User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
NorthEastCal 2up 2dayers

Here are a few overnight trips we took in July and August.
Trip #1 Through Chester, Mill Creek, Mineral, to West Prospect Lookout.
Trip #2 Portola, Graeagle, Jackson Meadows Reservoir-the headwaters of the Middle Fork of the Yuba River, Quincy (starts post #25)

Trip #1
----------------------------------------
I will start with one from July 21-22, 2012.
It was pretty close to home, but any adventure will do.

Teaser... Trip #1

We love this old map.

This was our route. HWY 36 to Chester around (Warner Valley Road) and back to HWY 36 took a left to Mill Creek (172) which ended up in Mineral turned left back onto HWY36 turned right near Battle Creek Campground to Forest Road 17 all the way across to HWY44 took a right at the road to West Prospect Lookout (32N12) took HWY44 home the next day.

more to come...

PinkPillion screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 10:16 AM Reason: was too boring...
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Trip #1 day one.
All packed up. We left around 9:30.

They were in the middle of repaving our road to HWY36. It is super smooth now.

Lake Almanor on the way to Chester. Mt. Lassen in the distance. The reservoir was named for the three daughters of Guy C. Earl, Vice President of Great Western Power: Alice, Martha and Eleanor. Historically, Big Meadows, which is now the site of Lake Almanor, has been inhabited by the California Indian, emigrant pioneer cattlemen and dairymen, gold miners, resort owners, hydroelectric developers, recreational summer dwellers and, finally, contemporary residents. The "Big Meadows Indians" or "Feather River Indians" as they have been called actually belong to the California Maidu. However, the Indians had no particular name for themselves and the word "Maidu" simply means person. Big Meadows was one of the flat-bottomed valleys providing conditions well suited to the Indian way of life. Village areas were located along the margins of the meadows with two main settlements in the area.

Made it to Chester in good time. If you are looking of a great deli, this is the place.

Have to do some research real quick...then more.

PinkPillion screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 08:55 PM Reason: added photo and info
Old 08-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Trip #1 day one.
Got some huge roast beef sandwiches, filled up the tank, and headed north toward The Stump Ranch (take Warner Valley Road). Upon arrival we discovered a whole can of DEET had exploded in a side case. That stuff seriously melted the plastic. We have been out in those woods before and the mosquitos have a way of ruining a ride. Planned to get another bottle just in case.

Inscription on plaque: "Stump Ranch, a stage stop on the Red Bluff – Susanville Wagon Road, was also the road’s caretaker. It may have changed hands in an 1890’s poker game. The name arose after 1880’s logging left a field of stumps. So it could be recorded as swamp land in 1869, surveyors worked from a horse drawn wooden boat. J.C. Tyler, the road’s agent, charged tolls: $1 for a horseman, $10 per 8 horse hitch, 16 per head of cattle and 10 for sheep and hogs. The road and ranch have seen many a cowboy, pioneer, Indian, logger, gold prospector, outlaw, drover, and Civil War vet heading for California."

This was great.

and this one...

Flowers

Cleaned up after the DEET accident and headed out again. Came across a horse trailer and jeep kicking up a little dust.

Yay! Onward to the North Fork of the Feather River.

Refreshing!!! This place was actually quite crowded. People were fishing so I didn't pull out the gold pan here.

Also in the same area of the river---saving the aspens interpretive sign. All we saw was a fenced in bunch of aspens. We really should have checked out the Basque Carvings.

more...

PinkPillion screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 09:09 PM
Old 08-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ride #1 day one.
Hopped back onto HWY36 again and followed along the Mill Creek to Mineral loop. Road 172.

Stopped here at Battle Creek Meadows to have a nice quiet lunch.

These guys rolled up. Richard took a photo for them, and they took off down the road toward Mineral.

Another flower shot.

Onward to Mineral for some more DEET. This place is precious to us only because back when we were teenagers we stayed here the night before a snowboard contest at Mt. Lassen. Had to hand build our half pipes with shovels before we could even ride. I miss the ski hill at Lassen. Good times!

Old house in Mineral.

One for my Husqvarna sitting at home.

more...

PinkPillion screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 09:21 PM Reason: added photos
Old 08-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ride #1 day one.
There is a road up ahead that neither of us have been on called National Forest 17. It skirts the west side of Lassen park. We are expecting great views from here. Saw this beat up sign on the way.

The road was pretty nice.

Caught a glimpse of Mt. Shasta once or twice. No photo ops presented themselves, so I took a picture of the happy Jon rock.

Not too dusty behind us.

We did come across a nice little creek though. These little trees were just growing out of a stump.

A fly type bug was enjoying this flower.

Stopped here along the Noble's Trail. Then back onto the pavement for a few miles.

Noble founded this trail in 1851 when he was prospecting in the area with eight other men. This trail was a cutoff of the Humboldt Trail in Nevada. It crossed the Black Rock Desert and the Northern Sierra into what is now known as Susanville, California.
The Noble Emigrant Trail prospered in the mid 1850s since it was a shorter and more direct route to the Sacramento Valley, than the earlier established Lassen Emigrant Trail. The trail cut several days off the travel time from the Lassen Emigrant Trail, and therefore ended most of the travel on it.

