Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 10:35 PM   #46
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Very nice ride report. Fun to follow along with all of your details. Nice close-up photos.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #47
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
I lived in Quincy for 7 years in the 80's, never been to the Gold Lake area. Bucket list for next year. Thanks for sharing.
Hi redog1. Thanks.

You will really enjoy the Gold Lake area.
We picked up a new 2012 map at the grocery store in Graeagle.
The nice non-ripping kind. It is by SierraTrails.org (Downieville & Lakes Basin).
Good Stuff!
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #48
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Very nice ride report. Fun to follow along with all of your details. Nice close-up photos.
Thank you for checking it out RedRockRider.
I love capturing the close up shots.
Yesterday we took a ride out to the aftermath of the Rush Fire a little east of us

Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #49
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Hope I'm not too late!

As usual, I'm late to the party. This was another great post with wonderful photo's. So, you had me in stitches with the "If you can read this, your're in range" sign. Love it. Might even use that for myself in the future. I'm always interested in the lookouts and I like your inclusion of the old lookout photo.

With the fire you mention in mind, which we up here in Idaho have plenty as well, minor hijack. I hope minor. Labor Day weekend brought our family to the Carey Dome Lookout north of McCall, ID. Fire lookout through a old burn.

And from this same lookout, Bill the lookout pointed us to the Herman Fire (Maguire Complex now).

Don't mean to hijack and I'll remove these photo's if you want. Sorry, back to your thread.

Didn't get a photo, but I think the same folks passed us in the Swiss 4x4 type vehicle. Well, probably not the same people, but they were going fast enough I couldn't get the camera out quick enough. Too bad no info on the old bridge, but still very interesting.

Thanks for posting up your rides

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #50
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
As usual, I'm late to the party. This was another great post with wonderful photo's. So, you had me in stitches with the "If you can read this, your're in range" sign. Love it. Might even use that for myself in the future. I'm always interested in the lookouts and I like your inclusion of the old lookout photo.
Thanks for posting up your rides
Hi TA. Thank you for the compliments.
We see the funniest signs up here in the hills.
I wish I would have taken a photo of the sign on the way to the Prospect Lookout.
"Cowgirls turn in here for cocktails".
The fires have been so gnarly this year--everywhere! Another one going right now.
Hijack is cool, and follows the theme of these two reports.
Still no bridge info.
Thanks for stopping by.

PinkPillion screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 04:18 PM
Old 09-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #51
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPillion View Post

Still no bridge info.

You know, I looked into that bridge years ago too and all I could come up with is that it's an old bridge that crossed the river before the dam was built. Damn dam went in and the bridge was abandoned.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #52
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
You know, I looked into that bridge years ago too and all I could come up with is that it's an old bridge that crossed the river before the dam was built. Damn dam went in and the bridge was abandoned.
I have enlisted the help of a few "bridge hunters" on this little mystery bridge.
I hope they find something, anything.
The good news is, I did come across some cool old maps of Death Valley amid my frantic researching episode.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #53
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,098
Thanks for all you do......

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #54
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBandi View Post
Thanks for all you do......
Thanks Debandi. Back at ya!!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:05 AM   #55
Davethestick
Registered Rider

Oddometer: 72
Awesome RR!
Davethestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #56
Rich1961
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Great Ride Report! I have a couple of friends who work for Nevada Irrigation District (NID owns Jackson Meadows), I'll see if they know anything about that bridge, or have some history on it.
Rich
Rich1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #57
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethestick View Post
Awesome RR!
Glad you liked it Davethestick. Thanks for checking it out.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #58
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1961 View Post
Great Ride Report! I have a couple of friends who work for Nevada Irrigation District (NID owns Jackson Meadows), I'll see if they know anything about that bridge, or have some history on it.
Rich
Awwww Rich that is super cool. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #59
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So, about my "brickwall bridge"...
I received an answer from a Sierra County Local. This is his take:

After Milton Reservoir was made, and it's pipeline to Bowman Lake, but before Jackson Meadows Reservoir went in (pretty much by damning the end of Pass Creek is my guess), the Henness Pass took a less lofty path SE of Milton Res than it does today. It hooked up with Granitville Road, about where your bridge is. Granitville Road was an extension of what today is called Meadow Lake Road, which meanders all over the place and had several branches back in the day.
Anyway, Henness Pass Road lies North of the headwaters of the Middle Yuba, and Granitville Road comes up South of them, so there has to be a crossing point where two connected. That's your bridge, but then as now, Henness Pass continued off to the East.

Another helper was Jason who told me (and wrote an article) about the bridge. He described it this way:

The bridge made of wood is considered plainly a wooden truss bridge, whose wooden beams are connected with nuts and bolts but are neither pin-connected, welded nor riveted. There were numerous wooden truss bridges that were built during the second half of the 1800s and fewer that were built between 1900 and 1960. There are only a handful of these bridges that exist in the US for wood has the shortest lifespan of any bridges made of other materials, and is one with the highest maintenance- it needs to be varnished and painted regularly to ensure that they last just as long as bridges made of iron and/or steel.

I am almost satisfied with this information. I figure it was along the older route to Bowman Lake to the west of the bridge. The stage road took a vertical, probably switchbacky route up the hill along the current spillway from the Jackson Meadows Dam. Just like Larryboy said, a road that was there before the dam was built and is gone now.
Done.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #60
PinkPillion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

An update on the fire damage in Lassen Park.
We rode through the park a week ago and I would have to say the carnage was not as bad as I had expected. Came in through the north gate, off of 44. We saw about 2 miles of blackened pines, mostly on the left hand side of the road. You could see the path of the fire winding up over the mountains to toward the lookout. But from the tourist point of view, it appeared to be a small burn. Huh, didn't feel that way when we were sucking in the smoke for almost two months!