Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
CaptMako OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Yellow RT Headlight - I Like It; Any Benefit?

I've seen a few pics of mostly European bikes with the yellow headlights. I suppose yellow headlights in the US are rare or possibly not legal; don't know. However, I do like the look. Could one install a yellow glass cover on a US R/T and is there a benefit in doing so? Moreover, if it is worthwhile; where one would obtain such?
I realize this is not earth-shattering or nearly as exciting as a blown motor thread, but hoping someone might chime in. Thanks in-advance. Cheers.
CaptMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,358
What year is your bike?
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,426
Most likely yellow headlight use is restricted to adverse weather conditions. Some days you'll be fine to use them.

I think yellow light keeps the bugs away. At the back door anyway.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
CaptMako OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Yes, I could keep it running by the back door if I had a yellow headlight.
Would keep the skeeters away here in Florida.
CaptMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,490
A loooong time ago, I worked for a company in Baltimore that sold parts for old BMW 2002s and coupes. I discovered that French 2002s had yellow headlight bulbs, and they were the same type as a /5 takes, so I ordered one of them to see if I liked it. I liked it quite a lot. I felt like my view was sharper in yellow light than in white. Could have been all in my head, but I liked it. I haven't gone to the effort to get another yellow bulb since that one perished, but wouldn't mind getting another.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,958
Legally, a long time ago, all French registered vehicles had to have yellow headlights. No more. And you may find yellow (filtered) globes hard to find now. Some headlights had yellow lens. You can get yellow glasses (like 'sun' glasses but yellow) for a similar effect, might be easier to obtain and won't "look strange" to others so much.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #7
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Legally, a long time ago, all French registered vehicles had to have yellow headlights. No more. And you may find yellow (filtered) globes hard to find now. Some headlights had yellow lens. You can get yellow glasses (like 'sun' glasses but yellow) for a similar effect, might be easier to obtain and won't "look strange" to others so much.
+1
That's what I wear at night. Helps alot to cut the glare and "sharpen" things up

You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
I only subscribe to the Girl on an old motorcycle: Post your pics! thread for the comments!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,415
Yellow lights used to be a requirement in France but this stopped in 1993

If we travelled to France from the UK it was "The thing" with some folk to paint the headlamps yellow. In France they had yellow bulbs. More of a fashion thing if you see it now as it makes the bikes look retro. Theres also a European requirement to display white headlamps but yellow fog lamps...but...Loads of yellow headlight film on UK Ebay.

The Yellow was called Selective Yellow. The text below implies a reduction in illumination of 15% (compared to normal headlights) but this is offset by the better contrast with yellow. I always found it made everything look murky.

From Wikipedia:-
"The intent of selective yellow is to improve vision by removing short, blue to violet wavelengths from the projected light. These wavelengths are difficult for the human visual system to process properly, and they cause perceived dazzle and glare effects in rain, fog and snow.[7] Removing the blue-violet portion of a lamp's output to obtain selective yellow light can entail filter losses of around 15%,[8] though the effect of this reduction is mitigated or countervailed by the increased visual acuity available with yellow rather than white light in bad weather."

very popular with the Scooby drivers

Rob Farmer screwed with this post 12-07-2014 at 07:22 AM
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #9
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,316
How things go 'round and 'round. A current fad with teens driving Honda Acuras is blue-tinted headlight bulbs for that "HID Look". Years ago there were thin plastic headlight covers in Blue, Green, Yellow and other designer colours.

Bunch of silliness, IMO.

--Bill
Old 12-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #10
catneck
Rabid Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 359
May garner LEO attention.
I have had my amber covered fog lights get a red light in my mirrors.
Officer thought forward facing lights had to be white.
I did research and the law does allow it, but your local police code/officer may differ.
catneck is offline   Reply With Quote