Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
Stegerman
MotoOCD sufferer

Oddometer: 585
Get an 1150..the 1200 is a more expensive imitation...

I also ride everyday possible in Boise.. don't hesitate.. get one.

formally trained to screw with people's minds..
Stegerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #17
roadtrip22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
i love my 1200gs.
roadtrip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,352
I love my GSA. It takes me to exotic places. But lots of bikes would do that, maybe not quite as comfortably. Why does one bike have to "rule them all."

jimmex screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 07:26 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #19
Conrad
Karlshuld

Oddometer: 209
All around use: GS
Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #20
Osmin C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Couple of things...

1) I just bought GSA and I LOVE it. Gertrude (my GSA) isnt pretty or thin like some of the girls I have been with, but she is just so much better. I cant see myself getting anythingn else and being this happy.

2) You are in a GS Sub forum. I think its safe to say our opinions will be biased. I would say the best place to get an answer for a question like this is a forum that discusses a broad range of bikes.

Ok, Im done. Im going to go ride my GSA now
Osmin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #21
rdcyclist
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegerman View Post
Get an 1150..the 1200 is a more expensive imitation...

I also ride everyday possible in Boise.. don't hesitate.. get one.
Almost as funny as the Stelvio dude...

I've had over 40 bikes in 40 years of riding. I've had four GS's since '04 (200k plus total) and I'll not ever go without a GS for the rest of my life. Literally the best bike I've ever owned. I've got a new to me '10 and it's step up from my previous '05's.

You can't go wrong with a GS. Yeah, the 1150 is pretty good but to say the 1200 is just a more expensive imitation is patently wrong. Unless you like less power, less gas mileage, more weight, less handling and a shitty headlight to boot, the R12GS is the bike for you.
rdcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #22
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Having just purchased my '12 GSA 1 week ago, I'm obviously still in the honeymoon phase and am in love with the bike. I still own a Harley Street Glide which is primarily for two-up and touring. My other bike was the fun one: Tuono Factory.

I can honestly say that in the 220 miles I've put on the GSA it is extremely fun in the twisties - I'm riding it like i stole it all the time and just have a blast. The couple 20 mile stints of highway have already proven MUCH better wind protection than my Street Glide. As far as comfort, easily as comfortable as the SG, but the real story will be when I put several hours in at one time.

Other bikes have been nakeds and standards....Tuono, FZ1, nighthawk, harley.

Soon as the wife and I get out on the GSA this weekend, she'll tell me how comfortable she is compared to the Harley, if she loves it, the Harley will be sold. I enjoy the harley, but I can't get past the buffeting and loud air flow on trips....i refuse to keep trying new windshields and I refuse to buy one that I have to look through. I HATE looking through a windshield on a bike....especially if its a fixed position like the HD...I've ridden RT's and Honda ST's for day long trips with adjustable windshields and they're fantastic....but a fixed one that is constantly in front of you...PITA.

I have honestly been kicking myself for not buying the GSA sooner....especially since i just bought the harley last summer!

As for the GS vs. GSA debate, that is up to you. Ride them both and buy the one that speaks to you. For me, it was the GSA. I love the wind protection, the tall view of the road, the large tank, the metal boxes...just love the look of the whole package. Both are a very rugged design, machines built to ride and not just look pretty at the ice cream stand. Leave that for the Ducati guys... My riding mate has a Multi1200 and its a fantastic machine...i think he's secretly envious i went with the BMW. He gives me crap about my GSA and I just knod and smile since I know the real truth. ;)

Good luck on your purchase adventure!

TuonoBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
No but the GSA is.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #24
KhaoSanMan
Airhead

Oddometer: 577
I think the airhead R80's and R100's are the best all around bike. Lately people have been really getting into modifying them... Me included. They are super simple to work on and maintain, and have a long production time so lots of spares and aftermarket parts to find. Cheap, durable, and attractive.. In as much as lots of people including non riders find them interesting and approachable. Whether you want a comfy long ranger or a strong offroad bike capable of surviving and winning the Paris Dakar, you can make it happen somewhat regardless of the model. They are basically the volkswagons of the motorcycle world

#3 - BMW Motorrad Mull aus der Hölle
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #25
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Having just purchased my '12 GSA 1 week ago, I'm obviously still in the honeymoon phase and am in love with the bike.

^^^What he said^^^

I have an 07 and an 11 GSA, both bought new. And I'm still in the honeymoon period after 5+ years...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #26
millsan1
IBA #49986

Oddometer: 239
I just joined the family. I have wanted an adventure bike for a couple years now. I have a Concours 14 that I love. Some things fell into place that are allowing me to buy a GS. I bought a Rallye as I love the look over a regular GS. GSA is nice but only item I really really wanted from there is the larger tank.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #27
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post
I know the Ducati Multistrada is a contender, but I just plain don’t like it. Not interested. . . I am a street rider 95% of the time. My offroading consists of gravel roads to get me to a campsite or reservoir.
If you search the "Let's see your GS/A offroad" thread you will see that much of the "offroad" use that many (certianally NOT all but some asshat will say that I'm suggesting just that) GS/A's see is exactly the type of riding you say you do. GS IS very capable off road, and that's not what you've said you want to do with it.

For touring I would have to agree with that Guzzi guy. For the long haul it's the most comfortable bike in the "Adventure touring" segment. It'll still do dirt roads, albiet slowly. Better touring than your Road King and maybe sportier than an f650 twin.(not on tight stuff-too heavy)
OTOH, I certianally wouldn't trade my GS for one. It might not be as good of a touring bike, but if your touring includes lotsa twisties that poor Guzzi will be left in the dust just like it will on dirt roads.
If you're more into twisties and dirt roads that all out touring, it's going to be hard to beat that Multistrada you're "not interested" in. Just don't drop it!
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #28
aGremlin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
I don't sentence my GSA commuting and I have no interest in sand or mud.

The GSA does everything else and I love how it is a do-all bike. Commuting on one feels like taking a sportsbike around a go-kart track, but other than that, I know I can jump on and ride to the end of the tank, then fill, then do it again. First one to give up is me, not the bike
Old 08-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #29
The Duc Killer
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I bought a GSA two years ago and promptly sold of an entire garage full of prized custom Ducatis. While I gave up the booming twins for a bike that sounds like a sewing machine, the comfort, range, and all around capabilities of the GSA ment that all the other bikes became garage queens, or wall hangings, overnight. The first time I ventured down a long logging road in the middle of nowhere, I became hooked. Now, the thought of being isolated to the pavement seemed abhorrent to me. No longer needed the sport touring Ducati as my wife is more comfortable on the back, and the superior cargo capacity is crucial. My sport bikes became obsolete as the GSA is more than capable of keeping up with any sane, nearly legal street pace. And my track bike seemed like a waste when I would much rather spend a weekend carving up a mountain road. Perhaps it's just a natural progression for aging bikers. I'm not sure. I think my GSA is one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen, but yet it's my most favorite of 30 years worth of riding. It is also the most comfortable, and that has really increased my riding pleasure. One bike to rule them all? At MY house..... Definitely!
The Duc Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #30
srpuywa
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 422
I've had airhead GS's (including a 1150GS/ADV), RS's, ST1300's, K1200LT and now back to a 09 GS ADV. Recently did a SS1000 on it and planning on the 4 corners tour next summer or 2014 as a retirement ride.
It's the best bike that fits me being 6'4" tall.