Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #31
Yousef
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Having owned 1200 GS and now GSA I can say the GSA is far better bike on road IMO. I have yet to take it off road as I just bought it three weeks ago and it came with Pilot 3's. I think the ESA, how well it blocks air, and the tires what made it the better bike on road. This is my commute bike all year around and I'm fairly confident I will stay warmer on it over the GS that I had.

Now if I can figure out a way to mount a bicycle rack.
Ducati 999s
Yousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #32
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
I love the GS, it's like a jack of all trades.

It's a commuter, long range touring bike, off road bike, sport bike, stunt bike, cruiser, ect ect.

Commuter:
It holds all your BS for work or school, you can slim it down by removing the side cases for filtering and just use a top box, it accelerates quickly enough for darting around surface streets, but has great brakes for the unexpected. Also it gets better fuel mileage than a prius.

Long range Tourer:
It's smooth and comfortable at 70-85mph depending on your state's top speeds. Once again, it's carrying capacity is useful here. People say it's a good two-up bike. Relatively easy to replace those road worn tires on the fly, with it's center stand and single rear swing arm.

Off roady bike:
Relatively long travel suspension, ability to fit tires like the TKC80, 19" front wheel, weighs less than a lot of other toury bikes, but is tall. Good controls for standing up.

Sport bike:
For some reason, this bike eats up the twisties. You can keep up with many sportier bikes on the curves, much to their surprise. You absolutely destroy cruisers trying to keep up, who grind their pegs before you grind your boxes, I've tested this on my friends.

Stunt Bike:
Although, I don't recommend this, the GS/A will pop wheelies. If someone does it, I look at it like someone just popped a wheelie on an 18-wheeler. It's huge, and watching a fully loaded adventure bike on it's back wheel is impressive. I've seen the smaller 800 GS do some crazy things, I'm sure the 1200 is not that far off.

Cruiser:
If you want to look cool with your factory chrome exhaust, there is nothing that gets as many looks as a GS/A. I backed mine into the motorcycle lot at twin peaks, next to what were probably some more expensive Harleys, and people's jaws dropped, and then they had a lot of questions. If you want to be a poseur this is the bike for you!

You can even claim all the Harley style grandeur of having an intangibly great bike. Yeah, they've been making them for 89 years. Yeah, no liquid cooling (on mine, yet). Yeah, it'll leak oil eventually. Yeah, 2 cylinders, none of that 4 crap. Yeah, it's loud and clattery. No, my exhaust sounds like it came off a Honda Civic :( [ you could fix that if you wanted to ]

Oh riding? Yeah, you can also just 'cruise' around town on it. At the speed limit no less! You can travel in packs with other GS bikes, and hang out.

These are probably some of the worst reasons to own a bike, but it illustrates how many different bikes you can get out of it.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #33
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,629
1 Bike............? You must be joking,5 bikes just barely covers the needs of a normal rider.
Gots to have a good 2 stroke for singletrack,then a big roadburner with luggage for those days when you have to be there now! And there is 3000 miles away. Then a seriously fast good handling desert/dual purpose bike.
And a garden variety 650 single with super-moto wheels and tires for THOSE days.
And maybe a decent dual purpose bike as a loaner and general purpose thing that wouldnt sell for enough to justify selling it.

Then theres the bicycles..............................

I dont see where a GS even fits into the picture,nice but so are many other bikes that dont cost 20 grand by the time they are set up.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #34
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousef View Post

Like this?
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #35
co2bruce
Heated grips ???

Oddometer: 76
I have owned many bikes, but the only bike I ever bought twice is the GS. I currently ride a 2012 GS and I think its the best overall, all around bike. I'm happy .
co2bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #36
Zeke013
Village Idiot

Oddometer: 116
As a new motorcyclist, at 43, I hope it is.

I was lured to this infernal obsession by the Street Triple.

Took my MSF course, bought a starter bike (Rebel) and rode a few thousand miles.

Began my search for the "last" bike and considered everything - the various Triple bikes, a Wee, an FJR, Monster, Streetfighter, multi, etc.

As my search evolved, I realized I wanted to buy my proverbial last bike that could do anything I needed - including light rock-hopping (or curb hopping) and here I am.

Picking up my silver R1200GS Saturday.

I hope it is the one to rule them all. It certainly has greater ability in every area than I do - so I won't grow bored.
Zeke013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #37
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Does it Have?

I want a bike you don't have to adjust valves, also I like a hydraulic clutch? GSA valves hydraulic, self adjusting?
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #38
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckychucky View Post
I want a bike you don't have to adjust valves, also I like a hydraulic clutch? GSA valves hydraulic, self adjusting?
You want a harley
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #39
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Having owned 1200 GS and now GSA I can say the GSA is far better bike on road IMO. I have yet to take it off road as I just bought it three weeks ago and it came with Pilot 3's. I think the ESA, how well it blocks air, and the tires what made it the better bike on road.
So, a regular GS with ESA, the ADV screen and winglets installed, and the same tires would be just as good, but 40+ pounds lighter?
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #40
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Quote:
Having owned 1200 GS and now GSA I can say the GSA is far better bike on road IMO. I have yet to take it off road as I just bought it three weeks ago and it came with Pilot 3's. I think the ESA, how well it blocks air, and the tires what made it the better bike on road. This is my commute bike all year around and I'm fairly confident I will stay warmer on it over the GS that I had.

So, a regular GS with ESA, the ADV screen and winglets installed, and the same tires would be just as good, but 40+ pounds lighter?
Good point, Stu
ESA is available on both. Tires are interchangable. The GSA windscreen and brackets bolt right on, and even GSA owners often switch to better (which is entirely personal preference) windscreen.
That leaves a heavier and taller bike with not much other difference, Except...
Extra fuel range and wind protection from the tank. Maybe better for touring, but Harley touring bikes only have a 200 mi range and they sell millions! For riding around town and the twisties the extra weight and height are liabilities rather than assets.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #41
Yousef
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Very good point. Don't forget the massive tank which does a great job keeping the legs warm and dry.
Ducati 999s
Old 08-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #42
Yousef
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post

Like this?
Sweet!

You have a write up for this somewhere?
Ducati 999s
Old 08-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #43
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sweet!

You have a write up for this somewhere?
PM sent, but I'll post the link here too
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668079
Old 08-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #44
Graemsay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
If you're not looking for off-road capabilities then bear the R1200R in mind.

It's lighter than the GS, reputedly better on the road, cheaper, and isn't owned by everyone and their dog. The Boxers are basically the same bike, so you get the same options (mine has ESA, ASC, ABS and so forth).

BMW are rumoured to be introducing a watercooled Boxer next year in the R1250GS. Might be worth holding off for another six weeks and see what Intermot brings.

The Ducati Multistrada has an excellent reputation. They're giving away a load of freebies with it in the UK, which suggests a revised one might tip up at EICMA or Intermot this year. The KTM SM-T is another option, and they've got a new Adventure in the pipeline. Then there's the Triumph Tiger Explorer, Yamaha Super Tenere, and Honda Crosstourer.
Graemsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #45
bug splat
My Kung-Fu is Strong

Oddometer: 304
Been ridn' my GS since 05, before this bike I used to trade bikes on average every year or so.Will do everything from commuting to touring to back road bombing.Anything ever happens to this bike,I will get another...maybe a different color.

A cat will be your friend,but never your slave.
bug splat is offline   Reply With Quote