User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #61
jackattack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thumb The Fire

The burn area you passed through was from the 2006 Tripod complex fire. I burned pretty much the whole summer and up into BC. It was the largest fire in the US during 2006. I am impressed that you rode the Chopaka road, Scary even in a car.
jackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #62
K0ncept
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
You are tough as nails!! Not many women have what you have... And riding that heavy of a bike with that much stuffed on it....

Great Report you guys!! Naomi we need them to clone a few more of you and send one my way

Beee Safe out there and please keep the reports coming!! Great Stuff!

K0ncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #63
Trek68
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Great report. Thoroughly enjoying it!!
Trek68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #64
naotweed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0ncept View Post
You are tough as nails!! Not many women have what you have... And riding that heavy of a bike with that much stuffed on it....

Great Report you guys!! Naomi we need them to clone a few more of you and send one my way

Beee Safe out there and please keep the reports coming!! Great Stuff!

Thanks for the support. I have a sister haha
naotweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #65
DetoX68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Just found this report, I love it.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #66
K0ncept
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by svensmanager View Post
Thanks for the support. I have a sister haha
a Twin? that rides also? heheheh PERFECT...
K0ncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #67
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,281
Wow guys! What a ride!!

Simply awesome views, and I have to say, you guys have WAY more tolerance for bashing your bikes on the ground than I do....lol...I was mad at myself for throwing my GSA down once!

And yeah Naomi, you should start a training academy for single women who want to snag themselves real prize catches like ADV'ers!

But no, seriously....

Have a great ride, will be checking back to read more!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #68
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
We did that route at the beginning of August I remember all the scenery in your photos. The baby head sized rocks on the section that was never ending lava rock was miserable. F800GS with an extra 120lbs is not a place to ride that shit. We were all happy to get through the ball bearings. Love the fat rattle snakes at the bottom after the road and through the two gates over the bridge. That made us stop and recharge in Yakima. 37c was very hot and miserable. The washout and tree comming up was sketchy. LOL.

Ride safe
Old 09-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #69
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Talking

Awesome adventure! Thanks for posting all the wonderful pics!
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #70
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by svensmanager View Post
Thanks for the support. I was really impressed with the quality map for the WABDR. It quite literally saved the day many times. Next time I need a map I will be going to the Butler website
sweet. thanks for the kind words!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #71
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 783
Day 6 (223km): Easy way out

After what had transpired yesterday we obviously chose to use the easier alternative route this morning. The description said that the difficult part was rutted and my shoulder just couldn't handle anything too rough. It was sore, I had a small range of motion but for the most part I could ride my bike without issue.

We first made a detour to get some gas, and then we joined the WABDR. This little section was almost half paved which under the circumstances was quite welcome. It was a twisty little mountain road that went along the side of a valley. There was some cool basalt rock formations to see but mostly just your standard forestry roads. It was gravelly in sections and a bit too much washboard for me in my condition but we just took it easy. Nothing seems hard now after the pain we endured yesterday.

Juice for our Iron Horses

We all like pretty flowers, right?

Once again, the day started with some nice vistas

close up

The valley down below

Naomi getting ready to roll

At some point Garmin decided to stop displaying the waypoints, we don't know why and we never got them back. So we just picked the roads that were heading back out to the highway. We are not sure if we left the WABDR or not but the roads were nice. We passed these two older gentlemen sitting at the side of the road in their lawn chairs, beside their camper vans. They were so friendly; they gave a wave and a tip of the hat. Those guys were probably the highlight of the morning haha

The paved road was nice, highway 12, as it skirted around some nice lakes. We ended up getting stuck in a construction line-up for like 20min, but it sounds like we made out okay as some people were there for almost 45min. We were cruising throughout the twisties and then suddenly when we came around one corner there it was, bam in your face, Mt. Ranier. We had to stop for a picture. The volcano is impressive and from the viewpoint it feels very close. After the picture break we continued southward to Packwood. I was feeling kind of lazy and wanted to stop for a meal in Packwood. I didn't feel like eating my own snacks today. I said to Alberto that I couldn't come to the US and not have a burger, so we stopped at the self-proclaimed best burger place in town. I was happy with my lunch but Alberto was less than impressed. It seemed like a popular place though, and the break was welcomed.

bits of twisty pavement

Mt. Ranier view point

Close

Closer

Clouds lingering @ the base of the volcano

A 'dream' effect for a dream view

More smooth & curvy stuff

Even the license plate was part of the previous day's carnage

Burger time @ Packwoods!

Naomi really liked her order! (me? not so much)

Back down the road and our Garmin was still on strike and not giving us waypoints. We got lost and then checked the paper map to get us going on the right track. We had to use a combination of the paper map and the roads shown in Garmin. It was actually pretty easy to navigate in this area. There were lots of signs, and it was a pretty busy area too (we saw lots of other vehicles). Some really nice horsey country and campgrounds along the way. Lots of exploring to do in this area.

Nice riding area indeed

Yes, you guessed right: Nomi is looking at her precious map

Another nice spot to enjoy

Both in the same photo!

What a view!

Looking for a place to camp

Chasing Naomi

Some not-so-smooth pavement

This recreation area was kind of cool, there are tons of backroads but also random paved sections of road. We ended up on this really twisty nicely surfaced paved road. We were the only ones there and I think I could hear Alberto yelling woooo in his helmet as he negotiated the sweet corners. We ended up stopping in a really empty campground near Trout Lake for the night. Just how we like it.

Alberto L. vs Albert E.

A nice camping site to finish day 6

With easy access to fresh water!

Trying to get Garminio to cooperate

Doing some bike maintenance

Air filter didn't look too bad... cleaned it anyways

Good night.... Irene

betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #72
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouratechUSA View Post
Thanks for sharing
THANK YOU for all the great stuff you guys make including the sponsorship of the WABDR, OBDR, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
The burn area you passed through was from the 2006 Tripod complex fire. I burned pretty much the whole summer and up into BC. It was the largest fire in the US during 2006. I am impressed that you rode the Chopaka road, Scary even in a car.
No wonder why we passed through endless burnt forests on our way south. The Chopaka rd is near the Canadian border - if I remember right - ... it was steep, dusty and a bit rocky but nothing like the Umtanum Ridge / Baby Head Hill.
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek68 View Post
Great report. Thoroughly enjoying it!!
muchas gracias!
Old 09-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #73
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetoX68 View Post
Just found this report, I love it.
We love reading our own RRs as well we plan on turning them into photo books for our coffee table
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0ncept View Post
a Twin? that rides also? heheheh PERFECT...
Nikki (Naomi's younger sister) also rides! she has a Katana 750 and this summer rode up to the Yukon Territories on it ... she has some crazy adventure stories to tell and a few 'scars' on her Katana's fairing
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
...you guys have WAY more tolerance for bashing your bikes on the ground than I do....lol...I was mad at myself for throwing my GSA down once!
That's what the crash bars are for ... and like Charlie Boorman says 'if you ain't crashing, you ain't trying'
Old 09-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #74
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho911 View Post
We did that route at the beginning of August I remember all the scenery in your photos. The baby head sized rocks on the section that was never ending lava rock was miserable. F800GS with an extra 120lbs is not a place to ride that shit. We were all happy to get through the ball bearings. Love the fat rattle snakes at the bottom after the road and through the two gates over the bridge. That made us stop and recharge in Yakima. 37c was very hot and miserable. The washout and tree comming up was sketchy. LOL.

Ride safe
The lava rocks were a bit uncomfortable to land on when I went flying over the handlebars .... a few times

For us, mere mortals, the F8GS was a bit too big and heavy (loaded up) for a couple of the WABDR sections but for more experienced riders it might not be an issue
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
Awesome adventure! Thanks for posting all the wonderful pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
sweet. thanks for the kind words!
De nada!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #75
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,848
Great stuff as always

I still remember your panniers from the time you were in Chiapas, definitely one of a kind and difficult to forget

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote