ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #106
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydosque View Post
November, I am unsure of where and how high we will want to go... Looks like some great riding in the Ochocos; Alvord Desert looks promising.
I'd camp here just west of Terrebonne on the rim above the DesChutes and do rides from camp. Lots to see, the probability of good weather is the greatest and there's a fuel station not too far away. Minimal driving, plenty of solitude and a mini-desert experience.

I'll ride out to pick up the tequila!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #107
ydosque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
hey thanks much for the tip - that looks like just the spot - are there designated camp spots there west of Terrebonne - or is it open BLM/FS land? Also found a tip on camping near Smith Rocks, off of Lone Pine and NF 1395. I'll drop you a line of where we end up so you can collect on your Fortaleza Blanco -

We'll plan to ride east one day, into the Ochochos, looks like plenty of places to get lost - any must do loops you FF's can recommend? Lookout Mountain? Heading over to the map store this weekend -

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
I'd camp here just west of Terrebonne on the rim above the DesChutes and do rides from camp. Lots to see, the probability of good weather is the greatest and there's a fuel station not too far away. Minimal driving, plenty of solitude and a mini-desert experience.

I'll ride out to pick up the tequila!

Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
ydosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #108
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,238
Quote:
hey thanks much for the tip - that looks like just the spot - are there designated camp spots there west of Terrebonne - or is it open BLM/FS land? Also found a tip on camping near Smith Rocks, off of Lone Pine and NF 1395. I'll drop you a line of where we end up so you can collect on your Fortaleza Blanco -

We'll plan to ride east one day, into the Ochochos, looks like plenty of places to get lost - any must do loops you FF's can recommend? Lookout Mountain? Heading over to the map store this weekend -
I really like it up in the Maury Mountains around Antelope Reservoir. Then along Klootchman Creek and Bear Creek over to the Prineville Reservoir and back to Prineville through the canyon. Lot's of great views.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #109
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
I'm back from Palm Springs. I put 350 miles on the rented Goldwing in about 8 hours. fun times!!

Here's my general route. Zoom in and checkout some of those awesome roads!! I made a wrong turn out of Temecula and had to retrace my route to get back on track.

http://goo.gl/maps/nUkas

Here's a video (not mine) of the S6 Palomar road. It was so incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn8tAH-Smek

The wing was a good choice compared to the HD's that were my other options. Wished I had my V-Strom as there were some dirt roads just begging to be ridden.

Didn't take any pictures worth sharing. Just rode the whole time with as few breaks as necessary.
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #110
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

That is where you nice folks come in! - I've been to Bend 1/2 a dozen times for softball tournaments - but have not had the chance to do any riding in this part of the state - I've been scouring the ride reports trying to find a good spot for us to ride/camp/drink, etc... but now that we are into November, I am unsure of where and how high we will want to go... Looks like some great riding in the Ochocos; Alvord Desert looks promising. It looks as though there are hundreds of places to camp and ride between Madras, Prineville, Bend, etc... (depending on weather forecast, we plan to camp, but if it's lookin real wet or snowy, i am not above doing day trips out of a hotel room somewhere...

So, throw out a few of your favorite spots, trail/ Forest road loops, etc - winner will get your choice of top shelf scotch, bourbon or tequila - which we will have in tow!
West of Terrebonne is cool. It's completely dry camping, wherever you choose to pitch the tent. Green Ridge probably got snow last night, but the weather is suppose to be warm and it will probably melt.

If you are wanting an actual camping area with maybe a toilet and some water, you might look at:

Haystack Reservoir. It's close to Henderson Flats ATV area, Terrebonne, Madras and Prineville for fuel and food. Has good riding right out of the tent. From Haystack you've got so many good places to ride as some of the others have posted on here. You can head north, catch Ashwood road to Ashwood then head south on Trout Creek to the Ochocoo's. Or stay heading east from Ashwood, check Horse heaven mine, Painted Hills, Mitchell for gas ....and on and on.

I think I've posted earlier on this thread some of those areas.

PM me if you want more ideas.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #111
ydosque
Adventurer

Thumb

Thanks much for the all the tips - the weather window is currently looking favorable! I've got a few excellent options for rides mapped out, thanks to your suggestions. Nice back yard you guys have - Any fatal flaws on these ideas (i.e. any chance snow/fires have messed up these routes?)

Ride 1: Maury's - Prineville Res, Little Bear Creek, Roberts Rd, Kootchman Creek, Newsome Creek (to the Geographic center of OR!). back to 380. Looks like we can skoot around the north side of Prineville Res back to 27.

Ride 2a: Ashwood, Trout Creek, FS27, to FS 33 back to 26 or:
Ride 2b: Ashwood, Trout Creek, FS27, to Ochoco Pass, Mitchell for gas, then south through maybe Big Summit area /Paulina- time permitting/.
Ride 2c: Ashwood, Gosner (I saw that road just got graded, dammit), Twickenham, MItchell, then south through maybe Big Summit area /Paulina - time permitting.

Camping spots central to these rides we've honed in on include:

West of Terrbonne - Dechutes River
Smith Rock campgrounds off of Lone Pine
Haystack Res.
Crooked Canyon Campgrounds - Castle Rock to Big Bend Campgrounds... .

Any recommendations between these options on which spot to camp? -

Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #112
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I just rode out and checked to make sure....Haystack East is closed for the winter. Haystack West is open. No water (except the lake), pit toilets. Not the prettiest of camping areas, squeezed between the road and the lake.

Smith Rock is walk in camping only. 200 yards from your bike to your tent. I wouldn't recommend that.

Skull Hollow is open. Pit toilets, no water. It's off Lone Pine rd. Real quiet out there.

A lot depends on if you are trailering the bikes and carrying extra gas and water or you need a gas station close by.

Considering the routes you are looking at, I'd camp along the Crooked River below Bowman Dam. There's a bunch of campgrounds, most have water, all have toilets. Prineville isn't that far away for fuel, but it's all slab. It's a beautiful place for camping.

Prineville to Madras is mostly slab, unless you ride the powerlines, which are a lot of fun, but slow and there's one pretty deep water crossing, but it's not very far across. I'm not sure if the Grasslands are closed to vehicles yet. They close it every year. The dispersed camping above the Crooked river west of Terrebonne is in the Grasslands. Not saying anyone would hassle you, but I've heard they do give tickets.

Gosner road did get graded, but it's not a big road by any means. Still single lane and very little if any gravel. I rode Gosner, to Bridge Creek, to the Twickingham cutoff. The cutoff was awesome. South on Girds creek road is a fun piece of slab.

Any of the route you've chosen are good ones. Trout creek is more fun with water in it. It was dry a couple weeks ago, but may have some water after the rain.

If you choose Haystack, let me know and I'll ride out and bring my maps.

Tim
Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #113
ydosque
Adventurer

Crooked River is it - it looks like a great place to camp, and pretty close to the rides we want to do -

So, Mad Chap, Mr. Dual Sport, Wachs - as promised, come by the camp TH, FR or SA and have a tumbler or 3 of some top shelf hooch - the valuable information you guys have offered up to share is worthy of all that -

Now if you can arrange to pay the weatherman to keep the white stuff off the ground until after sunday - all will be real good -

Old 11-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #114
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,166
Quote:
Crooked River is it - it looks like a great place to camp, and pretty close to the rides we want to do -
And....to seal the deal is that the Crooked River BLM Campgrounds are free March 31 - Nov 1

Check out Cimney Rock CG site #1, it shelters you from the wind a bit at that very end.......

(We've made an annual there at Spring Break in late March, we'll be back again this March)
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #115
Dr Klaun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
And....to seal the deal is that the Crooked River BLM Campgrounds are free March 31 - Nov 1

Check out Chimney Rock CG site #1, it shelters you from the wind a bit at that very end.......

(We've made an annual there at Spring Break in late March, we'll be back again this March)

+1 on this site (it's at the north end). Have camped there many times over the years!

96 R1100RSL (red)
08 TE610
Dr Klaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #116
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,759
Quote:
So, Mad Chap, Mr. Dual Sport, Wachs - as promised, come by the camp TH, FR or SA and have a tumbler or 3 of some top shelf hooch
oh geez - better bring my gear then.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #117
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey ydosque: You buried is snow? Hope you guys are OK. Plenty of snow last night. Riding might be a little tough
Old 11-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #118
ydosque
Adventurer

We got a few inches. Not too bad. We attempted to make it to antelope flat res. Yesterday But ran into a small blizzard
at the top of kamloochtka rd. so Ended up just running north out to 130 as conditions were going to shit fast. Was a cold ass ride back to prineville! Warmed up with a stout and shot of Tillamore Dew at Solstice Brewery before heading back to camp. Off to get more wood !

Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #119
ydosque
Adventurer

Crooked Canyon Camp out -

Camped out last weekend at Chimney Rock CG - Ended up riding just one day, due to the Arctic blast that blew through, but we had a good time, ate very good, drank too much (or just enough). Had campground almost to ourselves - had a steady stream of fly fishermen wading up the creek -

made sure we loaded up with calories for the cold Friday ride - so we loaded up with green chile bacon egg burritos, and a few to go...

Water left out on the table was frozen, temps i dont think got much above 35 all weekend, and was down into 20's each night, so we layered up for our ride -

We headed south up the canyon to little bear creek road - plenty of flurries, but nothing sticking - except the dirt -

Once we turned up Kamloothcka Road started to get frozen ground and inch - thick white stuff -

And the turn off at the top to Antelope Flat was not looking good - especially since it was degrading fast into white out conditions

Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #120
ydosque
Adventurer

So, sign says 11 miles to Antelope Flat Res. 10 miles to hwy 130... and it was snowing pretty hard -

cold fingers, but riding buddy had long lost feeling in his toes... so we opted to get down, and back to camp via Prineville.. (tried to embed a video here, but can't find the 'embed' tool/switch....

Back in Prineville we stopped at the Solstice Brewery - for a stout and a shot of Tillamore Dew, and to thaw out a little -

Great spot - excellent food, great beer on tap - talked with Joe the Brewer - they are about to fire up their first batch - should be brewing Prineville's best in a few weeks.

We rolled back to camp at dusk - dodging back tails all the way - fired up the fire, and cooked up an awesome NY steak, taters, salad, beer, wine, Maker's, Fortaleza tequila (it's not cold....), (or we were numb...)