User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #16
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 778
Day 3 (186km): Alberto is moving

Another fantastic night spent camping in Washington State, dare I say perfect conditions. Our campsite was nicely shaded by some large trees, but from the small sections that were in sunlight we could tell it was going to be warm again today. We decided to take a proactive approach today so Alberto soaked his shirt in the creek before we left. We also soaked our Umus.

We quickly rejoined the WABRD and headed up into the hills. The morning consisted of mostly forest riding, and to be honest wasn't very enjoyable. It was a bit too technical for my taste. It wasn't super hard, but it was challenging 100% of the time and it took all my concentration. I couldn't really relax at all to just enjoy the ride and scenery. I'd prefer a 60:40 ratio instead.

I know it's getting old but: another sunny & beautiful day!

And the view

I had a disagreement with a rut and bailed badly. My bike landed on my foot and I was pinned in the middle of the road. Thankfully the G9s allowed me to yell at Alberto that I had fallen and that my bike was lying on my foot. I completely lost the back end and the rear tire came around and the bike fell over. I didn't even really have a chance to react because before I knew it I was lying on the ground. I escaped injury free, to my surprise. A big thanks to my Klim jacket and my Sidi boots no doubt. The fall kind of made me a little more hesitant throughout the rest of the morning.

Snapshots from a video Alberto made of the incident:

'a cloud of dust, the bike is down, case is off but... where is Naomi!

There she is!

Bike was resting on her foot: OUCH!

In a bit of pain

Fortunately, the SIDI Adventure boots did their job of protecting the foot/ankle

The road surface ranged from sandy, to rocky, to rutted, to gravel. It wasn't really too bad, but it was consistent and never let off. We met 3 other dirt bikes coming the opposite direction at the worst possible time. It was a corner and a very rocky section. To the right was a sheer cliff and the right track had more rocks so I was sticking to the left, which was more or less clear. Unfortunately the 3 dirt bikers appeared from nowhere and I was having a hard time wrestling my bike through the rocks and into the right part of the road as I could barely get a tip toe down. I must have looked like a complete noob. It was very awkward but we survived.

More interesting forest

That's where we're going

Nice one!

Lively colours

The WABDR

and zoomed in

Mi Gringa bella

Down below is Chelan

It was getting hotter and hotter on our way down to Chelan

Naomi not enjoying the road surface too much

There she goes

More wonderful vistas (find Naomi)

Almost there!

As I said the morning was a bit stressful so when we hit the pavement north of Chelan I was quite happy. The city of Chelan took us by surprise, we even started calling it the Kelowna of WA. Really fancy houses along the lake, and lots of boats out on the water. Despite the heat I think Alberto is plotting a strategy to relocate there, he liked what he saw: pretty girls, nice houses, amazing lake... It was also Alberto's birthday today so we stopped for a fancy lunch at Safeway haha. Hey there was AC!

Chelan: the Kelowna of USA

Some of Chelan's 'humble' casas

Lunch time! and Naomi's favourite chicken strips: SAFEWAYs!

My bday meal! ... looks like a child's foot

Chelan's lake looked SO INVITING!

When I get 'this look' it's time to stop taking photos and get moving

After lunch we followed the gps around the other side of the lake and then back on the dirt. The temperature got a little out of hand and we were happy to be gaining some elevation back on the dirt roads. I enjoyed the riding in the second part of the day much more. The road required less attention and the scenery was better. There was plenty to enjoy.

Back to the mountains

Forest fire in the distance

Leaving Chelan behind

Seeking shade

Yet another 'photo stop'

Wonderful views all around

Zoom zoom

I like this one!

Find Naomi... again

We'll be on that road in 35 minutes

Naomi liked this section more than the morning one, you can see why

Part of the road heading down

37C for US Canadians (and Peruvians) is HOT! (99F) - Note to self: need to do an oil change after the WABDR

The heat of the day was getting to me though. My eyes hurt from all the hot air blowing at my face and I was feeling very fatigued. It was hard to concentrate and maneuver the bike. I was trying to stay hydrated but I eventually ran out of water. I've never been so happy to see a campground. We barely brought the bikes to a stop before we were stripping off our gear and running into the river. What a glorious feeling.

After feeling human again we set up camp and made some dinner. Another great campsite!

First things first: cool down!

The water was 'perfectly' cold

That's better

My turn!

What a birthday! couldn't be better than this

I thought the texture of the tree was neat

Camping!

Welcome to our deluxe suite ...mi casa es tu casa

A room with a view

And to end the day: a couple of river shots

'...te digo que como el pasto crecemos el verano
y que despues nos vamos... como el agua...'
(Piero, Piel de Diciembre)

betitolara screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 10:46 PM
betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #17
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,569
Great stuff you two. Sunny days never get old! The heat on the other hand does.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #18
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
I am in for this RR as I was for your South America trip. Nice pictures and narrative like always. Stay safe out there!

[/QUOTE]'...te digo que como el pasto crecemos el verano
y que despues nos vamos... como el agua...'
(Piero, Piel de Diciembre)[/QUOTE]

Eso es la pura verdad. La vida nos pasa si no la aprovechamos. Suerte hermano!!!

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #19
naotweed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Great stuff you two. Sunny days never get old! The heat on the other hand does.
It sure does. very true.
naotweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #20
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Love the picture of you Alberto in the river...and the heat does get old but we are prepared next time with cooling vests
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #21
funrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Got to say those pictures of the two of you in the river look very refreshing after a hot days riding. Wow what a great campsite! Lara looks as if the Cold water had taken her breath away and Alberto looks like he's just happy cooling to his core. You guys know how to pick the weather.
funrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
I am in for this RR as I was for your South America trip. Nice pictures and narrative like always. Stay safe out there!

'...te digo que como el pasto crecemos el verano y que despues nos vamos... como el agua...' (Piero, Piel de Diciembre)

Eso es la pura verdad. La vida nos pasa si no la aprovechamos. Suerte hermano!!!

Later
John
Asi es mi hermano! si no hacemos de la vida una aventura, entonces que queda?
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Love the picture of you Alberto in the river...and the heat does get old but we are prepared next time with cooling vests
We also have a pair of cooling vests.. they were SO GREAT in Central America. We even went a step further and used to put the wet vests in the freezer (when we stayed @ motels/hotels that had a fridge available) and put them on in the mornings RIGHT BEFORE rolling away
Quote:
Originally Posted by funrider View Post
Got to say those pictures of the two of you in the river look very refreshing after a hot days riding. Wow what a great campsite! Lara looks as if the Cold water had taken her breath away and Alberto looks like he's just happy cooling to his core. You guys know how to pick the weather.
Funny because you almost never see Naomi (Lara is my last name btw ) jumping in the water. It takes a lot of uncomfortably high body temperature for her to get in the water. I love it when she does tho.

And yes, the water was very cold but it felt really amazing to cool down so fast
Thanks for sharing your comments funrider!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #23
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by betitolara View Post

[B][CENTER]Maybe if we stare at the tyre long enough the bead will break on its own.... (Andi aka TwoMotoKiwi & Alberto)
Hey I recognize that dodgy dude ... and you know what I tried to out steer that tyre but it made no difference ... the armstrong method won but to be fair it came off and the new one went on easy as.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betitolara View Post
Andi working on his trusted (?) DR650
Did the oil change and found some baddies in the bowl, not so trusted DR now with full casing replacements, bearings and 3rd gear etc.

1 month of our 3 months in the USA lost to bike repairs

Anyway you two mint ride report and outstanding photo as usual, Naomi glad your decking didn't take you out of action eh.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #24
DonovanM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Wow, amazing pics and ride report guys!
DonovanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #25
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Hey I recognize that dodgy dude ... and you know what I tried to out steer that tyre but it made no difference ... the armstrong method won but to be fair it came off and the new one went on easy as.

Did the oil change and found some baddies in the bowl, not so trusted DR now with full casing replacements, bearings and 3rd gear etc.

1 month of our 3 months in the USA lost to bike repairs

Anyway you two mint ride report and outstanding photo as usual, Naomi glad your decking didn't take you out of action eh.
Hope you guys get on your way soon! mucha suerte para los dos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
Wow, amazing pics and ride report guys!
Gracias!

I'm sorting out the shots from day 4. More to come tomorrow!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #26
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Thanks for sharing

Have a safe trip, you two are amazing
Subscribed
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #27
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post
Have a safe trip, you two are amazing
Subscribed

Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #28
soph9
Bike Addict

^
Old 08-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #29
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Day 4 (242km): Commitment

Despite the fact that it didn't really cool down overnight we were treated to some cloud cover this morning. The temperature was holding strong at 20, which is considered pretty good these days. Just to be safe though we soaked down our clothes before we left. It was a really nice camping spot. The sound of the river was so loud it almost drowned out our cooking stove in the morning.

Yummy and energy boosting breakfast

We had to do a tiny bit of backtracking to get back on the route. No worries, it was much nicer today than in the 37 degree heat yesterday afternoon. The riding this morning was really fun, not too challenging and not too hot. Lots of great scenery to enjoy. We ran into two other bikers going north on the WABDR, and we all stopped to have quick chat. Shortly after, the ominous clouds we had been looking at during the morning decided to break loose. We got rained on, but only briefly. The experience was actually very refreshing and welcomed.

A good start of the day.... but this time it's overcast!

Panoramas

Careful with that rut!

Leaving the asphalt down behind

Going up up up...

Just north of Cashmere we stopped for a roadside lunch feast. So far I have managed to drop my bike every day this trip. What a rookie. Today I ran over a log while turning around. It kicked my back tire out and I couldn't keep the weight of the bike upright. Down we went.

In Cashmere we stopped for some gas and then continued on our way. Kind of a neat little town though. We saw an apple factory letting a large bunch of workers out for lunch break, it was a strange sight (Alberto: pretty much all the workers looked latinos - mexicans? - it really hits you seeing that because you'll never see that up in Canada). Lots of fruit trees as we drove out of town to rejoin the WABDR. We didn't make it very far before we encountered a road closed sign. We thought we had things figured out but it turned out that Garmin wasn't smart enough to find a detour. We had several failed atempts to meet up with our waypoints from Wenatchee, before we finally succeeded. It was looking a bit dire there for a moment or two but we soldiered on. Nothing more motivating than getting to avoid Amercian Highways.

Nomi in blanco y negro

We bump into a couple of fellow ADVers (their WABDR RR here)

We even got some rain (after a while!)

We stopped @ a nice view point spot

Looking good eh?

One more look @ the map... why not eh?

Cool mountains in the background

A close up

Great views all around

You can tell I was happy

Going for a little hike

Almost there!

It was a glorious spot

Some of the views

Still raining where we came from earlier

B&W for good measure

Thankfully we were able to get back on the route because it was one of our favorite sections so far. The riding was a mix of easy and challenging, and there was plenty of stunning views to feast the eyes on. We had tons of fun. Even the paved section at the end had some really fun switchbacks. Knee down? We also saw two owls today, one of which was a monster. I've never seen owls in the wild so I thought it was pretty cool. Amazing creatures.

Some of the fun sections

Wait for me!

Wide open

All 'geared up'

Naomi still riding head

I like this one

And this one too

Lunch break!

Another AMAZING view point

And some more views from that spot

La Gringa en lo mas alto

YET AGAIN: one more sweet view point for some decent photos

Staring @ the abysm

Naomi has some skills with the camera!

Just beautiful

It's nice to just sit and enjoy the views

We decided to go kamping in Ellensburg for the night. A nice dose of civilization at the local KOA had us feeling as good as new again. Amazing what some Subway and showers can do for the spirit. As the night progressed a storm rolled in and what followed was the craziest cloud formations I have ever seen. It quite honestly looked fake. Only a few drops fell on us so we got lucky, but the sky looked amazing and I feel sorry for however did get that storm.

Why camping @ KOA: shower, recharge electronics, WiFi, Subway

While @ KOA we saw the craziest clouds

It looked like it was going to rain but it never did

And a couple more with the GoPro

Old 08-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #30
soph9
Bike Addict

are you knocking KOA's???? Beautiful.....absolutely beautiful!