printed on really tough, somewhat water resistant paper, but are very large to open up. However by comparison there are lots of roads on the above MVUM that don't show on this map also produced by the FS....what's up with that?

Here is what my Garmin Mapsource software shows. Wow lots of roads and so little time. Lots of these are no longer roads and technically closed because they are not on the MVUM maps.

This is my Benchmark Oregon Atlas. I love this thing also, It typically has the best information on road condition based upon the type of line the roads is drawn in. On this one, you can barely make out a tiny red line that is 590 just south of 500. Rarely, and I mean rarely are the tiny red lines ride-able. The bolder but lighter red dashed lines are typically true off-road type vehicles only, ones I wouldn't take my vstrom on.

And last but not least ...Google Maps. Pales in comparison to others, but is sometimes helpful. Most helpful is the ability to switch to satellite view to see if there really is something there. 590 does show up on this???

Now wasn't that fun. I also have a Delomre Oregon Gazette that I didn't scan. I rarely use it as I find it the least helpful of all.

Bottom line is FS590 doesn't show going all the way through on the Forest Service's MVU map which is the final word on what is legal to ride and what is not.

If someone did decide to do some "clean up" on 590 and accidentally found that it did go through now that would be something fun to ride. Too bad we're all law abiding citizens on here and follow all the FS regs.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #42
OR400
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
[QUOTE=Hootowl;19545185]Sprague;
I was up there today on my new 07 990A.

Congrats on the new bike. Cant wait to see it. Leaving tomorrow for Whistler for a week but lets talk when I get back. I have an overnight plan later in the month.
Sprague
OR400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #43
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 480
Thanks for the map info MadChap! Glad to see I'm not the only one that likes to check out all the different options on the how to get from point A to point B.
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #44
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,795
Uh oh big fire started about 2 hours ago 15 & 1514 road area - that's Squaw and/or Pole creek. 3 creeks and all area campgrounds and trailheads are being evacuated right now

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #45
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
Uh oh big fire started about 2 hours ago 15 & 1514 road area - that's Squaw and/or Pole creek. 3 creeks and all area campgrounds and trailheads are being evacuated right now
This one is going to be ugly. Had a good vantage point on Awbery Butte and it looks like it's buring behind Trout Creek Butte and it's exploding. You could see the wind pushing the smoke column down flat which is a bad sign.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/Pole-Creek-...z/-/index.html

They requested 4 air tankers, but some are going to get diverted to a new fire in the Gifford Pinchot. Red Flag warnings are up for the next couple of days. The dead and down lodgepole in that area is stacked 10' deep in places and it goes on for miles and miles. Could get very scary.
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote