Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 02:51 AM   #31
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo2010 View Post
Yet, but my ancient POS did ok except for me rushing putting it back togeather and getting the tip breather wrong. Otherwise it did not miss a beat and needed little attention.
My original thought was ride something you would enjoy and that would not break down. If you enjoy posties than yer. It's still a lot of km to do every day
Anyway, like I said, just a crazy thought of mine
Damo, don't get me wrong, I'm full of admiration for scrap heap guys. I'd dip my lid to someone who rode a scrapheap for a 7500k fortnight. That is a really big
deal.

Me, absolutely no interest in making the APC harder. If I wanted a difficult challenge I'd walk the Simpson or something.

YMMV

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #32
mrwocky117
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
older bikes

I'm with you Ross. I enjoy the 690, & i'll be using it again. But.......... would be nice to see a few xr6's and a couple of TT600's going around.
mrwocky117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #33
booked609
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Just stumbled onto this thread. Did the APC this year on a 690, didnt miss a beat. As for me Im still recovering hurt my right ankle and knee on day 3 from a fall and nearly wiped myself out 10km from the finish when I brushed a 4WD towing a bloody horse float.
Only damage to me was a deep cut to my right little finger and bruised upper arm, bike lost the number plate light, throttle protector bolt and clutch lever was bent, got back on an rode it home.
Its sitting in the garage all ready to go again next year, form and deposit sent.... woo hoo
Old 08-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #34
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
That last half hour is deadly.

In 2011 I came around a tightening curve both wheels started drifting, into a table drain up against a cutting at about 80k, didn't even have time to back off, went down it about 20m or so then bounced out the end onto the road.

Didn't believe that I was still in one piece. Strange experience which could have gone completely the other way.

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #35
damo2010
damo

Oddometer: 413
Yep, the risk of something else going wrong in the last stages is why i cut and run in that last saturday. However that last two hours from St George to Roma for me was nuts and could have gone very wrong, buts that's just me, no style or talent, just freekin arsie to achieve what I did achieve.

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...rbiW8y1XLQCMtY
damo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #36
BigBobC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I was a bit riding very cautious and ginger on the way home from the rally, 356km, but meant that I started and finished from my shed. 8216km in 15 days. Awesome fun! :)
The bike was telling me it needed some attention in the last hour when I had no phone service, making my heart slip a beat, but we made it home.
Not next year but, new dates means I'll be in peak work season, but damn glad I done it this year. I learnt a lot and will find somewhere else to ride.
As I said, awesome ride :) :) :)
BigBobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:27 AM   #37
TB650
Would be Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
APC vendor thread WTF or is it my eyes

Is it just me and bad eye site or has the APC vendor thread been shit canned now as well?

TB
Old 08-26-2012, 04:46 AM   #38
Russ

Oddometer: 15,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB650 View Post
Is it just me and bad eye site or has the APC vendor thread been shit canned now as well?

TB

Yes it's gone.

You can't threaten legal action agains ADV and expect us to keep dusting off the welcome mat.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:59 AM   #39
TB650
Would be Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Against ADV or member? Doesnt matter really I suppose it's gone thanks for the speedy reply champ appreciated

TB
Old 08-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #40
Russ

Oddometer: 15,958
Adv.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #41
DazRSV
Danadise member

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwocky117 View Post
I'm with you Ross. I enjoy the 690, & i'll be using it again. But.......... would be nice to see a few xr6's and a couple of TT600's going around.
When on the Birdsville Track during this years rally on day 12 I had a lot of time to ponder bike choice (as you do sitting on 90 kph for hours on end ) and I was pretty stoked that I rode wifes 99 TTR250, not that I had any other choice as I had recently sold my DR650 so it was the TTR or nothing.
It did have it problems, small oil weeps from day 7 onwards , it lost a lot of bolts over the course but what wouldn't on the Cordillo Downs station track, the carb leaked when not running, it was way under gunned on the long transport stages but in the tighter technical stages it went great.

I rode it to the in laws at Wagga not far from my start point of Murrumbateman , I crashed in the Hattah and damaged my knee the day before so couldn't finish the last day plus wifey wanted me home which was a bummer but hey it wasn't the bikes fault.
The next day when loading it on the trailer I dropped it on its side the cam chain skipped a few teeth and the valves started mating with the top of the piston I couldn't believe it.

A scrapheap bike would be a hell of a challenge , I would have support vehicle or a clean credit card, because there are some places you just don't want to break down.

Sleeper TTR250

2003 KTM 640 Adventureeeeeeeee
DazRSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #42
nry

Oddometer: 1,328
I almost think my 640a meets fufills scrap heap criteria nicely, it certainly acts like a heap of scrap some times

If I do the rally next year though, do you know what I'm taking ?

The 640a because even though her wiring gave me some trouble and then the sub frame collapsed she is the PERFECT balance between big and small, and when things got "technical" me and the beast left them for dust yeah thats right DUST

I will be rewiring her though and building an "Ubersubframe" complete with machete mounting points (for my own personal enjoyment and nothing else)

And for the record, I didnt do the valves or change the oil, or service the "reversing lever" or anything else that sould be done at 5000ks according to the book. I also wish I hadn't bothered carrying spare brake pads or even replacing the chain or sprockets.

Neil.
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #43
nry

Oddometer: 1,328
I would not however have made it all the way round on the rear Michelins........Dunlop 606...Maybe.
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #44
BigBobC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post
I would not however have made it all the way round on the rear Michelins........Dunlop 606...Maybe.
I used Dunlop 606's and needed 2 sets on my "hugely powerful" DR650. I didn't feel hard done by leaving the old tire at the change shop :)
I assumed the 908 rally raids would be the tire of choice for any 18" rear?
A mate had a mefo explorer on the rear and it outdone the Dunlop on my bike through the ranges.
BigBobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #45
Moptop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
A scrapheap bike would be a hell of a challenge , I would have support vehicle or a clean credit card, because there are some places you just don't want to break down.[/QUOTE]

A clean credit card only works if you take it with you and not leave it at the bar at Cameron's corner.
Moptop is offline   Reply With Quote