ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #76
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Willow Creek Canyon

Weather reports were saying that Thursday looked to be the last day in the 70's in Madras for the foreseeable future. Rain and cold weather was coming and quick. All day at work I was longingly looking outside. It had rained hard in the last few days and I knew the dust would be minimal and the traction awesome. At 3:00 I couldn't stand it any more and decided to burn a couple comp time hours I had coming and ride!!!!! Woot

I checked in with a couple riding buddies and no one could come out and play. Slow Joe... said he wanted to paint his house instead of ride

So this was going to be a short solo rip. Geared up, fired up the SPOT and headed out. Hmm....where should I go. I hadn't been along the Willow Creek Canyon in about two years, must be time. Would there be much water in the creek after the recent rains? Recon mission established, launch sequence completed...GO.

About 6 awesome two track miles from the house, the first trail to the east rim leads here:

Back out to the main trail......oh here's the powerline road which crosses the canyon. Another out and back but let's check it out.

Trail nearly overgrown

At the powerline crossing I had to walk a little to get the towers lined up for the shot. Man were the powerlines making a racket, snapping and popping:

Looking south, man I'm lucky to have this in my back yard:

Back out the the main trail, continuing south. Should I or shouldn't I, that was the question. The last time I tried the crossing, I laid the bike down and had a really difficult time getting it back up as it was laying with the seat downhill. The vent hose had popped off the gas cap and everything was getting soaked in gas. I didn't want a repeat of that experience. Why did I lay the bike down you ask? Maybe it was the steepness of the trail, maybe it was the basketball size rocks, maybe I was taking it too slow because I didn't want my body to play plinko sliding down the hill bouncing between the rocks.

I really should see if is as steep and rocky as I remember it being. I've become a lot better rider the last two years, maybe I was just wimpy. That's it, I'm going to go show that trail who's the boss.

First reconnaissance, looking down into the abyss:

Yes that's a road down there, don't you see it?

I know the other side isn't too bad. Let's look over the side to see the descent:

Hmm doesn't look too bad, maybe my memory is slipping. I should walk it a ways to be sure:

That's not so bad. I pick a line and climb back to the bike...Maybe this is a little steep:

On the way back to the bike I'm talking to myself. "What if my SPOT doesn't work in the canyon". "Front tire is a little low, should have checked that before I left, what if I get a pinch flat?" "I didn't bring my Camelbac with the tire pump." "The little DR need to prove to herself that she can do this" "It's not that bad"

As I crest the rise and see the bike, she's telling me "let's do this". How can I refuse her after all she's done for me.

First part, not too bad. Back brake is grabbing too much, certainly can't be me causing that...Whew, made it the first 1/3 of the way and look back:

Looking forward, I can easily make this next section.

But then I get to "THE" section. Hmmm, maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Certainly can't turn around. Pics are blury, I may or may not have been shaking just a little bit...

Time to park the bike and scout this section.

If it wasn't so seep, I could pick my way through the bolders and steps, but man, it's steep. They say discretion is the better part of valor and I being a man of great valor choose to walk the bike down this section rather than fall down it.

I get to the bottom and take some pics with my helmet on the trail for some perspective:

The black on the rocks is from rock crawlers trying their hand at the canyon. Look carefully and you can barely see the top of my helmet in this pic:

Once I get to the bottom, it's cool and beautiful down here. I just take it in and remind myself that this is why I love to ride motorsicles and especially in central Oregon.

The ride out was nothing after that and I took fun dirt/gravel roads home. Only gone 1.5 hrs and 29 miles, but what a fun adventure in my back yard.

Hope you all get some in before the snow flys.

Tim
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #77
Slow Joe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Clarification

I did not say I would rather PAINT than RIDE! And for the record that canyon is much more fun if you ride it the other direction......

SLOW Joe
Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #78
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Hehehehe
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #79
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer: 326
Steep canyon!

Looks like you had some fun out there! I especially liked that last pic
LittlePosum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #80
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

From Bend to Hart Mt the dirty way

Day 1~ This ride all started with a plan to leave last Monday mid morning... The first delay was having to go pick my old beater Mercedes that broke down on me the night before up on the grade just north of Warm Springs. I guess thats what I get for driving a car!
Alright! Lets go, the motos are all loaded up and we're off! Some time around 3pm...

We only get 12 miles out and Mr Dual Sport's bike suddenly stops and just won't start up again. Right on the trail he opens up the belly of the beast for some exploratory surgery and finds a faulty stock wire solder. Does a few fixes. After its all back together the bike still won't start and its starting to get dark and rain.

Always sad to see a broke down motorcycle.
Later back in the garage...

New stator and not flooded engine and two beers and the bike fires right up!
Old 10-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #81
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Day 2

Tuesday morning was absolutely beautiful we got an early start. The dirt was was saturated by the rain fall and made for perfect riding conditions! We made our way south east through the desert and made a stop in Christmas Valley.

After a little bit of real off road bush wack'n and fence duck'n we found a new route to avoid the power line road.

Black Rocks riding area

Down this road and over that ridge the Fandango Canyon awaits!