Noble's new route was considered the best road through the Sierra Nevada. Travelers could find grass, water and wood the entire length. The greatest distance between watering places was 25 miles. Noble's Emigrant Trail became a main thoroughfare of settlers traveling over the Northern Sierra and established Susanville as a major town in the region. Visitors can take a step back in time and follow Noble's Emigrant Trail by car since present day roads parallel the trail.

more.

PinkPillion screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 09:37 PM
Old 08-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ride #1 day one.
We are heading for West Prospect Lookout. (32N12)

A view of Lassen from the Hat Creek Bridge.

Rode through fresh coal size gravel for about 21 miles with a time limit. The lookout was due to close around 5:00 pm and we were not sure if there was going to be a gate. We made it.

It has not changed much.
Built in 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, it is the highest lookout point in the Lassen National Forest. The lookout is located one mile north of Lassen Volcanic National Park.

Took a tour of the place. Chatted with the lookout attendant who said the little fire burning (currently the Reading Fire) in the park was nothing to be concerned about. He said "They let those burn to clear the forest floor."
An old photo of a lady ranger.

One for LittleWan.

This the fire on day one.

This is the fire today. The gravel road, well it and all of the trees around it have burned up. The fire has almost surrounded the lookout tower.

Good thing I took a few pics pre fire.

more...

PinkPillion screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 09:59 PM Reason: added photos and info
Old 08-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ride #1 day one.
We decided to camp close to Hat Creek. The GPS showed a little road running along it. So we found ourselves here, bullseye marks the spot.

Which was kind of close to this.

The perfect campsite. Flowing creek, quiet, and flat.

Tucked the bike in and did some gold panning, Didn't find a thing, but it was worth a try.

Ride #1 Day two.

Cheers to falling asleep to the sound of a rushing creek.

Packed up and left before noon. Thought this was going to be the last trip of the summer. Not so...

Way less history than usual I know. Next time I shall gather some interesting tidbits.

Thanks for checking out the report.

Will post the next chapter within a few days.

PinkPillion screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 10:04 PM
Old 08-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Ks-Rydr
from the land of Toto

Oddometer: 219
Great start Pinkpillion, enjoying the pictures..... . I think I'll follow along, looks like this will be interesting.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Nice Trip

Thanks for sharing PinkPillion, my dad is up in Canyon Dam in Almanor right now and just received the mandatory Evac. Will be interesting to see the forest from your vantage points in a few weeks.
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks-Rydr View Post
Great start Pinkpillion, enjoying the pictures..... . I think I'll follow along, looks like this will be interesting.
Thanks Ks-Ryder. Glad the pictures are okay.

PinkPillion screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 07:10 PM
Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
Thanks for sharing PinkPillion, my dad is up in Canyon Dam in Almanor right now and just received the mandatory Evac. Will be interesting to see the forest from your vantage points in a few weeks.
Thanks for checking it out BanhXeo. Major bummer about the evacuations tonight. I hope your dad and his property are okay.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
weldpro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Something to note here is that the "little ground fire" as proclaimed by the nice but way anti logging lookout guy (I am not a logger but I believe it is necessary) has burned all the way up to the lookout, and beyond. If you look at the map above you will notice prospect peak but that is not where the lookout is. The lookout is just North East of prospect peak. Hate to say it but this should have never happened as the chips fire was already burning, and that should have been the FS's clue that they should have put this one out. As of right now we have four major fires going all in a small local area.....
1150gs,Husky TE630,crf450r(#101),450exc(#115p)
weldpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Great stuff as usual!

In your last ride report you mentioned you had upgraded some camping gear, what new goodies did you get? And if you picked up new sleeping pads, I would be interested in hearing what you got and how small they pack down to.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So my report was definitely not to my liking. Added a few more pictures and a little bit of history today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
Great stuff as usual!

In your last ride report you mentioned you had upgraded some camping gear, what new goodies did you get? And if you picked up new sleeping pads, I would be interested in hearing what you got and how small they pack down to.
Thanks Steve_k.
New goodies:
In the last few years we have upgraded sleeping bags to Big Agnes Ethel 0 degree down, 3lbs 11oz (me) and Big Agnes Fairwell synthetic, 4lbs 3oz. (him)
Sleeping pads are Big Agnes Dual Core. They are about the size of a Nalgane Bottle and weigh 24 oz. I did get a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core for the winter rides. It is a little bigger weighing in at 38 oz and packs down to 6x13. They rule! Slept on a bunch of sharp rocks on trip #2 and did not feel a thing. Cozy for sure.
Pillows. ExPed Air Pillows (x2).
We shove all of this into a large REI duffle bag and strap it on the rack.
Oh and I got the Snowpeak Titanium Double-wall mug for Christmas last year. Thanks Weldpro.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #15
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldpro View Post
Something to note here is that the "little ground fire" as proclaimed by the nice but way anti logging lookout guy (I am not a logger but I believe it is necessary) has burned all the way up to the lookout, and beyond. If you look at the map above you will notice prospect peak but that is not where the lookout is. The lookout is just North East of prospect peak. Hate to say it but this should have never happened as the chips fire was already burning, and that should have been the FS's clue that they should have put this one out. As of right now we have four major fires going all in a small local area.....
NorCal is seriously on fire tonight.