Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Gillus OP
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 729
My take on the SAF-XO final drive fluid and...

Here's my take on the BMW SAF-XO final drive fluid and trans fluids. Do not intend this to be an oil bashing or recommendation thread but MY way to service My bike and feel confident with outcome and protect the warranty and it may work for you. I live 85 miles from the closest BMW motorcycle dealer and 230 from the second where I bought my '11 GSA. It is not convienient to just run to the store to pick up some BMW fluid or have services done I can do myself with Jim VB's videos very easily myself. I have an extensive (33 years worth) background in auto and light truck repair in a former life and made motorcyle ownership, tinkering and repair a top hobby in my second. Got a GS911, a Twin Max, Harbor Freight vacuum brake bleeder, a lift and the vids and got after it and will recoup the costs after a service or two. You can find the BMW service sheets on line. Jim VB's videos are a must

So finding some SAF-XO locally for me was not easy . I called the Castrol Distributor in NM and asked him. He did not know but said he would research it and let me know and I haven't heard back yet. His first comment is that Castrol will do priority fluids or package/relable for different manufacturers and that may be why BMW (autos and MCs) has a lock on SAF-XO as well as the black bottle Land Rover will sell, LRN-7591. There are lots of opinions on different oils and fluids and God bless everyone who has one and congratulations on your good results and my sympathies on the bad ones. Opinions are like axxholes everybody has one. I have Rotella T 15/40 dino in my engine, $13.00 at Walmart. and a BMW oil filter.

I called Barnett BMW in El Paso TX,. I live 85 miles north. They have the biggest Harley Dealership in the US right off I-10, HUGE. The BMW Service Manager told me the SAF-XO is VERY important in the final drive but didn't say why. My thinking it may be to eliminate or reduce warranty costs or it may just be that much mo bedda as a super synthetic. Use something else and warranty may be denied, who knows or they want you to buy their stuff. He told me they use 75/140 synthetic in the transmissions and said any good brand (he hinted motorcycle specific) fully synthetic like Silkolene, Motul or Repsol is fine and I can get that locally.

So I ordered two (2) one litre bottles of BMW SAF-XO for $22.09 each from Barnett BMW. They sell a (1 service) 200 ml 7oz bottle for $9.00 but will change mine often whether it needs it or not as it is very easy to do. You can find the small angle necked, ml marked, plastic squeeze fill bottles at Sally Beauty supply (I told the nice lady what it was for cuz she asked, put lube in my rear end ) for less than 3 bucks. I bought the new orings for the final drive drain plug and new trans and engine crush washers but I have been reusing those with great sucess. All this stuff and $5.00 UPS out that day (did I say Barnett is HUGE and have their own UPS shipping depot) works very well for me. I have a couple friends here with RTs that want me to service their bikes so I will be stocked up.

safely and
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Steptoe
steptoe

Oddometer: 2,552
Contact BMW and tell them you can save them millions -

Tell them to fire the whole R&D department and hire you
Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,493
My service manager said that the 75w90 Lucas synthetic stuff they had at a local dealer would work fine in the rear end of my K1200 GT ( slant 4 ). Issue solved.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
Gillus OP
High Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
My service manager said that the 75w90 Lucas synthetic stuff they had at a local dealer would work fine in the rear end of my K1200 GT ( slant 4 ). Issue solved.
I think the SAF-XO was an update or new recommendation for the '10 and newer GS and GSA but not sure about the date/year they started that. Not sure about the K12, or 13, I think the SAF-XO may be the stuff for the K16. I think I read or heard that somewhere, more research for somebody.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
Pretty sure SAF-XO has been superceded by Syntrax Long Life.

Terry
terryckdbf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryckdbf View Post

Terry
That is my kind of tongue in cheek reference I was trying to make. BMW has changed the specifications on the motor oil used in my KGT 3 times. How can a company with the rescources BMW has at it's hands come out with new designs but not have a certified absolute answer for what is best for lubricating them. Totally inexcuseable. Everytime they change the spec, it tells me that they didn't really know what they were doing when they wrote the first spec.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Gillus OP
High Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryckdbf View Post

Terry
I agree totally but I couldn't find anywhere to buy it other than the BMW dealer. This is what was frustrating to me. On line they show exactly what you are saying but only is available in Europe with a picture of the bottle. Every parts store I stopped at didn't show the "long life" in their books.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
I agree totally but I couldn't find anywhere to buy it other than the BMW dealer. This is what was frustrating to me. On line they show exactly what you are saying but only is available in Europe with a picture of the bottle. Every parts store I stopped at didn't show the "long life" in their books.
Yeah pretty much outside the US or the dealer. Now sparkplugs the same way.

Terry
terryckdbf is online now   Reply With Quote