Fuel and beer stop at Plush before we charge up to the top of the mountain.

Amazing sunset on the way up.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:42 AM   #82
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Day 3

Burrrrr! It got frosty up there! This was when we decided that it would be really great to have your own trained moto monkey to make the hot coffee in the morning.

Too cold to start riding so we took a soak in the hot springs.

Even my camera was too cold to take a clear picture! Pretty colors at camp. Time to pack up and ride back after a breakfast bacon cheese burger stop of course.

It was a fun ride back to town but I wish I could have stayed out a few more days!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #83
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,407
Bend to Hart Mountain the Dirty Way Continued!

I'm going to skip next to day 2 since my bike caused day 1 to be very short!

Day 2.
We lucked out with all the rain Monday night and had perfect coco dirt to ride on!

Ford road and LittlePosum

Took 2 track the majority of the way to Green Mountain and headed to Christmas Valley for nachos and a chimichanga, then crossed the highway and headed for Fandango. No More Poof Dust!!!

Beam of light on Dizzzer at Black Rock

Riding through the rocks

The sunset was awesome on the way up to the Hot Springs

The Hot Springs were very welcoming with the temps plummeting!

Day 3

This trip was way too short!!! LittlePosum made coffee and oatmeal, then we sat in the springs until the sun melted the frost away. Wanted to get up early and explore but it was way too cold.

Had Bacon Cheesburgers for breaklunch at Plush

Headed back on Hogback

And some 2 track toward CV

After that we hauled ass back to Bend and stopped taking pics. LittlePosum had to get to work and I made a wrong turn somewhere!

In all a very memorable and awesome trip!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #84
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePosum View Post
Warm overcast October day. We got into some deep dust off of the 41 on our way down Waldo. This place needs some rain.
Fun road through an old burn. Took the 6010 to and 2154 for lunch break at the Timpanogas snow shelter. Nice views out there.
Then headed back up north on the 23 toward Oakridge after refueling and recaffeinating we took the 19 up to 26 and the old 242 toward home.
Good days ride!
I've got a few pics!
What LittlePosum didn't mention was that the ride from FS19 then over 242 was in the dark with drizzle showers! I've never ridden over McKenzie at night in the drizzle before that. Pretty fun actually!

Saw some amazing fall colors on this trip. The FS road back to Oakridge had stunning views and fall colors. Sorry, no pics of that, was getting late.

Waldo

Somewhere close to Timpanogas

That's all folks!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #85
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Nicely done folks! Madchap I wanna see that area. Posum and Mr.DS, I swear, big reward if you find my wedding ring in that hot springs. We were heading over to the west side and saw Ms. Posum gassing up (at least I think it was you) on Newport...

Might get a chance to sneak out tomorrow and help COTA ride in some new trail with the moto
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:39 AM   #86
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
If it wasn't so steep, I could pick my way through the bolders and steps, but man, it's steep. They say discretion is the better part of valor and I being a man of great valor choose to walk the bike down this section rather than fall down it.

I get to the bottom and take some pics with my helmet on the trail for some perspective:

Hope you all get some in before the snow flys.
Pics are hard to make roads look steep. I usually get home, unload the pics,
and then some disappointment that the big gnarly hill you took a pic of, looks like a walk in the park at 3x5 inches.

You did a pretty dang good job in your pic.
That road (????) looks steep !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dual Sport View Post

........That's all folks!
Thanks for the reports LittlePossum and Mr Dual Sport
October hit Hood River hard today, and it rained pretty much all day/night.
Pouring hard on the metal roof now as I write this.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #87
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 477
Laugh The dirt's awesome out there!

We made a big loop between the river and Bachelor yesterday and the dirt is amazing up there right now! Velcro like traction and NO dust! I love Fall riding in Central Oregon!

Were heading back up there today if anyone is interested in joining in the fun. Will probably head out around 11, send me a PM if you wanna go.
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #88
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAllWhoWanderRLost View Post
We made a big loop between the river and Bachelor yesterday and the dirt is amazing up there right now! Velcro like traction and NO dust! I love Fall riding in Central Oregon!

Were heading back up there today if anyone is interested in joining in the fun. Will probably head out around 11, send me a PM if you wanna go.
Rock it! It is raining in Redmond now and I am thinking of heading towards Kline to enjoy some traction!
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #89
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Tim: fantastic photos - you are a lucky guy to have that countryside so close to ride. And I know how poorly photos show the steepness of a trail, but you did it!

Thanks for posting....beautiful stuff.

Mark
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #90
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Hey guys, snuck out last Sunday with my buddy James and had a really nice ride. Intent was to recon the Pole Creek fire but we ran into a bit of this on top of Three Creeks Butte.

Snow storm let up for a second and we could see Tam MacArthur Rim.

Pole Creek Fire had flaired up a bit to the NW but I'll bet that didn't last long...

Ran to Three Creeks Highway and got to see lots of fire lines where the FS firefighters had done battle. Snowing pretty good on the way over 370.

Fun ride back into town, almost like being at Baja with spectators, there were so many wood cutters out there.
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote