Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #76
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,847
If you want a good trial run for the APC in the Brissy area check out this ride.I have set it up using GPS tracks exactly like the APC and distance and terrain is very similar to a standard days APC riding, you could check out your gear set ups and camp at Dayboro too. Practice getting up and riding by 7.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post19921874

Andy

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #77
westy525
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanks Andy that will be on the list to do once I get a bit more familiar with the new unit, I will pm you to get the GPS routes at a later date

Allan
westy525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #78
damo2010
damo

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvmoto View Post
I'll be riding the 990 and i hate sand.
I'm taking the 990 to Stockton NSW to ride sand until I get completely comfortable with it.
I was sitting at big red with some of the fast guys from Brisbane on 990 and they made the steepest part of big red look easy to the point they backed of as they crested. Got video that I should post up some time. Awesome to watch.

Best thing I did was fit a good steering damper

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...rbiW8y1XLQCMtY
damo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #79
damo2010
damo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvmoto View Post
Hi all,
Im planning on doing the 2013 rally. I read the ride report in Trailzone and it sounds like a great event. As a rally newbie, has anyone thats done the event got any advice? Anyone else got plans to go?
Anyone heard any info regarding the route?

Cheers
First and most importantly, read Johns info guide and do what he says. I was pretty careful but things still go wrong which just part of the adventure.
2nd, do johns 4 day rally, great tracks, awesome locations and great advise
3rd, just do it, I still lay in bed at night reliving the ride.

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #80
damo2010
damo

I just walked in thou the shed from a night on the piss with work mates and saw the bike sitting there and I thought to my self, "I spent two weeks on this bike, how ducking good was that, to be honest it was beyond expectations and so was my old tenere

Just maybe I'll get parole for next next year

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
Old 11-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #81
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

I miss it real bad just can't afford to do it again yet,
I will go see the bikes off from Dayboro but it will be gut wrenching not to be going too.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #82
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087
Just read shelbyjets ride report HERE.

I would suggest that the APC left a wake of bad blood in outback NSW and SA. Can't be sure of the exact reasons but I hope it was no one on this forum... yeah I know there are dickheads every where... but shelby only got to Tibooburra before the bad blood became evident

"...the publican was a little over motorbikers as some of the APC guys had rubbed him the wrong way. After assuring him we were just two mates on our own, he warmed up and was hard to leave."

Please keep the locals on side boys! Others will follow in your wheel tracks and want to enjoy what the outback people can provide.

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #83
richo360
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
Just read shelbyjets ride report HERE.

I would suggest that the APC left a wake of bad blood in outback NSW and SA. Can't be sure of the exact reasons but I hope it was no one on this forum... yeah I know there are dickheads every where... but shelby only got to Tibooburra before the bad blood became evident

"...the publican was a little over motorbikers as some of the APC guys had rubbed him the wrong way. After assuring him we were just two mates on our own, he warmed up and was hard to leave."

Please keep the locals on side boys! Others will follow in your wheel tracks and want to enjoy what the outback people can provide.
Im sure thats a reflection on the two individuals, not John or the APC ride itself.
We stayed at pubs each night, were polite and made sure we thanked our hosts every time on the way out the door each morning. We appreciated their hospitality and they appreciated our (and the other APC riders' ) business.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #84
micknmeld
Always in trouble

Oddometer: 67
I have been following the APC Rally on Facebook, it appears that Homer is busy setting out next year's route. He has been posting some great pics on the APC FB page from some great country and going by the photos, next year's APC rally is going to be a beauty!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:35 AM   #85
rutsthematter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Course looks different to previous years, tougher on those on bigger bikes.
Trip Preparation different to previous years, see the december newsletter.

Turn up fit or pay the price.
Bikes need to be ready to get some “airtime” there are 1 million whoops in the mountain section that last for 10 days.

I take it we are not going to any desert/outback.

Better get on the pushbike by the sounds of that.
rutsthematter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:36 AM   #86
Mawscode
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I'll be lining up at Dayboro for the start of the rally, really looking forward to getting outback again, Let's hope the 990 can handle it
Mawscode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #87
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Watching Dakar over the last few weeks has me pining to hit the APC again, not saying it is equivalent to a Dakar but for us mere mortals battling financial survival it is a viable alternative and a great adventure without a massive financial outlay.
I remember chasing down the side of a railway line in the dark having lost my riding partner and hitting chopped up deep soft sand drainage beds every couple of hundred metres through some tight navigation thinking wow this is pretty close to the real thing and there aint no chopper available at 5 mins notice to come get me.
Damn, wish my back was fixed and I had the cash to do it again this year.
Hopefully see you guys on the start line as Dayboro is not far from me.
My tip is pack light, just enough to survive, nothing more, definately not the kitchen sink, remember you fuel every couple of hundred kms and if you find yourself short of something you can buy most things at a servo.

Andy

Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #88
richo360
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Watching Dakar over the last few weeks has me pining to hit the APC again, not saying it is equivalent to a Dakar but for us mere mortals battling financial survival it is a viable alternative and a great adventure without a massive financial outlay.
I remember chasing down the side of a railway line in the dark having lost my riding partner and hitting chopped up deep soft sand drainage beds every couple of hundred metres through some tight navigation thinking wow this is pretty close to the real thing and there aint no chopper available at 5 mins notice to come get me.
Damn, wish my back was fixed and I had the cash to do it again this year.
Hopefully see you guys on the start line as Dayboro is not far from me.
My tip is pack light, just enough to survive, nothing more, definately not the kitchen sink, remember you fuel every couple of hundred kms and if you find yourself short of something you can buy most things at a servo.

Andy
We did that section heading into Hawker late arvo.
Personally, the bit you speak of along the railway line was my favorite section of the entire rally.
I felt like I was riding the Finke Desert race..... whoops, washed out creek beds..... hit some rather quick speeds in some sections......except the bike was heavier, I was carrying lots of gear, and im old and fat and slow.

The beers tasted soooo much better at Craddock that night.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #89
billy300
Banned

Oddometer: 6
NSW 4 day ride in Feb

Rang up today and have been put on a reserve list apparently it is sold out. Been told i am a good chance because it is not unusual for riders to get injured . There were 9 riders injured before the last 14 day rally even started.
Entry has gone in for the big one this year . Is anyone else here starting at Wodonga.
billy300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #90
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,348
fingers crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy300 View Post
Rang up today and have been put on a reserve list apparently it is sold out. Been told i am a good chance because it is not unusual for riders to get injured . There were 9 riders injured before the last 14 day rally even started.
Entry has gone in for the big one this year . Is anyone else here starting at Wodonga.

I was one of the nine ! I had a seriously stupid crash trying out some Mitas E09 tyres in deep sand and broke my tibia and fibula in the Little Desert. I also belted my head hard and now have to ride with a neck brace.

I am doing the NSW 4 day next month. If I cope OK leg wise ( at 59 bones take a long time to heal) , then I will have a go at the 14 day rally. I will start at Mildura which is slightly closer than Wodonga for me.

The course being more technical is OK by me. I am riding a DRZ400 with a wide ratio gearbox. I learnt my lesson in sand riding on a big top heavy DR650RS (don't do it) and poor tyres( E09 front is shit in deep sand/ rear is just OK)

Having followed the last 2 APC rallies on the net, I am looking forward to having a go.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote