Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 01:28 AM   #16
YotaNate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Nice report and pics pink. Cant wait to see more. It reminds me just how lucky I am to live in this area. Its terrible, all of my favorite places are on fire right now
I live in Greenville just south of Canyon dam and the smoke is so thick I cant go on a ride without my eyes burning and getting a sore throat.
YotaNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:06 AM   #17
weldpro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaNate View Post
Nice report and pics pink. Cant wait to see more. It reminds me just how lucky I am to live in this area. Its terrible, all of my favorite places are on fire right now
I live in Greenville just south of Canyon dam and the smoke is so thick I cant go on a ride without my eyes burning and getting a sore throat.
You know how the FS did all the remapping for trails, roads etc.? Well out of all the secret stuff they did not find and map they missed the trail on the west side of Butt lake, and I laughed at that. Looks like the joke is on us now as it's burnt out. I except the Chips fire, the Mill Fire, and the Ponderosa fire. But the Reading fire pisses me off since it should have been dealt with on day one. Oh the nasty words I have for the park manager.........
We will be exploring the areas that were burnt when the first signs of winter start to hit even though all those areas will be closed under numerous forest service orders (just like the moonlight fire). Anyhow hope none of the fire reaches your area, and if you can just go south to ride! We were just over in the Downieville & Middle fork Yuba area, and there was NO sign of smoke. It was like nothing was going on.
1150gs,Husky TE630,crf450r(#101),450exc(#115p)
weldpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaNate View Post
Thank you for the kind words YotaNate .
It feels like we are stuck in a tent with a campfire 2 feet from the door.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #19
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Thanks for the info on the sleeping pads... Just an REI sale catalog today.... Big Agnes pads 35% off next weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPillion View Post
So my report was definitely not to my liking. Added a few more pictures and a little bit of history today.

Thanks Steve_k.
New goodies:
In the last few years we have upgraded sleeping bags to Big Agnes Ethel 0 degree down, 3lbs 11oz (me) and Big Agnes Fairwell synthetic, 4lbs 3oz. (him)
Sleeping pads are Big Agnes Dual Core. They are about the size of a Nalgane Bottle and weigh 24 oz. I did get a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core for the winter rides. It is a little bigger weighing in at 38 oz and packs down to 6x13. They rule! Slept on a bunch of sharp rocks on trip #2 and did not feel a thing. Cozy for sure.
Pillows. ExPed Air Pillows (x2).
We shove all of this into a large REI duffle bag and strap it on the rack.
Oh and I got the Snowpeak Titanium Double-wall mug for Christmas last year. Thanks Weldpro.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #20
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,760
Quote:
Thank you for the kind words YotaNate .
It feels like we are stuck in a tent with a campfire 2 feet from the door.

Oh, Aimee - sorry I'm late to your report!

we were thinking about you guys when we rode through the Susanville area on August 13.
It was plenty smoky then, can't imagine how bad it is now.

it's awful, so many places have burned this summer. It seems like every state we went through was on fire.

Hope you guys are still okay...

On a completely different (happier) note,
this made me smile:

Quote:

One for LittleWan.

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #21
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Thank you for sharing....

I'll be riding some of where you rode in October when I ride the Hogsback road up to Hwy 36 then take the 172 loop and pick-up some dirt from there working my way over to Hwy 32 then home. Going to be a fun ride as long as the forest is still there. Sad about all of these fires, rough year.
Thanks again for sharing
Old 08-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #22
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Hope you guys are still okay...
On a completely different (happier) note,
this made me smile:
Hi Kelly! I knew you would find this sooner or later.
Breathing is no fun right now. We are still good though and have our fingers crossed for no more lighting in Lassen County!
Glad you enjoyed the picture. He travels with us every where! Juju is brilliant.
I see you have a report in progress. YAY!!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #23
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
Thanks for the info on the sleeping pads... Just an REI sale catalog today.... Big Agnes pads 35% off next weekend!
Long live REI!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
I'll be riding some of where you rode in October when I ride the Hogsback road up to Hwy 36 then take the 172 loop and pick-up some dirt from there working my way over to Hwy 32 then home. Going to be a fun ride as long as the forest is still there. Sad about all of these fires, rough year.
Thanks again for sharing
Don't forget to take a gold pan redog1! Our forest has been ruined for a while, but as you will see, there is still plenty to enjoy. Save Travels.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #24
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
I was wrong, it's %25 on the Big Agnes pads, but still going to order!

Quote:
Long live REI!!!
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #25
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Okay lets get started with

Trip #2----------------------------------------

August 11-12, 2012
A beautiful morning and not too much smoke from the nearby fires. We were looking for somewhere not blazing hot but also kind of close to home. Decided on the Northern Tahoe area.
Another well loved and used map.

Our route for this trip.
HWY 36 to HWY 395, HWY 70 through Portola, HWY 89 through Graeagle, over Gold Lake HWY to Bassets, dirt road #54 to Jackson Meadows Reservoir, Henness Pass Road to camp, HWY 89 to Sierraville and back to Graeagle, HWY 70 to Quincy to Indian Valley, dirt through Moonlight Valley and home on HWY 36.

All ready to go once again, just a little dirty from the last trip. Different tires this time. Knobby.

We are riding HWY 36 south to HWY 395 south today. The smoke over the Honey Lake Valley.

Riding through Susanville, we notice the Oscar Mayer Wiener is in town.

Rode HWY 395 to the Hallelujah Junction turn (HWY 70) toward Portola. Our ears were shot after listening to the whirrrrrr of the dirt tires for 70 or so miles. Richard put in ear plugs. I chose tough it out... mostly because we only had one set.

Stopped in Portola for some gas. Still way over $4.00 today. The beauty of travelling by bike. So many miles for so little cash.

more..

PinkPillion screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 11:48 AM
Old 08-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #26
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Trip #2 day one
From Portola we continued along HWY 70 to the HWY 89 turn through Graeagle. The village is a former lumber mill and the buildings all through town are painted red. Graeagle has a huge antique fair at the end of August each year.

A little bit beyond town is the Gold Lake Forest Highway. It is a beautiful shortcut to HWY 49. We have spent a lot of time in the Gold Lakes area. Earlier in summer headed out for a 3 day camping trip to ride the Huskies on the Butcher Ranch/Pauley Creek trail. The trip was cut short due to a gnarly wound sustained by myself riding up Pauley Creek. Lots of blood and such. AAAkkkk. Didn't want to think about that. The HWY presents awesome views of the Sierra Buttes.

The HWY leads you straight into a little town called Bassetts. We were making good time and decided to do a little gold panning in a nearby creek.

Found a little bit.

and some flowers

After striking gold, we rode along road #54.

Not a bad road.

Until a bunch old folks race by in a swiss vehicle. The thing was pretty cool. If they were going a little slower, I might have clicked a better picture of it. I want one of those when I am like 80 years old.

We were sitting at a fork in the road. The way they went #54, the way we went, not #54. The GPS showed both roads ending up where we wanted to go. Took the less traveled, freshly logged adventure looking one to the right.
Which ended up turning into an impossible single track. Good for the Huskies, not for the 2 ton BMW. Had to turn around and go back through the stupid water bars.

more...
Old 08-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #27
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Trip #2 day one

We rode back up to the Y and continued on #54 to a T. Left was to Yuba Pass right to Webber Lake. We headed right on #12.

Along this road we saw a disturbing sign. Really Forest Service? No dirt bikes except for hunting season. We knew this was coming, Calfornia blocking off perfectly good roads to plateless bikes. To see it in sign form.

Road #12 came to a T at the road to Jackson Meadows Reservoir. Took a right and made it to the reservoir. The water was very low this year.

This is from the top of the dam looking down toward the beginning of the Middle Fork of the Yuba. The huge amount of water being shot out of the pipe is amazing. Way down there, you can see a bridge. One of our goals is to find that bridge, go across it and see what is on the other side.

more...
Old 08-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #28
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,257
Went and found that bridge one time too...it's like a lure, I couldn't resist.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #29
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Trip #2 day one

To get down there week took Henness Pass Road which is to the right of the dam.

A little bit about the Henness Pass Trail:
The original Henness Pass road was primarily a road for an easier entrance into California. After the Donner Party disaster of 1846, emigrants avoided the rugged cliffs above Truckee (later Donner) Lake. Instead they turned northward taking a longer route developed by Patrick Henness (or Hanness) in either 1849 or 1850, although that is a subject of some debate. What is known is that Henness, along with his partner Jackson, is the probable discoverer of the pass that bears his name, and in 1852 the wagon road over it was improved in an attempt to draw overland emigrants to the country of North and Middle Yuba Rivers and to the towns in the Yuba and Nevada Counties. However, most emigrants continued to use the Echo Summit-Placerville route (Johnson’s Cutoff).

Along the trail is Milton Reservoir. Said to be a great fishing spot with no live bait allowed. There were about 10 or so developed camp sites here. Not our style, we kept going.

The dam at Milton Reservoir was pretty cool.

Milton South Dam is on the Middle Yuba River in Nevada County, California and is used for drinking water, irrigation, hydroelectric power and recreation purposes. Construction was completed in 1927. Its normal surface area is 100 acres. It is owned by Nevada Irrigation District. Milton South is arch, concrete. The core is concrete. The foundation is rock. Its height is 33 feet with a length of 137 feet. Its capacity is 295 acre feet. Normal storage is 200 acre feet.

We continued along the trail looking for a killer camp spot. Both the GPS and map showed very few roads leading toward the Yuba. Tried this one first.

It brought us to a nice flat area used for camping. I didn't like it enough to stay there. It was way above the river with no nice way down. We walked along a path and were willing to leave the bike and hike in a little if a sweet spot was found. Almost decided on a place right above this bitchen pool.

Naw, this wasn't good enough. Hiked back to the bike. Along the way, just a few hundred butterflies and a rock wall.

more...
Old 08-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #30
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Went and found that bridge one time too...it's like a lure, I couldn't resist.

We saw it the first time we crossed the dam last year...had to make it down there this time.